Total views : 146
A Novel Compact Multiplicative Inverse Unit of AES for Low Area and Low Power Applications
Objectives: AES(Advanced Encryption Standard) provides strong encrypted information and also it is easy to produce on a miniature die size and consume low power by reducing the number of gates and transistors in the S-box of AES. The main aim of project is to reduce the number of gates in AES S-box to achieve low area and low power. Methods/Analysis: The proposed technique uses the logical level reduction technique to achieve less number of gates by using Boolean logic. The target of the proposed technique is to design the compact multiplicative inverse unit by circuit and gate level implementation in order to achieve low area and low power utilization. The structure of multiplicative inverse unit is reduced by using logical simplification. The simulation is performed by Tanner tool version 14.11 for circuit level implementation based on static complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) logic. This tool also provides the information about number of transistors utilized and power consumption of both existing and proposed multiplicative inverse unit. Findings/Novelty: Several cryptographic techniques such as Data Encryption Standard (DES), AES(Advanced Encryption Standard), blowfish and RC4 are adopted based on various applications for specific purposes. Among various techniques, AES provides high security with low power and low area utilization. The conventional multiplicative inverse (MI) unit of AES has 50 gates to perform the multiplicative inverse (MI) operation. So it needs more area and power. To overcome this problem, Boolean logic is applied to perform the logical simplification of the proposed multiplicative inverse unit. From that, it reduces from 50 gates to 39 gates than the existing Mt unit. Totally, 11 gates are reduced in the proposed multiplicative inverse unit. Always the area is directly proportional to the power consumption. The power consumption of the proposed circuit is reduced from 45.7mw to 36.7mw.The proposed multiplicative inverse unit offers 22% area reduction and 19.6% power reduction than the existing MI unit. Applications/Improvement: In the proposed multiplicative inverse unit, only 4 XOR gates are used instead of 14 XOR gates to perform the operation and this in turn helps to achieve less area and low power. The proposed multiplicative inverse unit based AES is applied for low area and low power with high security applications.
AES, Galois Field Arithmetic, Reduced MI Unit, S-Box, Static CMOS and Boolean Logic
- Efficient Implementation of the Rijndael S-box. Available from: Crossref
- Liu R, Parhi KK. Fast composite field S-Box architectures for advanced encryption standard. Proceedings of the ACM Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI. 2008 May; p. 65-70.Crossref.
- Satoh A, Morioka S, Takano K, Munetoh S. A Compact Rijndael hardware architecture with S-Box optimization.Springer: Advances in Cryptology. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2001 Nov; 2248:239-54.
- Mangard S, Aigner M, Dominikus S. A highly regular and scalable AES hardware architecture. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 2003 Apr; 52(4):483-91. Crossref.
- Ahmad N, Hasan R, Jubadi WM. Design of AES S-Box using combinational logic optimization. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics and Applications. 2010 Oct; p. 696-9. Crossref
- Rach RR, Ananda Mohan PV. Implementation of AES S-Boxes using combinational logic. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems.2008 May; p. 3294-97.
- Chen N, Yan Z. High-performance designs of AES transformations. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Circuits and Systems. 2009 May; p. 2906-9. Crossref
- Vaidehi M, Justus Rabi B. Enhanced Mix Column Design for AES Encryption. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 Dec; 8(35):1-7. Crossref.
- Morioka S, Satoh A. An optimized S-Box circuit architecture for low power AES design. Proceedings of the Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems. 2003 Feb; 2523:172-86.
- Bryant RE. Graph-Based Algorithms for Boolean Function Manipulation. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 1986 Aug; 35(8):677-91. Crossref
- Morioka S, Satoh A. A 10-Gbps Full-AES crypto design with a twisted BDD S-Box architecture. IEEE Transactions on VLSI Systems. 2004 June,12(7), pp.98-103. Crossref
- Nalini C, Anandmohan PV, Poomaiah DV, Kulkarni VD.Compact Designs of Sub Bytes and Mix Column for AES.Proceedings of the IEEE International Advance Computing Conference (IACC 2009). 2009 Mar; p. 1241-7. Crossref.
- Salim PT, Vigneswaran T. FPGA Implementation of Hiding Information using Cryptography. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(19):1-7.
- Ahmad N, Rezaul Hasan SM. Low-power compact composite field AES S-Box/InvS-Box design in 65 nm CMOS using Novel XOR Gate. Integration the VLSI Journal. 2013 Sep; 46(4):333-44.
- Radhika P, Vigneswaran T. Incorporation of optimized AND, OR gates and Half adder into Carry Select Adder using CMOS technique. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2014; 9(22):17083-95.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.