Total views : 548
Lean Tools Execution in a Small Scale Manufacturing Industry for Productivity Improvement- A Case Study
Objective: To study and implement the lean tools and to reduce lead time without much affecting the current working systems in a small scale automotive component manufacturing industry. Method/Analysis: An attempt was made in increasing the capacity of a machining cell with appropriate lean techniques. The enhancement of capacity was to be completed with zero capital investment. Findings: A lean approach by using value stream mapping and line balancing was adopted to improve the performance of the manufacturing cell. By collecting the past production data and deciphering the information, gaps were identified for enhancement. Single Minute Exchange of Dies (SMED) was used to regulate the production and Kaizen was also introduced in all work stations. Leveled operator loading for output consistency was suggested. Finally capacity intensification was achieved without any major capital investment. Application/Improvements: Implementation of lean tools reduced the setup time and idle time. The overall lead time got reduced from 6.9 days to 3.6 days and total cycle time got reduced from 170 to 140 minutes and the customer demand was also met on time by the execution of lean tools.
Cycle Time, Lead Time, Line Balancing, SMED, TAKT Time, VSM.
- Natasy A, Wahab A, Mukhtar M, Sulaiman R. A conceptual model of lean manufacturing dimensions. Procedia Technology. 2013; 11:1292–8.
- Nallusamy S. Frequency analysis of lean manufacturing system by different critical issues in Indian automotive industries. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 23:181–7.
- Soltan H, Mostafa S. Lean and agile performance framework for manufacturing enterprises. Procedia Manufacturing. 2015; 2:476–84.
- Sundar R, Balaji AN, Kumar RMS. A review on lean manufacturing implementation techniques. Procedia Engineering. 2014; 97:1875–85.
- Nallusamy S, Umarmukdhar AMM, Rekha RS. A proposed supply chain model for productivity enhancement in medium scale foundry industries. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 20:248–58.
- Rohac T, Januska M. Value stream mapping demonstration on real casing study. Procedia Engineering. 2015; 100:520–9.
- Nallusamy S. A proposed model for lead time reduction during maintenance of public passenger transport vehicles. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 23:174–80.
- Ratheesh PG. Standardization of work in a manufacturing industry. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2015; 2(8):2395-0072.
- Keyser RS, Sawhney RS. Reliability in lean systems. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management. 2013; 30(3):223–38.
- Nallusamy S. Analysis of static stress in an alloy wheel of the passenger car. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2015; 16:17–25.
- Sheth PP, Deshpande VA, Kardani HR. Value stream mapping: A case study of automotive industry. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 2014; 3(1):310–4.
- Nallusamy S. Enhancement of productivity and efficiency of CNC machines in a small scale industry using total productive maintenance. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 25:119–26.
- Pandit SV, Kadam SJ, Kharat A, Nayakawade CU. Productivity improvement by application of line balancing. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2014; 3(4):11495–502.
- Nallusamy S. Lean manufacturing implementation in a gear shaft manufacturing company using value stream mapping. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2015; 21:231–7.
- Rajenthirakumar D, Caxton RJ, Sivagurunathan S, Balasuadhakar A. Value stream mapping and work standardization as tools for lean manufacturing implementation: A case study of an Indian manufacturing industry. International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology. 2015; 4(3):156–63.
- Nallusamy S, Rekha RS, Balakannan K. A proposed agile based supply chain model for poultry based products in India. International Journal of Poultry Science. 2015; 14(1):57–62.
- Santosh B, Dighe and Kakirde A. Lean manufacturing implementation using value stream mapping: A case study of pumps manufacturing company. International Journal of Science and Research. 2014; 3(6):2492–8.
- Nallusamy S, Kumar DSL, Balakannan K, Chakraborty PS. MCDM tools application for selection of suppliers in manufacturing industries using AHP, Fuzzy logic and ANN. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2015; 19:130–7.
- Ade M, Deshpande. Lean manufacturing and productivity improvement in coal mining industry. International Journal of Engineering Research and Development. 2012; 2(10):35–43.
- Nallusamy S. A proposed model for sustaining quality assurance using TQM practices in small and medium scale industries. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 22:184–90.
- Ramamoorthy, Selladurai. Economical growth in pump manufacturing industries through lean manufacturing system using brainstorming technique: A case study. International Journal of Advanced Economics and Business Management. 2011; 2(1):1–8.
- Nallusamy S, Ganesan M, Balakannan K, Shankar C. Environmental sustainability evaluation for an automobile manufacturing industry using multi-grade fuzzy approach. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2015; 19:123–9.
- Kumar P, Gandhi NMD. Green manufacturing in foundry. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2013; 2(1):1203–7.
- Nallusamy S, et al. Sustainable green lean manufacturing practices in small scale industries- A case study. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015; 10(62):143–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.