Total views : 313
An Energy Efficient Opportunistic Routing Metric for Wireless Sensor Networks
Objectives: Opportunistic Routing (OR) algorithms depends on metric design applied to the forwarder selection and prioritization. The objective is to define new OR metric, which reduces energy consumption in WSN. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In Wireless Sensor Network (WSN), sensor nodes have been supplied with a small amount of energy, using small size battery. Opportunistic Routing (OR) can minimize energy consumption by reducing delay and providing real time data delivery. OR reduces number of retransmissions in network by increasing the number of tentative forwarders. But most of the OR algorithms depends on metric design applied to the forwarder candidate selection and prioritization. Findings: In this paper, a new energy aware opportunistic routing metric called as Energy Depletion Factor (EDF) is proposed for WSN. This metric takes into consideration energy as well as delay. This metric can directly be used with existing opportunistic routing protocols. This metric extends the lifetime of the network by distributing energy consumption load equally in the network. It tells the routing algorithm that which forwarder node is having what impact on its battery life. EDF is local opportunistic routing metric, which reduces end-to-end delay in the network and also increases the network lifetime. To calculate EDF, the concept of residual energy of each node has been used. Application/Improvements: This metric can directly be used with existing opportunistic routing protocols. Simulation results presented the improvement of network lifetime and throughput by using EDF as a routing metric in WSN.
Energy Depletion Factor, End-To-End Delay, Energy Efficiency, Network Lifetime, Opportunistic Routing Metric, Routing Algorithm.
- Akyildiz IF, Kasimoglu IH. Wireless sensor and actor networks: research challenges. Ad hoc networks. 2004; 2(4):351–67.
- Ergen SC, Varaiya P. PEDAMACS: Power efficient and delay aware medium access protocol for sensor networks. IEEE Transactions Mobile Computing. 2006; 5(7):920–30.
- Chipara O, He Z, Xing G, Chen Q, Wang X, Lu C. Real-time power-aware routing in sensor networks. Proceedings of 14th IEEE International Workshop on Quality of Service, New Haven, CT. 2006; 83–92.
- Biswas S, Morris R. ExOR: Opportunistic multi-hop routing for wireless networks. Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM’05, New York, USA. 2005; 133–44.
- De Couto DSJ, Aguayo D, Bicket J, Morris R. A high-throughput path metric for multi-hop wireless routing. Wireless Networks. 2005; 11(4):419–34.
- Royer EM, Perkins CE. An implementation study of the AODV routing protocol. Proceedings of 3rd IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Chicago, IL. 2000. p. 1003–8.
- Busse M, Haenselmann T, Effelsberg W. A lifetime-efficient forwarding strategy for wireless sensor networks. Wireless Sensor Network. [Poster Abstract], 2006; 20.
- Busse M, Haenselmann T, Effelsberg W. An Energy-Efficient Forwarding Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of WOWMOM’06, IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA. 2005; 125–33.
- Cao Q, He T, Fang L, Abdelzaher TF, Stankovic JA, Son SH. Efficiency Centric Communication Model for Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of 25th IEEE INFOCOM, Barcelona, Spain. 2006; 1–12.
- Zhong Z, Wang J, Nelakuditi S, Lu G-H. On selection of candidates for opportunistic anypath forwarding. Proceedings of 10th ACM SIGMOBILE, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC. 2006; 1–2.
- Koksal CE, Balakrishnan H. Quality-aware routing metrics for time-varying wireless mesh networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 2006; 24(11):1984–94.
- Draves R, Padhye J, Zill B. Routing in multi-radio, multi-hop wireless mesh networks. Proceedings of 10th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Microsoft Research Redmond, WA. 2004. p. 114–28.
- Park JC, Kasera SK. Expected data rate: an accurate high-throughput path metric for multi-hop wireless routing. Proceedings of 2nd IEEE SECON’05, Santa Clara, CA. 2005; 218–28.
- Zeng K, Lou W, Yang J, Brown Iii DR. On throughput efficiency of geographic opportunistic routing in multihop wireless networks. Mobile Networks and Applications. 2007; 12(5-6):347–57.
- Hung C-C, Lin KC-J, Hsu C-C, Chou C-F, Tu C-J. On enhancing network-lifetime using opportunistic routing in wireless sensor networks. Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Zurich. 2010. p. 1–6.
- Hsu C-J, Liu H-I, Seah WKG. Opportunistic routing: A review and the challenges ahead. Computer Networks. 2011; 55(15):3592–603.
- Rozner E, Seshadri J, Mehta YA, Qiu L. SOAR: Simple opportunistic adaptive routing protocol for wireless mesh networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 2009; 8(12):1622–35.
- Dubois-Ferriare H, Grossglauser M, Vetterli M. Valuable detours: Least-cost anypath routing. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. 2011; 19(2):333–46.
- Wei C, Zhi C, Fan P, Ben Letaief K. AsOR: an energy efficient multi-hop opportunistic routing protocol for wireless sensor networks over Rayleigh fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2009; 8(5):2452–63.
- Wu J, Lu M, Li F. Utility-based opportunistic routing in multi-hop wireless networks. Proceeding of 28th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems ICDCS'08, Beijing. 2008. p. 470–7.
- Naghshvar M, Javidi T. Opportunistic routing with congestion diversity in wireless multi-hop networks. Proceedings of INFOCOM’10 IEEE, San Diego, CA. 2010; 1–5.
- Chiarotto D, Simeone O, Zorzi M. Spectrum leasing via cooperative opportunistic routing techniques. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2011; 10(9):2960–70.
- Mao X, Tang S, Xu X, Li X-Y, Ma H. Energy-efficient opportunistic routing in wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2011; 22(11):1934–42.
- Coutinho RWL, Boukerche A, Vieira LFM, Loureiro AAF. Transmission power control-based opportunistic routing for wireless sensor networks. Proceedings of 17th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems, Canada. 2014. p. 219–26.
- Wang J, Kim J-U, Shu L, Niu Y, Lee S. A distance-based energy aware routing algorithm for wireless sensor networks. Sensors. 2010; 10(10):9493–511.
- Mikkili RT, Thyagarajan J. A real-time routing protocol with controlled dissemination of data queries by mobile sink in wireless sensor networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(19):1–10.
- Baji BSK, Mohan Rao KRR. Improving the network life time of a wireless sensor network using the integration of progressive sleep scheduling algorithm with opportunistic routing protocol. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(17):1–6.
- Vinothini M, Umamakeswari A. Reliable data transmission using efficient neighbor coverage routing protocol in wireless sensor network. Indian Journal of Science and technology. 2014 Dec; 7(12):2118–23.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.