Total views : 625
EHR Adoption in India: Potential and the Challenges
Background/Objectives: Electronic Health Record are unique electronic documents composed of information like patient history records, demographics, prescribed medications, laboratory reports and computerized tomography etc. to pertaining the patient health care. The main objective of the paper is to review the present adoption rate of EHR in India with respect to global market. Methods/Statistical Analysis: EHR is the key component for the clinical decision support system .To review the current scenario of adaption rate of EHR, bibliographic learning was obtained from many hospital sources. In addition, contact was made with EHR vendors. Findings: During the pilot study of about seven month, around twenty major hospitals encounters in which successfully the EHR system has been implemented. Globally the adoption rate of EHR in major countries are China (96%), Brazil (92%), France (85%), and Russia (93%) in this respect. In year of 2020, globally Market of electronic health records will place at US$25.98 billion as per the reporting of CAGR. Interoperability standards issues; lack of funds; shortage of suitable governance health policies are the major barriers in adoption of EHR in India. Application/Improvements: Adoption and implementation of EHR should be made mandatory in large sized and medium sized hospitals. In upcoming years EHR system require to incorporated a framework of standards, latest tools and consolidation of system providers.
Electronic Health Record, FHIR, HL7, Public Health, Security.
- Farri O, Pieckiewicz DS, Rahman AS. A qualitative analysis of EHR clinical document synthesis by clinicians. AMIA Annual Symposium. 2012 Nov; 2012:1211–20.
- Koppel R, Lehmann CU. Implications of an emerging EHR monoculture for hospitals and healthcare systems. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2015 Mar; 22(2):465–71.
- Kavitha R, Kannan E, Kotteswaran S. Implementation of cloud based electronic health record (EHR) for Indian healthcare needs. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(3).
- Ludwick DA, Doucette J. Adopting electronic medical records in primary care: Lessons learned from health information systems implementation experience in seven countries. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2009 Jan; 78(1):22–31.
- Jha AK, Doolan D, Grandt D, Scott T, Bates DW. The use of health information technology in seven nations. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2008 Dec; 77(12):848–54.
- Camargo JE, Slerra DF, Torres YF. Study of cryptographic algorithms to protect electronic medical records in mobile platform. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(21).
- About HIMSS Asia Pacific India chapter. Available from: http://www.india.himsschapter.org/. Date accessed: 02/01/2016.
- Asia Pacific Report. Available from: http://www.himssanalyticsasia.org/. Date accessed: 05/01/2016.
- Stages of HIMMS. Available from: http://www.himssanalyticsasia.org/about/press.room-pressrelease17.asp. Date accessed: 17/01/2016.
- Analytic Report. Available from: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/directory/himss-analytics. Date accessed: 27/01/2016.
- Zodpey SP, Negandhi HN. Contemporary Issues in Public Health Governance - an Indian Perspective. Indian Journal of Public Health. 2008 Apr-Jun; 52(2):96–9.
- Regulations and Guidelines. Available from: https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-andGuidance/Legislation/EHRIncentivePrograms. Date accessed: 29/01/2016.
- Koppel R, Metlay JP, Cohen A. Role of computerized physician order entry systems in facilitating medication errors. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2005 Mar; 293(10):1197–203.
- Jones SS, Rudin RS, Perry T, Shekelle PG. Health information technology: an updated systematic review with a focus on meaningful use. Journal of Internal Medicine. 2014 Jan; 160(1):48–54.
- Government of India and coordinated by FICCI on its behalf,'Recommendations on Electronic Medical Records Standards in India’: EMR Standards Committee, constituted by an order of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, 2013.
- Lievens F, Jordanova M. Telemedicine and medical informatics: The global approach. Proceedings of World academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2007 Dec; 25(1):258–62.
- Athavale1 AV, Zodpey SP. Public health Informatics in India: The potential and the challenges. Indian Journal of Public Health. 2010 Jul; 54(3):131–6.
- Karthikeyan N, Sukanesh R. Cloud based emergency health care information service in India. Journal of Medical Systems. 2012 May; 36(6):4031–6.
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.’ Electronic Health Record Standards for India’: Report of August, 2013.
- Black AD, Car J, Pagliari C. The impact of eHealth on the quality and safety of health care: a systematic overview. Public Library of Science Medical. 2011 Jan; 8(1):e1000387.
- Williams F, Boren SA, Williams F, Boren SA. The role of the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) in care delivery development in developing countries: a systematic review. Informatics in Primary Care. 2008 May; 16(2):139–45.
- McGinn TG, McCullagh L, Kannry J. Efficacy of an evidence-based clinical decision support in primary care practices: a randomized clinical trial. The Journal of the American Medical Association Intern Med. 2013 Sep; 173(17):1584–91.
- Healthcare Services Platform Consortium. Available from: http://healthcaresoa.org. Date accessed: 02/02/2016.
- Report of Russian EHR. Available from: http://www.cnet.com/news/ibm-to-digitize-records-for-russian-hospitals/. Date accessed: 03/02/2016.
- Digitize Record. Available from: http://www.healthtech.com/uploadedFiles/Scope/SCOPE_Brochure.pdf. Date accessed: 05/02/2016.
- Report of Brazil EHR market. Available from: https://store.frost.com/electronic-medical-records-emr-marketin-brazil.html. Date accessed: 02/02/2016.
- Chun JR, Hong HG. Factors Affecting on Personal Health Record. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S8):173–9.
- Health information. Available from: http://www.atlantis- press.com/php/download _paper.php. Date accessed: 7/02/2016.
- Federal Health IT Strategic Plan 2015-2020. Available from: http://www.healthit.gov/sites/default/files /federalhealthIT-strategic-plan-2014.pdf. Date accessed: 10/02/2016.
- EHR penetration. Available from: http://archivehealthcare.financialexpress.com/sections/it-healthcare/2151-ehr. Date accessed: 17/02/2016.
- Meaningful use driving growth of EHR marketplace. Available from: http://www.physicianspractice.com/meaningful-use/study-meaningful-use-driving-growth.Date accessed: 19/02/2016.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.