Total views : 233
A Perspective View of different Techniques Used in Different Phases of Load Testing
Background/Objectives: To determine the quality and system characteristics, load testing has paramount importance in addition to the traditional functional testing. This study will be useful for the researchers to detect performance problems under load. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This comprehensive study is focussed on analysing different techniques for designing the load using workload intensity and workload mix in operational profiles as well as use of system models techniques and source code analysis techniques. We compare and contrast various approaches applied in load execution phase and load analysis phase. Findings: To deal with the load related problems and for recording system behaviour, realistic load test cases are designed to see functionality. Load execution testing can be done by human beings, load testing tools and also there is a use of special platforms. After completion of load test, performance analyst use tools to perform comparison against a predefined threshold values. Applications/Improvements: Although there are many existing techniques which shows correlation between performance metrics and anomalies but in practice, valid performance techniques are often limited. So, there is a need to put attention on these issues as a future work.
Load Analysis Phase, Load Testing, Monitoring Test Execution.
- Janani V, Krishnamoorthy K. Evaluation of cloud based performance testing for online shopping websites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 35(8).
- Kalita M, Khanikar S, Bezboruah T. Investigation on performance testing and evaluation of PReWebN: a Java technique for implementing web application. IET Software. 2011Oct; 5(5):434-44.
- Avritzer A, Weyuker J. The Automatic Generation of Load Test Suites and the Assessment of the Resulting Software. IEEE Transactions On Software Engineering.1995 Sep; 21(9).
- Yang CSD, Pollock LL. Towards a structural load testing tool. Proceedings of the 1996 ACM SIGSOFT international symposium on Software testing and analysis (ISSTA).1996; 201-08.
- Matheus SL. An Genetic Algorithm Approach for Profiling Computational Performance Measures. Peer J. Pre. Prints. 2015 Feb.
- Malik H, Jiang ZM, Adams B, Hassan E, Flora P, Hamann. Automatic Comparison of Load Tests to Support the Performance Analysis of Large Enterprise Systems. IEEE 14th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Re-engineering. 2010 March.
- Maplesden D, Tempero E, Hosking J, Grundy JC. Performance Analysis for Object-Oriented Software: A Systematic Mapping. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. 2015; 41(7).
- Sarojadevi H. Performance Testing: Methodologies and Tools. Journal of Information Engineering. 2012; 2(3).
- Grguri J, Mošmondor M, Lazarevski P. Load testing and performance monitoring tools in use with AJAX based web Applications. MIPRO. Opatija, Croatia. 2010 May; 24-28.
- Avritzer A, Weyuker EJ. Generating test suites for software load testing. Proceedings of the ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis ISSTA. 1994; 44–57.
- Lim BH, Kim JR, Shim KH. Hierarchical Load Testing Architecture Using Large Scale Virtual Clients. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on ICME. 2006.
- Briand LC, Labiche Y, Shousha M. Stress testing real-time systems with genetic algorithms. Proceedings of the Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GECCO), 2005, p. 1021-28.
- Weyuker EJ, Avritzer A. A metric for predicting the performance of an application under a growing workload. IBM System Journal. 2002 Jan; 41(1):45-54.
- Hill J, Schmidt D, Edmondson J, Gokhale A. Tools for continuously evaluating distributed system qualities. IEEE Software Journal. 27(4); 2010 Jul; 65-71.
- Barna. C, Litoiu M, Ghanbari H. Autonomic load testing framework. Proceedings of the 8th ACM International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC), 2011.
- Foo K, Jiang ZM, Adams B, Hassan AE, Zou1 Y, Flora P. Mining Performance Regression Testing Repositories for Automated Performance Analysis. Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Quality Software, 2010, p. 32-41.
- Byoungju C, Yoon M, Kim H. An Approach to Developing a Performance Test Based on the Tradeoffs from SW Architectures. Journal of Software Engineering and Applications. 2013; 6:184-95.
- Malik H, Jiang Z, Adams B, Flora P, Hamann G. Automatic comparison of load tests to support the performance analysis of large enterprise systems. Proceedings of the 14th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (CSMR). 2010 Mar.
- Alesio SD, Briand LC, Nejati S, Gotlieb A. Combining Genetic Algorithms And Constraint Programming To Support Stress Testing Of Task Deadlines. ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology. 25(1); 2015 Dec.
- Menasce DA, Almeida VAF, Fonseca R, Mendes MA. A methodology for workload characterization of e-commerce sites. Proceedings of the 1st ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce (EC). 1999; 119-28.
- Afzal W, Torkar R, Feldt R. A systematic review of search-based testing for non-functional system properties. Information and Software Technology. 2009; 957-76.
- Briand LC, Labiche Y, Shousha M. Using genetic algorithms for early schedule ability analysis and stress testing in real-time systems. Genet Program Evolvable. 2006 Mar; 145-70. DOI 10.1007/s10710-006-9003-9.
- Garousi V, Briand LC, Labiche Y. Traffic-aware Stress Testing of Distributed Systems Based on UML Models. Proceedings - International Conference on Software Engineering, 2006 Jan.
- Wang X, Zhou B, Li W. Model Based Load Testing of Web Applications. IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing with Application, 2010. 978-0-7695-4190-7.
- Lim BH, Kim JR, Shim KS. A Load Testing Architecture For Networked Virtual Environment. 8th IEEE International Conference Advanced Communication Technology, 2006.
- Bora A, Bezboruah T. Investigation on Security Implementation and Performance Aspects of MedWS: a Hierarchical SOAP based Web Service. International Journal of Database Theory and Application. 7(14); 2014:169-88.
- Ho CW, Williams L. Deriving Performance Requirements and Test Cases with the Performance Refinement and Evolution Model (PREM). Proceedings of 15th IEEE international Requirement Engineering Conference, 2007, p. 79-88.
- Malik H, Adams B, Hassan AE, Flora P, Hamann G. Using Load Tests To Automatically Compare the Subsystems of a Large Enterprise System. Proceedings of the 14th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (CSMR), Mar 2010.
- Luo Q, Nair A, Grechanik M, Poshyvanyk D. FOREPOST: Finding Performance Problems Automatically with Feedback-Directed Learning Software Testing. Empirical Software Engineering Journal, 1382-3256, Springer, US.
- Mohamad S, Joao B, Cangussu W. Automatic Stress and Load Testing for Embedded Systems. Proceedings of COMPSAC. 2006 Sep; 2:229-33.
- Grechanik M, Csallner C, Fu C, Xie Q. Is Data Privacy Always Good For Software Testing? Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE 21st International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE), 2010 Nov, p. 368-77.
- Bora A, Bezboruah T. Testing and Evaluation of a Hierarchical SOAP based Medical Web Service. International Journal of Database Theory and Application.; 2014; 7(5):145-60.
- Malik H, Adams B, Hassan AE. Pinpointing the subsystems responsible for the performance deviations in a load test. Proceedings of the IEEE 21st International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE 2010), 2010 Nov.
- Barros MD, Shiau J, Shang C, Gidewall K, Shi H, Forsmann J. Web Services Wind Tunnel: On Performance Testing Large-scale Stateful Web Services. Proceedings of the 37th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), 2007, 612-17.
- Meira J, Almeida ECD, Suny G, Traon YL, Valduriez P. Stress testing of transactional database systems. Journal of Information and Data Management (JIDM). 2013; 4(3):279-94.
- Snellman N, Ashraf A, Porres I. Towards Automatic Performance and Scalability Testing of Rich Internet Applications in the Cloud. Proceedings of the 37th IEEE EUROMICRO Conference on Software Engineering and Advance applications, 2011.
- Duttagupta S, Nambiar M. Performance Extrapolation for Load Testing Results of Mixture of Applications. Proceedings of the Fifth UK Sim European Symposium on Computer Modelling and Simulation (EMS), 2011 Nov.
- Denaro G, Polini A, Emmerich W. Early Performance Testing of Distributed Software Applications. ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering, 2004.
- Yi T. Comparison Research of two typical UML Class Diagram Metrics Experimental Software Engineering. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Application and System Modelling, 2010.
- Westermann D, Happe J. Towards Performance Prediction of Large Enterprise Applications Based on Systematic Measurements. In: Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Workshop on Component-Oriented Programming (WCOP), 2010.
- Che X, Maag S. Passive Testing on Performance Requirements of Network Protocols. 27th IEEE International Conference on WAINA, 2013 Mar.
- Sharma AK. Empirical Analysis of web service testing tools. IJETMAS, 2015.
- Draheim D, Grundy J, Hosking J. Realistic Load Testing of Web Applications. Proceedings of the Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (CSMR); 2006, 57-70.
- Menasce DA. Scaling the web load testing of web sites. IEEE Internet Computing, 2002, 1089-7801/02.
- Casale G, Kalbasi A, Krishnamurthy D, Rolia J. Automatic Stress Testing of Multi-Tier Systems by Dynamic Bottleneck Switch Generation. Proceedings of the ACM 10th International Conference on Middlewar, 2009, Springer-Verlag.
- Syer MD, Jiang ZM, Nagappan M, Hassan AE, Nasser M, Flora P. Leveraging Performance Counters and Execution Logs to Diagnose Memory-Related Performance Issues. Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM), 2013.
- Baone CA, Veda S, Pan Y, Premerlani W, Dai J, Johnson A. Measurement based Static Load Model Identification. IEEE Poer and Energy Society General Meeting, 2015; 978-1-4673-8040-9.
- Karr AF, Porter AA. Distributed Performance Testing using Statistical Modelling. In: ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, 2005.
- Harrold MJ. Testing A Roadmap. In Future of Software Engineering, Ireland, ACM Publications, 2000.
- Dujmovic JJ. Universal Benchmark Suites. 7th IEEE International Symposium of Modeling Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, 1999.
- Bernald DJ, Watkins. Investing The Performance of Genetic Algorithm Based Software Case Generation. IEEE International Symposium of High Assurance System Engineering, 2004.
- Jiang ZM, Hassan AE. A Survey on Load Testing of Large Scale Software Systems. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 2015 Jun.
- Jiang ZM, Hassan AE, Hamann G, Flora P. Automatic Identification of Load Testing Problems. In: Proceedings of the 24th IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM), 2008.
- Kalibera T, Tuma P. Precise Regression Benchmarking with Random Effects: Improving Mono Benchmark Results. In: Proceedings of 3rd European Performance Engineering Workshop, EPEW, Budapest, Hungary, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2006 Jun.
- Calzarossa M, Serazzi G.Workload Characterization: A Survey. In: Proceedings of IEEE, 1993.
- Dillenseger B. CLIF, a framework based on Fractal for flexible, distributed load testing. in Annual telecommunications; Springer-Verlag, France, 2008.
- Yan M, Sun H, Liu X, Deng T, Wang X. Delivering Web service load testing as a service with a global cloud. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 2014.
- Krishnamurthy D, Rolia J, Majumdar S. SWAT: A Tool for Stress Testing Session-based Web Applications. International CMG Conference ,2003.
- Avritzer A, Weyuker EJ. The Automatic Generation of Load Test Suites and the Assessment of the Resulting Software. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. 1995 Sep; 21(9).
- Jiang ZM, Hassan AE, Hamann G, Flora P. Automated Performance Analysis of Load Tests. IEEE Conference on Software Maintenance, 2009.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.