Total views : 292
Speech Enhancement using Kalman Filter with Preprocessed Digital Expander in Noisy Environment
Objective: The primary objective of the Speech Enhancement algorithms is to enrich the superiority of speech. The superiority of speech is articulated in two factors, clarity and other is intelligibility. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The method to improve the quality of speech in this paper is proposed based on computationally efficient AR modeled Kalman Filter with digital compressor/expander. This approach is based on reconstruction of noisy speech signal using digital expander and further enhancement with Auto Regressive modeled Kalman filter. Findings: The results of proposed method in terms of SNR and intelligibility are found to be better compared to earlier methods like spectral subtraction; wiener filter and Kalman filter methods. Application/Improvement: This study suggests that improvement in speech signal recovery in noisy environment helping researchers for developing efficient devices in the field of Speech recognition systems, Speech based authentication systems, audio processing devices and so on.
Digital Compressor/Expander, Digital Filters, Intelligibility, SNR, Spectral Subtraction, Speech Enhancement, Wiener Filter.
- Boll S. Suppression of acoustic noise in speech using spectral subtraction. IEEE Trans Acoust, Speech, and Sig Proc. 1979; 27(2):113–20.
- Benesty J, Makino S, Chen J editors. Speech Enhancement. Berlin: Springer; 2005.
- Prasad G, Surendar S. A review of different approaches of spectral subtraction algorithms for speech. Enhancement Current Research in Engineering, Science and Technology (CREST) Journals. 2013; 1(2):57–64.
- Spriet A, Moonen M, Wouters J. Spatially pre-processed speech distortion weighted multi-channel Wiener filtering for noise reduction. Signal Processing. 2004; 84(12):2367–87.
- Alam MJD. Perceptual improvement of Wiener filtering employing a post-filter. Digital Signal Processing. 2010; 21(1):54–65.
- Paliwal KK, Basu A. A speech enhancement method based on Kalman filtering. Proceedings of ICASSP’; Dallas, TX, USA. 1987; 7(5):510–24.
- Ganesan V, Manoharan S. Surround noise cancellation and speech enhancement using sub band filtering and spectral subtraction. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(33). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i33/77774.
- Kallakunta RK, Bhavani L, Spandana P, Rishitha K, Ashitha G. Removal of real world noise in speech: Comparision of various parameters using kalman and h-infinity filter algorithms. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(30).
- Padmavathi G, Shanmugavel S. Performance analysis of cooperative spectrum sensing technique for low SNR regime over fading channels for cognitive radio networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(16). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i16/64746.
- Ramu SS, Umadevi S. Realization of low power FIR digital filter using modified DA-based architecture. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(18). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i19/77161.
- Hong D-H, Choi J-K, Kim G-J, Kim H-G. A study on the size of bore on Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(20). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i20/94683.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.