Total views : 256
A New Hybrid Fractal based Color Image Compression in YCbCr Scheme and Discrete Cosine Transform with Quadtree and Isosceles Triangle Segmentation Approach
Color Image compression has become an important technology to decrease memory space and to reduce transmission time. The present study provides comparative values between RGB and YCbCr color spaces with respect to PSNR, execution time and compression ratio. Fractal coding is a valuable method which utilizes for compression of color image. This method is most suitable for irregular shape of images. Long encoding times still remain as main disadvantage of this compression technique. A hybrid fractal coding technique based on YCbCr scheme and Discrete Cosine Transform (DCT) with quadtree and isosceles triangle segmentation is proposed in the present study. The study needs six phases, first, conversion of input RGB image to YCbCr scheme; second, the resulting image (YCbCr) is partitioned separately based on quadtree approach and isosceles triangle segmentation approach; third, DCT is applied to every block of the partition, fourth, scanning of every block value and zigzag manner is applied to prevent zero co-efficient; fifth, both quad tree and isosceles triangle segmentation approaches are applied separately for having partitioned resulting image; sixth, to compress the image, Run Length Encoding (RLE) approach is utilized. Test results demonstrate that proposed strategy gives higher compression ratio, PSNR value with high processing speed without degrading the image quality.
Affine Transformation, Discrete Cosine Transform (DCT), Fractal Compression, Isosceles Triangle Segmentation, Iterated Function System (IFS), Partitioned Iterated Function System (PIFS), Quadtree Partition, Run Length Encoding (RLE), YCbCr Transform
- Barnsley MF, Demko S. Iterated function systems and the global construction of fractals. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical.v 1985 Jun; 399:243–75.
- Barnsley MF, Hurd LP. Fractal image compression. Wellesley, MA: A. K. Peter; 1993.
- Jacquin AE. Image coding based on a fractal theory of iterated contractive image transformations. IEEE Transactions Image Processing. 1992 Jan; 1:18–30.
- Methods and apparatus for image compression by iterated function systems. Available from: http://www.google.co.in/ patents/US4941193
- Graf S. Barnsley’s scheme for the fractal encoding of images. Journal of Complexity. 1992 Mar; 8(1):72–8.
- Pi M, Mandal MK, Basu A. Image retrieval based on histogram of fractal parameters. IEEE Transactions Multimedia. 2005 Aug; 7(4):597–605.
- Jeng JH, Tseng CC, Hsieh JG. Study on Huber fractal image compression. IEEE Transactions Image Process. 2009 May; 18(5):995–1003.
- Ghazel M, Freeman GH, Vrscay ER. Fractal image denoising. IEEE Transactions Image Process. 2003 Dec; 12(12):1560–78.
- Ghazel M, Freeman GH, Vrscay ER. Fractal-wavelet image denoising revisited. IEEE Trans Image Process. 2006 Sep; 15(9):2669–75.
- Wang SS, Tsai SL. Automatic image authentication and recovery using fractal code embedding and image inpainting. Pattern Recognition. 2008 Feb; 41(2):701–12.
- Lian SG. Image authentication based on fractal features. Fractals. 2008 Dec; 16(4):287–97.
- Lin KT, Yeh SL. Encrypting image by assembling the fractal- image addition method and the binary encoding method. Optics Communications. 2012 May; 285(9):2335–42.
- Tang X, Qu C. Facial image recognition based on fractal image encoding. Bell Labs Technical Journal. 2010 Jun; 15(1):209–14.
- Selim A, Hadhoud M, Salem MO. A comparison study between spiral and traditional fractal image compression. International Conference on Computer Engineering and Systems; 2002. p. 39–44.
- Kaur G, Hitashi, Singh G. Performance evaluation of image quality based on fractal image compression. International Journal of Computers and Technology. 2012 Feb; 2(1):1–8.
- Barnsley MF, Sloan D. A better way to compress images. Journal of BYTE. 1988 Jan; 13(1):215–23.
- Das S, Ghoshal D. A proposed hybrid color image compression based on fractal coding with quadtree and discrete cosine transform. International Journal of Computer, Electrical, Automation, Control and Information Engineering. 2015; 9(11):2065–72.
- Rawat CS, Meher S. A hybrid image compression scheme using DCT and fractal image compression. The International Arab Journal of Information Technology. 2013 Nov; 10(6):553–62.
- Zhao Y, Zhu Z, Yu H. Fractal color image coding based on isosceles triangle segmentation. International Workshop on Chaos-Fractal Theory and its Applications; 2010 Oct. p. 486–90.
- Lin C. Face detection in complicated backgrounds and different illumination conditions by using YCbCr color space and neural network. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2007 Dec; 28(16):2190–200.
- Kang B, Jeon C, Han DK, Ko H. Adaptive height-modified histogram equalization and chroma correction in YCbCrcolor space for fast backlight image compensation. Image and Vision Computing. 2011 Jul; 29(8):557–68.
- Chaves-Gonzalez JM, Vega-Rodriguez MA, Gomez-Pulido JA, Sanchez-Perez JM. Detecting skin in face recognition systems: A colour spaces study. Digital Signal Processing. 2010 May; 20(3):806–23.
- Algorithms for massive data sets context-based compression. CS 493; 1:1–3. Available from: www.docstoc. com/docs/54164044/Run-length encoding
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.