Total views : 308
Inter-Agencies Knowledge Sharing Factors in Flood Management
Objectives: The objective of this paper is to uncover the inter-agencies knowledge sharing factors in flood management that support knowledge management activities among related agencies. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This paper engages content analysis technique based on three perspectives namely technological; organizational and managerial; and political and policies. Cohen’s kappa inter-rater was engaged to validate data gathered from semi-structured interview sessions with 19 senior officers involved in Malaysian flood management. Findings: This paper discovers a total of twelve (including three new) influencing factors for inter-agencies knowledge sharing. Application/Improvements: The results highlight the influencing factors for inter-agencies knowledge sharing for flood management domain and provide further research direction.
Content Analysis, Flood Management, Inter-Agencies, Knowledge Sharing, Qualitative Research.
- Flood damage estimate tops rm1b. Available from: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/flood-damage-estimate-tops-rm1b
- Othman SH, Beydoun G, Sugumaran V. Development and validation of a Disaster Management Metamodel (DMM). Information Processing and Management . 2014 Mar; 50(2):235–71.
- Yang TM, Maxwell TA. Information-sharing in public organizations: A literature review of interpersonal, intra-organizational and inter-organizational success factors. Government Information Quarterly. 2011 Apr; 28 (2):164–75.
- Lee WJ, Jun J, Lee T. Sharing behavior and its relationship with core competencies of a company: A grounded theory approach . Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(5):1–9.
- Dawes SS. Interagency information sharing: Expected benefits, manageable risks. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management. 1996; 15(3): 377−94.
- Gil-Garcia JR, Chengalur-Smith I, Duchessi P. Collaborative e-government: Impediments and benefits of information-sharing projects in the public sector. European Journal of Information Systems. 2007 Apr; 16(2):121−33.
- Luna-Reyes LF, Andersen DF, Richardson GP, Pardo TA, Cresswell AM. Emergence of the governance structure for information integration across governmental agencies: A system dynamics approach. Proceedings of the 8th Annual International Conference on Digital Government Research: Bridging Disciplines and Domains; 2007. p. 47–56.
- Zhang J, Dawes SS. Expectations and perceptions of benefits, barriers, and success in public sector knowledge networks. Public Performance and Management Review. 2006 Jun; 29 (4):433–66.
- Abzari M, Teimouri H. The effective factors on knowledge sharing in organizations. The International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management. 2008; 8(2):105–14.
- Suppiah V, Sandhu MS. Organisational culture's influence on tacit knowledge-sharing behaviour. Journal of Knowledge Management. 2011; 15(3):462–77.
- Gupta S. Worlds apart? Challenges of multi-agency partnership in participatory watershed development in rajasthan, India. An Open Access Journal Development Studies Research. 2014 Aug; 1(1):100–12.
- Al-Alawi AI, Al-Marzooqi NY, Mohammed YF. Organizational culture and knowledge sharing: Critical success factors. Journal of Knowledge Management. 2007; 11(2):22–42.
- Mishra JL, Allen DK, Pearman AD. Information sharing during multi-agency major incidents. Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 2011; 48 (1):1–10.
- Atabakhsh H, Larson C, Petersen T, Violette C, Chen H. Information sharing and collaboration policies within government agencies. Springer; 2004 Jun. p. 467–75.
- Brazelton J, Gorry GA. Creating a knowledge-sharing community: If you build it, will they come? Communications of the ACM. 2003 Feb; 46(2):23−5.
- Landsbergen D, Wolken G. Realizing the promise: Government information systems and the fourth generation of information technology. Public Administration Review. 2001 Mar -Apr; 61(2):206–20.
- Akbulut AY, Kelle P, Pawlowski SD, Schneider H, Dooney CA. To share or not to share? Examining the factors influencing local agency electronic information sharing. International Journal of Business Information Systems. 2009 Jan; 4(2):143−72.
- Canestraro DS, Pardo TA, Raup-Kounovsky ANTaratus D. Regional telecommunication incident coordination: Sharing information for rapid response. Information polity. The International Journal of Government and Democracy in the Information Age. 2009 Apr; 14(1):113−26.
- Chau M, Atabakhsh H, Zeng D, Chen H. Building an infrastructure for law enforcement information sharing and collaboration: Design issues and challenges. National Conference on Digital Government; 2001. p. 1–6.
- Gil-Garcia JR, Pardo TA, Burke G. Conceptualizing information integration in government. Advances of Management Information Systems. 2009 May; 179–202.
- Luna-Reyes LF, Gil-Garcia JR, Cruz CB. Collaborative digital government in mexico: Some lessons from federal web-based interorganizational information integration initiatives. Government Information Quarterly. 2007 Oct; 24(4):808–26.
- Pardo TA, Cresswell AM, Dawes SS, Burke GB. Modeling the social and technical processes of interorganizational information integration. Proceedings of the 37th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences; Hawaii. 2004 Jan.
- Pardo TA, Gil-Garcia JR, Burke GB. Building response capacity through cross-boundary information sharing: The critical role of trust. Exploiting the Knowledge Economy: Issues, Applications, Case Studies; 2006 Oct. p. 1–8.
- Rousseau DM, Sitkin SB, Burt RS, Camerer C. Not so different after all: A cross-discipline view of trust. Academy of management review. 1998 Jul; 23(3):393–404.
- Li S, Lin B. Accessing information sharing and information quality in supply chain management. Decision Support Systems. 2006 Dec; 42(3):1641–56.
- Gil-Garcia JR, Pardo TA, Burke GB. Government leadership in multi-sector it-enabled networks: Lessons from the response to the west nile virus outbreak. Proceedings of Workshop 4: Leading in a Multi-Sector Environment; 2007 May-Jun. p. 1–27.
- Lazer D, Binz-Scharf MC. Information sharing in e-government projects: Managing novelty and cross-agency cooperation. Report Prepared for the IBM Endowment for the Business of Government; 2004. p. 1–28.
- Zhang J, Dawes SS, Sarkis J. Exploring stakeholders' expectations of the benefits and barriers of e-government knowledge sharing. Journal of Enterprise Information Management. 2005; 18(5):548–67.
- Gil-Garcia JR, Pardo TA. E-government success factors: Mapping practical tools to theoretical foundations. Government Information Quarterly. 2005 May; 22(2):187−216.
- Lam W. Barriers to e-government integration. Journal of Enterprise Information Management. 2005; 18(5):511–30.
- Perri, Bellamy C, Raab C, Warren A, Heeney C. Institutional shaping of interagency working: Managing tensions between collaborative working and client confidentiality. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. 2007; 17(3):405–34.
- Brijesh S. Knowledge management: A key driver for entrepreneurship-an empirical study with special reference to software firms in pune. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(20):1–8.
- Bencana P. Arahan mkn no. 20 : Dasar dan mekanisme pengurusan bencana negara; 2012.
- Chan NW. Impacts of disasters and disaster risk management in malaysia: The case of floods. Resilience and Recovery in Asian Disasters. 2015; 18:239–65.
- Worst floods in kelantan, confirms nsc. Available from: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/worst-floods-in-kelantan-confirms-nsc
- Jumlah mangsa banjir di seluruh negara semakin menghampiri 200,000 orang. Available from: http://www.astroawani.com/berita-banjir/jumlah-mangsa-banjir-di-seluruh-negara-semakin-menghampiri-200-000-orang-51114
- Baharuddin KA, Wahab SFA, Ab Rahman NHN, Mohamad NAN, Kamauzaman THT, Noh AYM, Majid MRA. The record-setting flood of 2014 in kelantan: Challenges and recommendations from an emergency medicine perspective and why the medical campus stood dry. The Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences: MJMS. 2015 Mar-Apr; 22(2):1–7.
- Maidin SS, Othman M, Ahmad MN, Arshad NH. Managing information and information-related technology: Enabling decision-making in flood management. International Journal of Digital Content Technology and its Applications. 2014 Apr; 8(2):13–28.
- Chatfield AT, Brajawidagda U. Twitter early tsunami warning system: A case study in indonesia's natural disaster management. Proceedings of 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS). 2013 Jan. p. 2050–60.
- Negara JPMMK. Dasar dan mekanisme pengurusan bencana negara. Directive 20 (revised): National Disaster Management Policy and Mechanisme. Malaysia; 1997.
- Hussain TPRS, Nor ARM, Ismail H. The level of satisfaction towards flood management system in Kelantan. Malaysia Jornal of Social Sciences and Humanities. 2014; 22(1):257–69.
- Williams BC, Plouffe CR. Assessing the evolution of sales knowledge: A 20-year content analysis. Industrial Marketing Management. 2007 May; 36(4):408–19.
- Sedek M, Mahmud R, Jalil HA, Daud SM. Factors influencing ubiquitous technology usage among engineering undergraduates: A confirmatory factor analysis. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research 19 (Innovation Challenges in Multidiciplinary Research & Practice). 2014. p. 18–27.
- Weiser M. Some computer science issues in ubiquitous computing. Communications of the ACM. 1993 Jul; 36(7):75–84.
- Yahya S, Ahmad EA, Jalil KA. The definition and characteristics of ubiquitous learning: A discussion. International Journal of Education and Development using Information and Communication Technology. 2010; 6(1):117–27.
- Willem A, Buelens M. Knowledge sharing in public sector organizations: The effect of organizational characteristics on interdepartmental knowledge sharin. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. 2007 Jan; 17(4):581–606.
- Freeman J, Rossi J. Agency coordination in shared regulatory space. Harvard Law Review. 2012 Mar; 125:1131–211.
- Fisher E. What practitioners consider to be the skills and behaviours of an effective people project manager. International Journal of Project Management. 2011 Dec; 29(8):994–1002.
- Suter E, Arndt J, Arthur N, Parboosingh J, Taylor E, Deutschlander S. Role understanding and effective communication as core competencies for collaborative practice. Journal of Interprofessional care. 2009 Jan; 23(1):41–51.
- Rehman M, Mahmood AKB, Salleh R, Amin A. Review of factors affecting knowledge sharing behavior. Proceedings of 2011 International Conference on E-business, Management and Economics IPEDR; Hong Kong: IACSIT Press. 2011. p. 223–7.
- Shamir B. Calculations, values, and identities: The sources of collectivistic work motivation. Human Relations. 1990 Apr; 43(4):313–32.
- Tajfel H. Social identity and intergroup relations. Cambridge University Press; 2010 Jun.
- Marks P, Polak P, McCoy S, Galletta D. Sharing knowledge. Communications of the ACM. 2008 Feb; 51(2):60–5.
- Witherspoon CL, Bergner J, Cockrell C, Stone DN. Antecedents of organizational knowledge sharing: A meta-analysis and critique. Journal of Knowledge Management. 2013; 17(2):250–77.
- Fang SC, Yang CW, Hsu WY. Inter-organizational knowledge transfer: The perspective of knowledge governance. Journal of Knowledge Management. 2013; 17(6):943–57.
- Simsek Z, Lubatkin MH, Floyd SW. Inter-firm networks and entrepreneurial behavior: A structural embeddedness perspective . Journal of Management. 2003 Jan; 29(3):427–42.
- Ley B, Pipek V, Siebigteroth T, Wiedenhoefer T. Retrieving and exchanging of information in inter-organizational crisis management. Proceedings of the Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM’13); 2013 May. p. 812–22.
- Zack MH. Managing codified knowledge. Sloan Management Review. 1999; 40(4):45–58.
- Warkentin M, Bapna R, Sugumaran V. E-knowledge networks for inter-organizational collaborative e-business. Logistics Information Management. 2001; 14 (1/2):149–63.
- Frederickson HG. Toward a theory of the public for public administration. Administration and Society. 1991 Feb; 22(4):395–417.
- Feldman HL. Prudence, benevolence, and negligence: Virtue ethics and tort law. Chi-Kent L Rev. 2000; 74:1431–66.
- Mayer RC, Davis JH, Schoorman FD. An integrative model of organizational trust. Academy of Management Review. 1995 Jul; 20(3):709–34.
- Malone TW, Crowston K. What is coordination theory and how can it help design cooperative work systems? Proceedings of the 1990 ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work; 1990. p. 357–70.
- Malone TW, Crowston K. The interdisciplinary study of coordination. ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR). 1994 Mar; 26(1):87–119.
- Ashforth BE, Mael F. Social identity theory and the organization. Academy of Management Review. 1989 Jan; 14(1):20–39.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.