Total views : 363
Evidence for the Contemporary Clinical Pathway Quality Measures: Literature Review
Objectives: Clinical pathway effect on improving the healthcare quality still underestimated. An overview on clinical pathway current practice overview will be presented in the context of this paper. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A search for the medical literature was conducted to screen the contemporary evidence. We focused on finding the gold standard for clinical pathway quality measures and the current status of clinical pathway in Malaysia. Various databases (MEDLINE, EMBASE, Pub Med, COHRANCE library and CINAHEL) have been screened for 2000 to 2015 studies. Checklist of the preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses has been used as a guide for reporting. Findings: The search has identified 720 documents, of which 315 (44%) met the inclusion criteria of this study. Twenty meta-analysis studies have been found, while only nine have completely fulfilled the search inclusion criteria. Mostly they discussed the length of stay, patient outcome and cost from RCT (Randomized Clinical Trial) or EXP (experimental design) evidence as a quality indicator for the clinical pathway which may under represent the complexity nature of clinical pathway and ignored many aspects of care. The majority of publications in Malaysia found from (UKM) with similar heterogeneous focus on the outcome measures to what have been found in the overall literature. Interestingly, we found that no meta-analysis study has been conducted in Malaysia for clinical pathway. Application/Improvements: Current research on clinical pathway still limited. More Studies on the effect of clinical pathway on quality of care still needed with emphasize on the cofounding factors.
Clinical Pathway, Literature Review, Quality and Evidence based Medicine.
- Rotter T, Kinsman L, James E, Machotta A, Steyerberg EW. The quality of the evidence base for clinical pathway effectiveness: Room for improvement in the design of evaluation trials. BMC Med Research Methodology. 2012; 12:80.
- Neuman MD, Archan S, Karlawish JH, Schwartz JS, Fleisher L. The relationship between short-term mortality and quality of care for hip fracture: A meta-analysis of clinical pathways for hip fracture. Journal of American Geriatric Society. 2009; 57:2046–54.
- Haidich A. Meta-analysis in medical research. Hippokratia. 2010; 14:29–37.
- Checklist P. PRISMA Checklist PRISMA Checklist. Available from: http://prisma-statement.org/documents/PRISMA 2009 checklist.pdf
- Lodewijckx C. Eight-step method to build the clinical content of an evidence-based care pathway: The case for COPD exacerbation. Trials. 2012; 13:229.
- Latif JY, Razak BT, Lumpur CK. Clinical pathways: Development and implementation at a tertiary hospital in Malaysia. International Journal of Public Health Research. 2012; 2(2):153–160.
- Vanhaecht K, De Witte K, Sermeus W. The impact of clinical pathways on the organisation of care processes [PhD dissertation]. KULeuven, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven; 2007. p. 154.
- Rotter T. The effects of clinical pathways on professional practice, patient outcomes, length of stay, and hospital costs: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis. Eval Health Prof. 2012; 35:3–27.
- Croucher M. An evaluation of the quality of integrated care pathway development in the UK National Health Service. Journal of Integrating Pathways. 2000; 6:8.
- English M. Explaining the effects of a multifaceted intervention to improve inpatient care in rural Kenyan hospitals--interpretation based on retrospective examination of data from participant observation, quantitative and qualitative studies. Implement Sci. 2002; 6:124.
- Cheah J. Clinical pathways- An evaluation of its impact on the quality of care in an acute care general hospital in Singapore. Singapore Medical Journal. 2000; 41:335–46.
- Aniza I, Saperi S, Aljunid S. Clinical pathway as a strategy in improving healthcare quality and cost containment. Med Health. 2008; 3:239–46.
- Tay HL, Latifah RJR, Razak I. Clinical pathways in primary dental care in Malaysia: Clinicians’ knowledge, perceptions and barriers faced. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2006; 18:33–41.
- Sulong S, Cendera H, Osman k, Ismail A. The evaluation of knowledge and practice on clinical pathways among helath care workers at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre (UKMMC) Malaysia. Malaysian J Public Heal Med. 2005; 15:69–76.
- Ministry of health malaysia. Anuual report. Available from: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&btnG=Search&q=intitle:No+Title#0
- Rotter T. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of clinical pathways on length of stay, hospital costs and patient outcomes. BMC Health Serv Res. 2008; 8:265.
- Cui Q, Tian J, Song X, Yang K, Zhang P. Effectiveness of clinical pathway in breast cancer patients: A meta-analysis. Glob Journal Oncol. 2015; 2:15–21.
- Xuping S. Effects of clinical pathways used in surgery for uterine fibroids: A meta-analysis. J Cancer Res Ther. 2014; 10:180–6.
- Ye Y, Jiang Z, Diao X, Yang D, Du G. An ontology-based hierarchical semantic modeling approach to clinical pathway workflows. Comput Biol Med. 2009; 39:722–32.
- Barbieri A, Vanhaecht K. Effects of clinical pathways in the joint replacement: A meta-analysis. BMC Med. 2009; 7:32.
- Lv L, Shao YF, Zhou Y. The Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) pathway for patients undergoing colorectal surgery: An update of meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2014; 27:1549–54.
- Rotter T. Clinical pathways: Effects on professional practice, patient outcomes, length of stay and hospital costs. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 17(3):1–10.
- Aljunid S, Ismail A, Sulong S. Can clinical pathways enhance the implementation of a Casemix system? A case study in a teaching hospital in Malaysia. BMC Health Service Research. 2012; 11:1–6.
- Limeberry GL. The clinical effects of a modified continuous quality-improvement program on the quality of care in a not-for-profit long-term health care facility: A case study [Pro quest diss theses]. 2001. p. 1–10.
- Song XP. Could clinical pathways improve the quality of care in patients with gastrointestinal cancer? A meta-analysis. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2014; 15(9):8361–66.
- Ramanujam T. The role of nutritional support in acute pancreatitis: A review and proposal of a clinical pathway for management. Journal of University of Malaya Medical. 1999; 2:81–7.
- Tay HL, Latifah RJR, Razak I. Clinical pathways in primary dental care in Malaysia: Clinicians’ knowledge, perceptions and barriers faced. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health. 2006;18:33–41.
- Aljunid S, Maimaiti N, Ahmed Z, Nur A. Development of clinical pathway for mild cognitive impairment and dementia to quantify cost of age-related cognitive. Research Gate Net. 2014; 14:88–96.
- Ismail A, Sulung S, Al Junid SM, Yahaya NHM, Harunarashid H, Maskon O, Ban A, Harun R, Mohd I. Saiboon, Ikafaizura Mohd, Nor, et al. Clinical pathways: Development and Implementation at a Tertiary Hospital in Malaysia. International Journal of Public Health Research. 2012; 2:153–60.
- Cheah TS. Clinical pathways--the new paradigm in healthcare? Med J Malaysia. 1998; 53:87–96.
- Ban A. Impact of clinical pathway on clinical outcomes in the management of COPD exacerbation. BMC Pulmonary Medicine. 2012; 12:27.
- Sulong S, Osman H, Ismail A. The evaluation of knowledge and practice on clinical pathways among health care workers at universiti Kebangsaan. MJPHM. 2015; 15(1):69–76.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.