Total views : 287
An Assessment-based Metamodel towards a Best Practice Assessment Model in Higher Education
Objectives: There are numerous assessment practices being implemented by higher education practitioners. However, these best practices are not widely shared. In this study, a metamodel that shares the best practices is created to denote important concepts and knowledge related. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The development is using 8-steps metamodelling approach adapted in, this approach uses various models to analyse and construct the concepts, rules, constraint and relationships to model a predefined class of problem domain. There are twenty assessment models used for development and validation. The validation technique used is comparison against other model, in order to check the completeness of the metamodel. Then, the propose knowledge repository is created to represent the practicality of the metamodel. Findings: The resultant from metamodeling development is the Assessment-based Metamodel represented using UML class diagram. The concepts embedded together with the relationships cover 16 important related concepts. The creation of the metamodel can be used as a foundation of Assessment Knowledge Repository (AKR). It gathers all concepts, processes and allows various approaches to be easily shared and communicated. The AKR also consists of a collection of best practices in assessment viewed by various levels of stakeholders. Application/Improvements: This study proposes the Assessment-based Metamodel which has a capability to capture various knowledge and best practices in implementing assessment in higher education. The metamodel enables people to communicate in a well-defined language, simultaneously easy for knowledge sharing and helps in decision making. While the AKR demonstrates the usefulness of the metamodel.
Best Practice, Higher Education, Metamodelling Approach, Metamodel, Student Assessment, Quality Assurance.
- Imrie BW, Cox K, Imrie BW, Miller A, Miller A. Student assessment in higher education: a handbook for assessing performance. London: Routledge; 1998.
- Miller AH. The evaluation of university courses. Studies in Higher Education. 1984 Jan; 9(1):1–5.
- Martin M, Stella A. External quality assurance in higher education: Making choices. Fundamentals of Educational Planning 85. International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP); Paris: UNESCO. 2007. p. 1–107.
- Nenadal J. Comprehensive quality assessment of Czech higher education institutions. International Journal Quality and Service Sciences. 2015; 7(2/3):138–51.
- Joyce M. Hawkins.Kamus Dwibahasa Oxford Fajar. 5th ed. Oxford University Press; 2011.
- Tinggi IP. Akreditasi Institusi Perguruan Tinggi Buku II Standar dan Prosedur. Departemen Pendidikan Nasional Badan Akreditasi Nasional Perguruan Tinggi; 2011. p. 1–22.
- Guidance on Teaching, Learning and Assessment at Key Stage 4; 2013. Available from: http://ccea.org.uk/curriculum/assess_progress/assessment_practice/assessing_areas_learning/key_stage_4
- Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). Available from: www.teqsa.gov.au/regulatory-approach/teqsa-and-quality-assurance
- Australian Universities Quality Agency. AUQA Good Practice Database. Available from: www.mq.edu.au/quality/docs/themes_letter.doc
- Mezhuyev V, Lytvyn OM, Zain JM. Metamodel for mathematical modelling surfaces of celestial bodies on the base of radiolocation data. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(13):1–8.
- da Silva AR. Model-driven engineering: A survey supported by a unified conceptual model. Computer Languages, Systems and Structures. 2015 Oct; 43:139–55.
- Othman SH, Beydoun G, Sugumaran V. Development and validation of a Disaster Management Metamodel (DMM). Information Process Management. 2014 Mar; 50(2):235–71.
- Su Y. Design of the management system of university projects based on UML sequence diagram. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Aug; 3(8):928–31.
- Code Of Practice for Programme Accreditation. Available from: http://www.cqa.upm.edu.my/dokumen/10137_2-COPPA_(English).pdf
- Profile of Brunei Darussalam National Accreditation Council. Available from: http://www.mqa.gov.my/aqaaiw/Country Report/Brunei/BDNAC Brunei.pdf
- Standards and guidelines for quality assurance in the European Higher Education Area. Available from: https://www.hrk.de/fileadmin/redaktion/hrk/02-Dokumente/02-03-Studium/02-03-01-Studium-Studienreform/Bologna_Dokumente/ESG_endorsed-with-changed-foreword_2015.pdf
- Japan University Accreditation Association. Available from: http://juaa.or.jp/en/about/index.html
- ASEAN University Network Quality Assurance. Available from: https://www.hrk.de/fileadmin/redaktion/hrk/02-Dokumente/02-07-Internationales/02-07-11-Dies/02-07-11-02-Enhancing_Quality_Across_Borders/WG_C_Dr_Nantana-Paper.pdf
- University of Liverpool. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Liverpool
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council India. Available from: http://www.naac.gov.in/docs/University Manual - 20.6.13.pdf
- National Commission for Academic Accreditation &, Assessment (NCAAA). Handbook for Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Saudi Arabia. Available from: https://www.mu.edu.sa/sites/default/files/Handbook for Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Saudi Arabia 1.pdf
- Clayton B, Blom K, Meyers D, Bateman A, Street P, Booth R. Quality assurance guide for assessment. Commonwealth; 2001.
- Janor RM, Aris SR, Said RM, Muhammad AM. Garis Panduan Kesetaraan Kualiti Penilaian Pelajar UiTM. 2nd edn Unit Hal Ehwal Kurikulum, UiTM Malaysia; 2012.
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. Available from: http://www.utm.my/dvcai/files/2012/07/MQA-Self-Accreditation-Audit-Presentation-Part-3.pdf
- Self review portfolio for the MQA institutional audit. http://efiles.mediu.edu.my/mye-books/ACD/Portfolio Penilaian Kendiri UKM 2010.pdf
- Pereira D, Flores MA, Niklasson L. Assessment revisited: A review of research in assessment and evaluation in higher education. Assessment and evaluation in higher education; 2015 Jun. p. 1–25.
- Nicol DJ, Macfarlane‐Dick D. Formative assessment and self‐regulated learning: A model and seven principles of good feedback practice. Studies in Higher Education. 2006 Apr; 31(2):199–218.
- University of Tasmania. Available from: http://www.teaching-learning.utas.edu.au/assessment
- Malaysian Qualifications Agency. Available from: http://www.mqa.gov.my/portalMQA/contrast/en/seminar_ggp.cfm
- Sokovic M, Pavletic D, Pipan KK. Quality improvement methodologies–PDCA cycle, RADAR matrix, DMAIC and DFSS. Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering. 2010 Nov; 43(1):476–83.
- Venkatraman S. A framework for implementing TQM in higher education programs. Quality Assurance in Education. 2007 Feb; 15(1):92–112.
- Assess Teaching and Learning. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_and_learning_center
- University of Oxford. Examinations and assessments. Available from: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/students/undergraduate-courses/examinations-assessments
- University of Oxford. Examinations and assessments. Available from: http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/exams
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.