Total views : 277
Design and Computational Investigation of Double Piston U-Shaped Single Connecting Rod in Remodelled Internal Combustion Engines
Objectives: This paper aims at studying force distribution characteristics and load with standing capability of a remodelled IC engine piston connecting rod arrangement where the conventional single piston single connecting rod arrangement is replaced by linking two pistons with a single connecting rod. Methods\Statistical Analysis: 3D Modelling of the arrangement is carried out using Solid works while force analysis of the model is done using ANSYS workbench. Parallel twin cylinder 4 stroke petrol engine is utilized as reference for creating the model and analysis purpose. Findings: The results gives the theoretical evidence that there can be a considerable reduction in engine weight and complexity with this new arrangement with stress, deformation and strain values lying within the boundary. Applications\Improvements: This arrangement gives extra room for lubricants thereby indeed indirectly increasing performance characteristics.
Aluminium Alloy, Brake Power, Connecting Rod, Piston, Internal Combustion Engine, Solid Works and Ansys.
- Zhang H, Lin Z, Xu D. An analysis to thermal load and mechanical load coupling of a gasoline engine piston. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2013 Feb 20; 48(2):2005-13.
- Silva F. Analysis of a vehicle crankshaft failure. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2003; 10(5):605-16.
- Wang C, Zhao C, Wang D. Analysis of an unusual crankshaft failure. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2005; 12(3):465-73.
- Taylor CM. Automobile engine Tribology-design considerations for efficiency and durability. Wear. 1998; 221(1):1-8.
- Kim D, Ito A. Friction characteristics of steel pistons for diesel engines. Journal of Materials Research and Technology. 2012 Jul-Sep; 1(2):96-102.
- Ramjee E, Reddy EK. Performance analysis of a 4-stroke SI engine using CNG as an alternative fuel. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011; 4(7):1-14.
- Bhandari VB. Design of Machine Elements. 3rd ed. India: McGraw Hill; 2010.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.