Total views : 259
Library Online Database System for Undergraduate Students
Objectives: The demand of the good quality of research especially in academic field rose the emerging of library online databases services nowadays. Most of the universities in Malaysia have subscribed the library online databases to provide students more opportunity to explore research resources not limited only in certain regions but throughout all countries around the world. The services are expected to give benefit to the postgraduate and undergraduate students for academic purposes. However, most of undergraduate students are not aware of the existence of library online databases services that universities provided. They also discouraged to use the services due to the difficulties they faced when they used the services. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Interviews and Quantitative Research (survey) have been used as data collection method. The stratified random sampling technique was used to collect data from undergraduate students with different countries, age, gender, courses and level of study from (Year 1 to Year 4). The sample is scattered throughout 16 faculties in International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM). Findings: From the study, current issues and problems were identified, features of library online database systems were analyzed then selected to be adapted into the future development of library online database system in International Islamic University Malaysia, IIUM library. Application/Improvements: The study is able to enhance the current IIUM library online databases flows and processes. The features selected to be adapted in future development of IIUM library online database system can attract students to use online databases to find information.
Library Online Database, Library Online Database System, Information Searching, Search Engine
- Jones S. The internet goes to college: How students are living in the future with today’s technology, Washington, DC.: Pew Internet and American Life Project, 2002, p.1-22.
- Annual Report to CDNL 2012 / 2013. Malaysia: Conference of Directors of National Libraries (CDNL) 2012 / 2013, p.16.
- M. Babu LG. Patterns of Undergraduates’ Use of Scholarly Databases in a Large Research University. The Journal of Academic Librarianship. 2012; 39(2):189-93.
- Rice B. Evaluation of Online Databases and Their Uses in Collection Evaluation, New York, 1985, p.1-30.
- Christopher D. Manning, Prabhakar Raghavan, Hinrich Schutze. ‘Boolean Retrieval’. Introduction to Information Retrieval,Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Search engine definition. Britannica Concise Encyclopedia. 2012. http://www.answers.com/topic/serch-engine. Date Accessed: 08/03/2015.
- Search engine definition. Barron’s Marketing Dictionary. 2012. httpp://www.answers.com/topic/search-engine. Date Accessed: 08/03/2015.
- Balasubramanian A, Sabarish B, Sabarish B. A Study on the Impact of Google Search on the Reading Habits of Academicians. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(21):139-47.
- Lee JY, Paik W, Joo S. Information resource selection of undergraduate students, matics, 2012, p.1-8.
- Purdy J. Why first-year college students select online research resources as their favorite. First Monday. 2012; 17:120.
- Hargittai E, Fullerton L, Trevino EM, Thomas KY. Trust online: Young adults’ evaluation of Web content. International Journal of Communication. 2010; 4:468-494.
- Chuang YL,Wu LL. User-Based Evaluations of Search Engines: Hygiene Factors and Motivation Factors. System Sciences,. HICSS 40th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Waikoloa, HI, 2007 Jan, 82.
- Tenopir C. Use and users of electronic library resources: An overview and analysis of recent research studies, Washington, DC.: Council on Library and Information Resources, 2003.
- Chin JP, Diehl VA, Norman KL. Development of an Instrument Measuring User Satisfaction of the Human-Computer Interface. ACM CHI’88 Proceedings, 1988, p. 213-218.
- Brooke J, Jordan PW, Thomas B, Weerdmeester BA, McClelland AL. SUS: a “quick and dirty” usability scale, Usability Evaluation in Industry, London, 1996, p.189-194.
- Lewis JR. IBM Computer Usability Satisfaction Questionnaires: Psychometric Evaluation and Instructions for Use. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction.1995; 7(1):57-78.
- Cockrell BJ, Jayne EA. How do I find an article? Insights from a web usability study. The Journal of Academic Librarianship.2002; 28(3):122-132.
- QS World University Rankings by Subject 2014 - Statistics and Operational Research. http://www.topuniversities.com/ university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/statisticsoperational-research#sorting=rank+region=+country=+ faculty=+stars=false+search. Date Accessed: 8/3/2015.
- University of Cambridge LibrarySearch+. http://searchplus.lib.cam.ac.uk/. Date Accessed: 08/03/2015.
- University of Cambridge. http://www.cam.ac.uk. Date Accessed: 08/03/2015.
- University of Malaya Library. http://www.umlib.um.edu.my. Date Accessed: 08/03/2015.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.