Total views : 224
Investigation on Effects of Alternative Process Routing in the Design of Cellular Manufacturing System
Background/Objectives: The adoption of cellular manufacturing becomes promising manufacturing philosophy to address the problems of today’s manufacturing plants such as an increasingly turbulent environment and rising customer requirements. Method/Statistical Analysis: Group Technology and Cellular Manufacturing System (CMS) have together paved way for the same through processing of similar parts groups as part families and the formation of a machine cell dedicated for the manufacture of the part family. The traditional CMS design methods do not incorporate many real-life manufacturing parameters such as batch size and machine flexibility, various cost factors at the design stage and also they are not taking the advantage of the machine flexibility in terms of coexistence of alternate process routing. Findings: In this work, a comprehensive mathematical model has been developed capturing these exact production parameters. An optimal solution is obtained using Lingo 8.0 software package and a solution methodology of best possible cell configurations is formed. Applications/Improvements: The effect of considering the alternate process routing in the design stage of CMS is evaluated and it is found that routing flexibility results in better cell configurations.
Alternative Routing, Cellular Manufacturing System (CMS), Operation Sequence and Varying Batch Size.
- Kusiak A. The generalized group technology concept. International Journal of Production Research. 1987 Jan; 25(4):561-69.
- Jayakumar V, Raju R. An adaptive cellular manufacturing system design with routing flexibility and dynamic system reconfiguration. European Journal of Scientific Research. 2010; 47(4):595-611.
- Singh N. Design of Cellular Manufacturing Systems. European Journal of Operational Research. 1993 Sep; 69(3):284-91.
- Heragu SS, Gupta YP. A Heuristic for designing cellular manufacturing facilities. International Journal of Production Research. 1994; 32(1):125-40.
- Felix Offodile, Abraham Mehrez, John Grznr. Cellular Manufacturing: A taxonomic review framework. Journal of Manufacturing Systems. 1994 Dec; 13(3):196-220.
- Shargal M, Shekhar S, Irani SA. Evaluation of search algorithms and clustering efficiency measures for machine-part matrix clustering. IIE Transactions. 1995; 27(1):43-59.
- Joines J, Culbreth C, King R. A comprehensive review of production oriented cell formation techniques. International Journal of Factory Automation and Information Management. 1996 Aug; 3(4):225-65.
- Cheng, Kumar A, Motwani JG, Reisman A, Madan MS. Cellular Manufacturing: a statistical review of the literature. Operations Research. 1997 Jul-Aug; 45(4):508-35.
- Hassan M Selim, Ronald G Askin, Asoo J Vakharia. Cell formation in group technology: review, evaluation and directions for future research. Computers and Industrial Engineering. 1998 Jan; 34(1):3-20.
- Sarkar, Mondal. Grouping efficiency measures in cellular manufacturing: a survey and critical review. International Journal of Production Research. 1999 Jan; 37(2):285-314.
- Mansouri SA, Moattar-Hussein SM, Newman ST. A review of the modern approaches to multi-criteria cell design. International Journal of Production Research. 2000 Nov; 38(5):1201-18.
- Defersha FM, Chen M. A parallel genetic algorithm for dynamic cell formation in cellular manufacturing cellular manufacturing systems. International journal of Production Research. 2008 Oct; 46(22):6389-413.
- Husamettin Bayram, Ramazan Sahin. A comprehensive mathematical model for dynamic cellular manufacturing system design and Linear Programming embedded hybrid solution techniques. Computers and Industrial Engineering. 2016 Jan; 91(C):10-29.
- Anan Mungwatanna. Design of cellular manufacturing systems for dynamic and uncertain production requirement with presence of routing flexibility. Dissertation, Blacksburg State University Virginia, 2000 Sep.
- Tavakkoli-Moghaddam R, Aryanezhad MB, Safaei N, Azaron A. Solving a dynamic cell formation problem using meta-heuristics. Applied Mathematics and Computation. 2005 Nov; 170(2):761-80.
- Jayakumar V, Raju R. A simulated annealing algorithm for machine cell formation under uncertain production requirements. Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering. 2014; 39:7345-54.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.