Total views : 268
Experimental Investigation on Machining Performance using Deionized Water as Dielectric in Die-Sinking EDM
Objectives: In this paper the process parameters was thoroughly analysed and optimised for Die sink EDM using deionised water as dielectric on Die Steel work piece using Taguchi experimental design and Analysis of variance (ANOVA) as statistical analysis tool. Methods/Statistical Analysis: There are many methods for DOE and analysis as well as optimisation. Taguchi method is most suitable for DOE and analysis to investigate the effect of parameters. Optimal value obtained from Taguchi is further optimized. ANOVA is used to optimize the response and optimized data shows the local optimum value. Findings: Response surface roughness examined and optimal combination of input parameters are observed. It is found that TON and peak current have considerable effect on surface roughness whereas gap voltage and duty cycle can be neglected. Response is optimized using analysis of variance (ANOVA). Optimized result shows that low value of peak current and TON produces better surface roughness. Applications/Improvements: This paper supports that good surface roughness can be obtained using deionised water on Die steel. As deionised water do not produces toxic fume it can be used frequently without any measure precaution which is needed in oils and kerosene. It is also environment friendly, cheap and easy available in market.
ANOVA, Die-Sinking EDM, Die Steel, Deionizer Water, Taguchi DOE.
- Wong YS, Lim LC, Rahuman I, Tee WM. Near-mirror-finish phenomenon in EDM using powder-mixed Dielectric. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 1997 Feb; 79(1-3):30–40
- Zhao WS, Meng QZ, Wang ZL. The application on Powder mixed EDM in rough machining. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2002; 129:30–3.
- Malhotra N, Rani S, Sheikh K. Optimization of control parameters for surface roughness in side flushing form of die sink edm. Journal of Engineering Research and Studies. 2011 Oct-Dec; 2(4):228–33.
- Kansal HK, Singh S, Kumar P. Effect of Silicon Powder Mixed EDM on Machining Rate of AISI D2 Die Steel. Journal of Manufacturing Processes. 2005 Mar 24; 169:427–36.
- Lakshmanan S, Kumar M, Namballa MK. Optimization of EDM parameters using Response Surface Methodology for EN31 ToolSteel Machining. International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology (IJESIT). 2013; 2(5):1–10.
- Khurana V, Sodhi HS, Sandhu AS. The Effect of Die Sinking Process Paramters on Surface roughness of D2 Steel Using Taguchi. International Journal of Innovative Research in Engineering and Multidisciplinary Physical Sciences (IJIRMPS). 2014 Dec; 2(3):15–27.
- Lakshmanan S, Chinnakutti P, Namballa MK. Optimization of Surface Roughness using Response Surface Methodology for EN31 Tool Steel EDM Machining. International Journal of Recent Development in Engineering and Technology. 2013 Dec; 1(3):1–4.
- Paul NEE, Marimuthu P, Babu RV. Machining Parameter Setting For Facing EN8 Steel with TNMG Insert. American International Journal of Research in Science. 2013 Jun-Aug; 3(1):87–92.
- Radovanovic M, Petkovic D, Jankovic P, Madic. Application of taguchi method for determining optimum Surface roughness in turning of medical stainess steel. International Scientific Conference. 2014. p. 21–2.
- Bhagat TC, Payal HS, Sethi BL. Optimizations of EDM process parameters for surface roughness machining die steel using copper tungsten electrode by adopting Taguchi array design. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Oct; 5(10):12–7.
- Critical F-value. Available from: http://www.danielsoper.com/statcalc/calculator.aspx?id=4. Date accessed: 04/02/2016.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.