Total views : 231
A Review about the Diagnostics of Rotodynamic Pump using Vibro-Acoustic Method
Background/Objectives: A rotodynamic pump comprises of axial, mixed and radial flow impeller which are used in various applications such as irrigation, drinking water supply system, drainage, energy, chemical industries and fire fighting, marine and shipboard services. Methods/Statistical Analysis: They form the heart of industrial civilization. Much more development as to be done in design of rotodynamic pumps for the better performance with respect to the system. As the technology increases, the demand for monitoring system for any machines increases to have optimum performance with optimum resources. Findings: In this paper, the vibration and noise associated with centrifugal pumps were reviewed and a method was proposed to obtain vibration and noise from pump to identify the status of pump whether it operates in normal or abnormal conditions. Various locations are identified in the pump to get signals of vibration and noise for further investigation of operating conditions. Application/Improvements: This method will enable the pump user to acquire the vibration and noise signals throughout the running period and to determine the operating condition of a pump with respect to the best efficiency point. Based on the condition, the pump will be redirected towards the best efficiency point to achieve optimum head and flow rate without comprising the efficiency of the pump.
Bep, Centrifugal Pump, Noise and Vibration, Rotodynamic Pump.
- Pump performance monitoring and maximize Reliability. Available from: http://reliabilityweb.com/articles/entry/automate_performance_metrics.
- Wood AB. A textbook of sound. 3rd ed. Bombay: Orient Longmans; 1955.
- Knapp RT, Daily JW, Hammitt FG. Cavitation. New York: McGraw Hill; 1970.
- Stopskii SB. Acoustic method of detecting cavitation in water turbines. Elekt Sta Moscow. 1957; 8(15):20-5.
- Rata M. A review and critical examination of acoustic methods of observing cavitation (in French). La Houille Blanche. 1963; 6:671-7.
- Pearsall IS. Acoustic detection of cavitation. Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers; 1966. p. 1-8.
- Wood GM, Whippen WG. Cavitation effects in turbo-machinery. Cavitation State of Knowledge. 1969; 148–65.
- Deeprose WM, Merry H. The effect of size and speed on measured pump cavitation performance. Proceeding Conference on Scaling for Performance Prediction in Rotodynamic Machines Institution of Mechanical Engineers; 1977. P. 123-30.
- Lehmann W, Mehlhorn P. Examination of the noise emission of centrifugal pumps in dependence to the construction, design and operating conditions (in German). Pumpentagung, Karlsruyhe. 1978 Sep 26.
- McNulty PJ, Pearsall IS. Cavitation inception in pumps. Journal of Fluids Engineering. 1982 Mar; 104(1):99-104.
- Kirejczyk J. Cavitation signs in rotodynamic pump. Proceeding of Institutional Mechanical Engineers; 1983.
- Kumaraswamy S. Cavitation studies of centrifugal pumps [PhD. thesis]. Indian Institute of Technology Madras: Hydroturbomachines Lab. 1986.
- Knapp W, Schneider C, Schilling R. Experience with an acoustic cavitation monitor for water turbines. Proceeding of Institutional Mechanical Engineers; 1992 Jan. p. 271–5.
- Friedrich J. Diagnosis of cavitation in centrifugal pumps. Sulzer Technical Review. 1992.
- Alfayez L, Mbab D, Dysonc G. The application of acoustic emission for detecting incipient cavitation and the best efficiency point of a 60 kW centrifugal pump: Case study. NDT&E International. 2005 Jul; 38(5):354–8.
- Al-Hashmi SA, Libya S. Statistical analysis of vibration signals for cavitation detection. IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ISIEA); Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 2009 Oct. p. 78-82.
- Chudina M, Prezelj J. Detection of cavitation in operation of kinetic pumps. Use of discrete frequency tone in audible spectra. Applied Acoustics. 2009 Apr; 70(4):540–6.
- Nasiri MR, Mahjoob MJ, Vahid-Alizadeh H. Vibration signature analysis for detecting cavitation in centrifugal pumps using neural networks. Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics; Istanbul, Turkey. 2011 Apr. p. 632–5.
- Christopher S, Kumaraswamy S. Identification of critical NPSH from noise and vibration in a radial flow pump for different leading edge profiles of the vane. ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering Transcation. 2013 Sep; 135(12):1-15.
- Ramadevi R. Net positive suction head analysis for testing the condition of a centrifugal pump. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 May; 8(10):934–9.
- Aleksandrov VI, Avksentiev SY. Vibration-based Diagnostics of Slurry Pump Technical State. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(5):1-7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.