Total views : 230
Experimental Evaluation of Various Parameters Influencing Thrust Force, Torque and Circularity in Drilling of Al based Composites using Response Surface Methodology
Background/Objectives: The application of composite materials has been increasing worldwide in all manufacturing industries. In drilling operation, the quality of hole is the basic requirement in various applications. So, the selection of optimized drilling parameters is very important for the better hole quality. Our objective is to formulate a mathematical model using response surface methodology. Methods: A series of experiments are conducted using ARIX-CNC vertical machining center on Square slabs of size 100mm x 100mm x 10mm, fabricated by stir casting method. Our work is focusing on formulating the model to investigate the effects of various drilling parameters such as spindle speed (1000, 2000 & 3000rpm), feed (0.05, 0.1 & 0.15 mm/rev) and drill tool diameter (5, 7.5 & 10mm) on thrust force, torque and circularity in drilling of Al / SiC metal matrix composite and Al / SiC / Gr hybrid composite using solid carbide drills. Findings: The experimental results on drilling of the metal matrix and hybrid composites are collected separately on L27 orthogonal array and analyzed using Signal – Noise (S/N) ratio, the analysis of variance (ANOVA) and regression analysis with the help of Design expert software and Mathematical models are developed with an objective to correlate the selected drilling parameters with drilling force, torque and circularity error in drilled holes. ANOVA is used to reveal the dominant factors that affect the responses mentioned above. Application/Improvements: The developed models are significant and the predicted values are very close to the actual values. This model can be effectively used for drilling of Al/SiC metal matrix and Al/SiC/Gr Hybrid composites within the range of the process parameters.
Composites, Drilling, Response Surface Methodology, Thrust Force, Torque.
- Pandi G, Muthusamy S. A review on machining and tribological behaviors of aluminium hybrid composites. Procedia Engineering. 2012 Sep; 38(1):1399–408.
- Babu SS, Vinayagam BK, Arunraj J. Experimental evaluation of thrust force, surface roughness and ovality in drilling of Al /Sic/Gr hybrid metal matrix composites using HSS and carbide tipped drill. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(31):1–10.
- Rajmohan T, Palanikumar K, Davim JP. Analysis of surface integrity in drilling metal matrix and hybrid metal matrix composites. Journal of Materials Science and Technology. 2012 Aug; 28(8):761–8.
- Muniaraj A, Das SL, Palanikumar K. Evaluation of thrust force and surface roughness in drilling of Al/Sic/Gr hybrid metal matrix composite. International Journal of Latest Research in Science and Technology. 2013 Oct; 2(4):4–8.
- Hayajneh MT, Hassan AM, Mayyas AT, Alrashdan A. Modeling the drilling process of some Al-Mg-Cu alloys and Al-Mg-Cu/Sic composites using artificial neural network. The Online Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jan; 1(1):18–24.
- Reddy AR, Reddy KSB, Hussain P, Reddy BS, Babu SS. An experimental study using design of experiment method to compare the performance of solid carbide and HSS drills in drilling of GFRP Composite Material. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research. 2013 Oct; 2(4):216–21.
- Raj AM, Das SL, Palanikumar K. Influence of drill geometry on surface roughness in drilling of Al/SiC/Gr hybrid metal matrix composite. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Jul; 6(7):1–6.
- Manna A, Singh K. an experimental investigation on drilled hole surface during drilling of Al/SiC-MMC. International Journal of Surface Engineering and Materials Technology. 2011 Jul–Dec; 1(1):39–42.
- Singh A, Kumar L, Chaudhary M, Narayan O, Sharma P, Singh P, Kandpal BC, Ashutosh S. Manufacturing of AMMCS using stir casting process and testing its mechanical properties; 2013 Jul–Sep. p. 26–9.
- Sasimurugan T, Palanikumar K. Experimental studies on machining characteristics of hybrid aluminium metal matrix composite and carbon nano tubes added hybrid aluminium metal matrix composite. Proceedings of the International Conference on Nanoscience, Engineering and Technology (ICONSET); 2011 Nov. p. 159–62.
- Taþkesen A, Kütükde K. Optimization of the drilling parameters for the cutting forces in B4c-Reinforced Al-7xxx-Series alloys based on the Taguchi method. Materiali in Tehnologije / Materials and technology. 2013; 47(2):1–8.
- Kivak T, Habali K, Seker U. The effect of cutting paramaters on the hole quality and tool wear during the drilling of Inconel 718. Gazi University Journal of Science. 2012; 25(2):533–40.
- Madhavan S, Prabu SB. Experimental investigation and analysis of thrust force in drilling of carbon fibre reinforced plastic composites using response surface methodology. International Journal of Modern Engineering Research. 2012 Jul–Aug; 2(4):2719–23.
- Premnath AA, Alwarsamy T, Abhinav T, Krishnakant CA. Surface roughness prediction by response surface methodology in milling of hybrid aluminium composites. International Conference on Modeling Optimization and Computing, Procedia Engineering. 2012 Sep; 38:745–52.
- Singh H, Kamboj A, Kumar S. multi response optimization in drilling Al6063/SiC/15% metal matrix composite. International Journal of Chemical, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering. 2014; 8(4):1–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.