Total views : 298
Analysis of Wire Wear in WEDM
Objective: This paper emphasizes the effect of cutting parameter on the size of crater and wire wear ratio because wire breakage is most common problem in WEDM and wire crater is very much responsible for wire breakage. Methods/statistical Analysis: Many researchers had adopted various methods for the evaluation of the dominating parameters on wire EDM process. In this study Response Surface Methodology (RSM) was used as a statistical analytical tool for the evaluation of the parametric effect on wire creator of wire EDM process. OLYAMPUS BX51M optical microscope was used for the observation of wire creator. For experiment MAXICUT WEDM machine was used and experiment were conducted on INCONEL 625 work piece and zinc coated brass wire of 0.25mm diameter was used. Finding: The experiments were conducted under different cutting parameters, which are open circuit voltage, pulse duration, wire speed and flushing pressure. As a result it was found that crater size increases with increase in pulse duration because increased pulse duration contributes to large energy content of spark discharge further it was also found that the creator size also increases with open circuit voltage and feed wire speed whereas decrease with increase in flushing pressure. Applications/Improvements: This analysis can become the basis for industries where the manufacturing is done by the wire EDM process and wire breakage is the common problem.
ANOVA, Crater size, WEDM. RSM, Wire Crater.
- Wang WM, Rajurkar KP. Monitoring sparking frequency and predicting wire breakage in WEDM. ASME Production Engineering Division. 1992; 55:49–64.
- Banerjee S, Prasad BVSSS, Mishra PK. A simple model to estimate the thermal loads on an EDM wire electrode. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 1993; 39:305–17.
- Tosun N, Cogun C. (An investigation on wire wear in WEDM), Received 20 feb 2002. recived in revised form 19 july 2002,accepted 29 october 2002.
- Goswami A, Kumar J. Investigation of surface integrity, material removal rate and wire wear ratio for WEDM of Nimonic 80A alloy using GRA and Taguchi method, Received 20 March 2014 Received in revised form 7 May 2014 Accepted 14 May 2014.
- Okada A, Konishi T, Okamoto Y, Kurihara H. ( Wire breakage and deflection caused by nozzle jet flushing in wire EDM)
- Okada A, Uno Y, Onoda S, Habib S. (Computational fluid dynamics analysis of working fluid flow and debris movement in wire EDMed kerf)
- Tosun N, Cogun C, Pihtili H. The Effect of cutting parameters on wire crater size in wire EDM) 2003 Springer-Verlag London Limited
- Kumar A, Kumar V, Kumar J. Parametric Effect on Wire Breakage Frequency and Surface Topography in WEDM of Pure Titanium. 2013 Sep; 1.
- Mevada JR, Shah CD, Khatri BC. A Wear Investigation of Repeatedly used Wire in Wire Cut Electrical Discharge Machine. 2012 Dec; 2(12).
- Luov YF. Rupture failure and mechanical strength of the electrode wire used in wire EDM. 1998 Mar 12.
- Ranganath BJ, Sudhakarand KG, Srikantappa AS. Wire failure analysis in wire EDM process. 2003 Dec.
- Banerjee SI, Prasad BVSSS, Mishra PK. Analysis of three-dimensional transient heat conduction for predicting wire erosion in the wire electrical discharge machining process. 1995 Jun 6.
- Dekeyser W, Snoeys R, Jennes M. A thermal model to investigate the wire rupture phenomenon for improving performance in EDM wire cutting. 1985; 4(2).
- Giridharan A, Samuel GL. Modeling and analysis of crater formation during wire electrical discharge turning (WEDT) process. Received: 4 July 2014 /Accepted: 20 October 2014 /Published online: 6 November 2014 Springer-Verlag London 2014
- cabanes I, Portillo E, M.arcos JA. Sa’nchez(An industrial application for on-line detection of instability and wire breakage in wire EDM) Received 30 August 2006Received in revised form 15 December 2006 Accepted 19 April 2007.
- Hewidy MS, El-Taweel TA, El-Safty MF. Modelling the machining parameters of wire electrical discharge machining of Inconel 601 using RSM. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2005; 169(2):328–36.
- Dubey AKr, Dubey V. Experimental study of Nd: YAG laser beam machining-An overview. Journal of Materials and Processing Technology. 2008; 195:15–26.
- Montgomery DC. Design and analysis of Experiments. 2011,5th Edition, John Wiley & sons, Inc
- Kumar A, Kumar V, Kumar J. Prediction of Surface Roughness in Wire Electric Discharge Machining (WEDM) Process based on Response Surface Methodology. International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2012 Apr; 2(4):708–19.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.