Total views : 320
On-Road Testing of A Vehicle for Gearbox Fault Detection using Vibration Signals
Gearbox is one of the most important components in an automobile, enabling power transmission from the engine to the wheels. Gears and bearings are prone to failure. The impending case of failure can be predicted by performing vibration analysis of a gear box, usually done by acquiring data in lab conditions. Objective: This paper proposes an idea to enable fault detection in the gearbox by acquiring data under on road conditions without having to remove the gearbox, thereby simplifying the condition monitoring of a gearbox. Methodology: The experimental studies were conducted on the gearbox in a test vehicle run in real time conditions and the vibration data from the gearbox was acquired using a piezoelectric accelerometer for different conditions of gearbox. The acquired time domain data was normalized and its statistical features were extracted. The classification of the fault class was done by using decision tree (J48) algorithm. Findings: Classification efficiencies as high as 99% were obtained by using decision tree algorithm. Further, normalization of raw data was found to increase the efficiency of the classifier. This observation can be used to make decision trees more efficient. Improvements: This paper has highlighted the concept of on road testing for two fault conditions. Further research work on other fault conditions can be done.
Decision Tree, Gearbox, Normalization, On-road Testing, Statistical Features, Vibration.
- Sawalhi N, Randall RB. Simulating gear and bearing interactions in the presence of faults: Part I. The combined gear bearing dynamic model and the simulation of localised bearing faults. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2008 Nov; 22(8):1924–51.
- Sawalhi N, Randall RB. Simulating gear and bearing interactions in the presence of faults: Part II: Simulation of the vibrations produced by extended bearing faults. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2008 Nov; 22(8):1952–66.
- Chaari F, Fakhfakh T, Haddar M. Analytical modeling of spur gear tooth crack and influence on gear mesh stiffness. European Journal of Mechanics. A/Solids. 2009 May–Jun; 28(3):461–8.
- Li C, Sanchez R-V, Zurita G, Cerrada M, Cabrera D, Vasquez RE. Multimodal deep support vector classification with homologous features and its application to gearbox fault diagnosis. Neurocomputing. 2015 Nov; 168:119–27.
- Soua S, Van Lieshout P, Perera A, Gan T-H, Bridge B. Determination of the combined vibrational and acoustic emission signature of a wind turbine gearbox and generator shaft in service as a pre-requisite for effective condition monitoring. Renewable Energy. 2013; 51:175–81.
- Hea G, Dinga K, Li W, Jiao X. A novel order tracking method for wind turbine planetary gearbox vibration analysis based on discrete spectrum correction technique. Renewable Energy. 2016 Mar; 87:364–75.
- Hong L, Dhupia JS. A time domain approach to diagnose gearbox fault based on measured vibration signals. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2014 Mar; 333(7):2164–80.
- Satishkumar R, Sugumaran V. Vibration based health assessment of bearings using random forest classifier. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(10):1–6. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i10/85303.
- Yin J, Wang W, Manc Z, Khoo S. Statistical modelling of gear vibration signals and its application to detecting and diagnosing gear faults. Information Sciences. 2014 Feb; 259:295–303.
- Jegadeeshwaran R, Sugumaran V. Fault diagnosis of automobile hydraulic brake system using statistical features and support vector machines. Information Sciences. 2015 Feb; 52:436–46.
- Muralidharan V, Ravikumar S, Kangasabapathy H. Condition monitoring of Self Aligning carrying Idler (SAI) in belt-conveyor system using statistical features and decision tree algorithm. Measurement. 2014 Dec; 58:274–9.
- Satishkumar R, Sugumaran V. Estimation of remaining useful life of bearings based on support vector regression. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(10):1–7. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i10/88997.
- Karabadji NE, Seridi H, Khelf I, Azizi N, Boulkroune R. Improved decision tree construction based on attribute selection and data sampling for fault diagnosis in rotating machines. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. 2014 Oct; 35:71–83.
- Sharma A, Sugumaran V, Babudevasenapati S. Misfire detection in an IC engine using vibration signal and decision tree algorithms. Measurement. 2014 Apr; 50:370–80.
- Saravanan N, Ramachandran KI. Fault diagnosis of spur bevel gear box using discrete wavelet features and Decision Tree classification. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009 Jul; 36:9564–73.
- Sakthivel NR, Sugumaran V, Babudevasenapati S. Vibration based fault diagnosis of monoblock centrifugal pump using decision tree. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009 Oct; 37(6):4040–9.
- Gangadhar N, Kumar H, Narendranath S, Sugumaran V. Fault diagnosis of single point cutting tool through vibration signal using Decision Tree algorithm. Procedia Materials Science. 2014 Sep; 5:1434–41.
- Saravanan N, Cholairajan S, Ramachandran KI. Vibration-based fault diagnosis of spur bevel gear box using fuzzy technique. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009 Mar; 36(2):3119–35.
- Saimurugan M, Ramachandran KI, Sugumaran V, Sakthivel NR. Multi component fault diagnosis of rotational mechanical system based on decision tree and support vector machine. Expert Systems with Applications. 2011 Apr; 38(4):3819–26.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.