Total views : 232
Use of Matched Filter in Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum Techniques
Objectives: The protection of signal against jamming is accomplished using Spread Spectrum (SS) techniques. In this research paper, noise rejecting property of the matched filter and Binary Phase Shift Keying (BPSK) modulation is used in Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) system for secure communication. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Here, DSSS system has been developed and simulated using C-programming language on windows platform. In order to perform the simulation, different parameters are initialized and message bits are generated by random function. With the help of binary message signal and PN sequence, a SS signal is generated which is modulated using BPSK modulation technique at the transmitter side. In the channel, noise/jamming signal is added to the transmitted signal. Then the received signal is demodulated using coherent BPSK receiver (i.e., correlation receiver) and matched filtering is followed by despreading the demodulated signal at the receiver side. Finally, the received binary message bits are detected by threshold detector and various parameters such as input SNR, output SNR, probability of error are calculated. Findings: It has been found that matched filter is a linear filter which has a noise rejection property (means jamming signals can be treated just like other random noise) and hence provides signal security. This particular property of matched filter is used in DSSS communication. As far as matched filter is concerned, it cannot remove the total effect of interference but still the waveforms can be detected in the presence of noise/jamming signal. So, a matched filter receiver is supposed to be an ideal receiver for a signal which is corrupted by AWGN/jamming signal. Here, an average probability of symbol error decreases because it maximizes the output signal to noise ratio. These parameters are supposed to be the most important factors that determine the efficiency of performance of the system. Applications: DSSS systems using matched filter are strong contender for mobile and personnel communications, due to their very large user handling capacity. They also have better transmission quality and capability by incorporating wireless services such as data, short transaction messages, and multimedia etc.
DSSS, Matched Filter, PN Sequence, Probability of Error, Signal Security, SNR.
- Lee JS, Miller LE. CDMA systems engineering handbook.Artech House, Inc. Norwood, MA, USA; 1998.
- Simon M, Omura J, Scholtz R, Levitt B. SS communications handbook. McGraw- Hill, New York; 1994.
- IEEE: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. IEEE Standards for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks – Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications. IEEE Standard 802.11- 1997; 1997.
- IEEE: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. IEEE Standard for Information Technology: Local and Metropolitan Area Networks, Specific Requirement – Part 15.4: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs). IEEE Standard 802.15.4-2006; 2006.
- Fitts correlation tracker simulation control lab [Internet].2016 [cited 2016 Apr 12]. Available from: http://webee.technion.ac.il/control/info/Projects/ Students/2008 /Shai Levi and NoamHelmer/Book/final_book.pdf.
- Kaur N, Kalsi APS. Implementation of polar codes over AWGN and binary symmetric channel. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(19):1–4.Doi:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i19/91383.
- Kadali KS, Rajaji L. An efficient approach for the removal of bipolar impulse noise using median filter. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(13):1–3. Doi: 10.17485 /ijst/2015/v8i13/70678.
- Bayraktaroglu E, King C, Liu X, Noubir G, Rajaraman R, Thapa B. On the performance of IEEE 802.11 under jamming.In Proceedings of the 27th Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Conference on Computer Communications, Phoenix, AZ; 2008. p. 1265–73.
- Kingsbury N. Complex wavelets for shift invariant analysis and filtering of signals. Journal of Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis. 2011; 10(3):234–53.
- Geudtner D, Schwabisch M, Winter R. SAR-interferometry with ERS-1 data. In the Proceedings of Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS); 1994. p.11–15.
- Candeias ALB, Dutra LV, Moreira JR, Mura JC.Interferogram phase noise reduction using morphological and modified median filters. In the Proceedings of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (IGARSS); 1995. p. 166–8.
- Lee JS. Digital image enhancement and noise filtering by use of local statistics. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI). 1980; 2(2):165–8.
- Yu Q, Yang X, Fu S, Liu X, Sun X. An adaptive contoured window filter for interferometric synthetic aperture radar.Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters. 2007; 4(1):23–6.
- Meng D, Sethu V, Ambikairajah E, Ge L. A novel technique for noise reduction in InSAR images. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters. 2007; 4(2):226–30.
- Grispino AS, Petracca GO, Domínguez AE. Comparative analysis of wavelet and EMD in the filtering of radar signal affected by brown noise. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Latin America Transactions.2013; 11(1):81–5.
- Govoni MA, Hongbin LI. Range-Doppler resolution of the linear-FM noise radar waveform. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems. 2013; 49(1):658–64.
- Islam MS, Han H, Lee JI, Jung MG, Chong U. Small target detection and noise reduction in marine radar systems.Proceedings of International Conference on Electronic Engineering and Computer Science (EECS). Science Direct IERI Procedia. 2013; 4:168–73.
- Anjali M, Nelleri A. Phase-only wavelet matched filtering for two- dimensional image recognition and classification.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Sep; 9(36):1–6. Doi:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i36/102909.
- Signal-Space Analysis [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2016 May 14]. Available from: http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/ ECE/ecen4242/ch05.ppt.
- Properties of a matched filter [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2016 May 25]. Available from: https://www.coursehero.com/file/ p4cn9im/Properties-of-a-Matched-Filter-We-note-that-afilterwhich-is-matched-to-a/.
- Cianca E, Prasad R. SS Techniques and their Applications to Wireless Communications. Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) Journal of Research.2015; 51(1):5–18.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.