Total views : 298
Application of Reverse Engineering and Impact Analysis of Motor Cycle Helmet
Background/Objectives: A motor cycle helmet can prevent head injury from accident. This paper mainly concentrates on impact analysis of motorcycle helmet in different positions. Method/Analysis: The analysis of motor cycle helmet is divided into two stages. First stage includes the reverse engineering of Helmet and in the second stage; the virtual prototype of the helmet was analyzed by using LS-Dyna. This paper gives a clear detail about impact analysis of helmet in different positions such as Front, rear and top. It also discusses about impact force in frontal and non-frontal accidents. A Finite Element analysis was done on helmet head using LS-Dyna. The helmet head was impinged on rigid wall in all directions i.e. front, side, top and rear and the corresponding results were observed. Findings: The resultant force on head was observed for impacts from all directions. The variation of resultant force on head with respect to outer shell thickness was observed. Applications/Improvements: The results obtained can be used to redesign the helmet and increase the safety of rider.
Impact Analysis, Motorcycle Helmet, Non-Frontal Impacts, Reverse Engineering, Safety.
- Pinnoji P, Haider Z, Mahajan P. Design of ventilated helmets: Computational fluid and Impact dynamics studies. International Journal of Crashworthiness. 2008 Jun; 13(3):265–78.
- Pinnoji P, Mahajan P. Two wheeler helmets with ventilation and metal foam. Defense Science Journal. 2008 Mar; 58(2):304-11.
- Tinard V, Deck C, Willinger R. New methodology for improvement of helmet performances during impacts with regards to biomechanical criteria. Material and Design. 2012 May; 37:79-88.
- Raj Kumar E, Annamalai K. Recent nontraditional optimization techniques for Assembly sequence planning. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics. 2015 Mar; 101(5):707-15.
- Pinnoji PK, Mahajan P. Finite element modeling of helmeted head impact under frontal loading. Academy Proceedings in Engineering Sciences. 2007 Aug; 32(4):445–58.
- Nouri MD, Hatami H. Experimental and numerical study of the effect of longitudinal reinforcements on cylindrical and conical absorbers under impact loading. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Feb; 7(2):199-210.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.