Total views : 488
Design and Analysis of Gear System for Turboshaft Aero Engine Reduction Gearbox
Background/Objective: This paper focuses on the designing and analysis of a gear system for a turboshaft aero engine reduction gearbox considering various operational, safety and economic parameters involved. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Design for the gear system is made in conformance to International Standards. Various design parameters including stresses developed in the system is determined theoretically and experimentally. Gear blank is later optimised and results validated through finite element analysis. Findings: Contact and bending stresses obtained through finite element method for altered gear blank is found to be in acceptance with theoretical value calculated in accordance with standards for high speed gear systems. Influence of pinball region of contact is also determined. This specifically aids in validation of finite element results with that obtained through theoretical calculations for gear blank related optimisation requirements. Application/Improvements: Instead of concentrating on one or two specific stages of design, the process of designing case specific gearing can be improvised by utilising finite element methods at more design stages.
FEA, Gear Design, Gear Optimization, High Speed Gears, Solid Modelling.
- John Fay. The Helicopter: History, Piloting and how it flies. 4th editionn. David & Charles Publication, 1990.
- Stephen P Radzevich. Theory of Gearing: Kinematics, Geometry, and Synthesis. CRC Press, 2012 Jul.
- Lester E Alban. Systematic Analysis of Gear Failures. 2nd edition. ASM International, 1986, p. 586–601.
- Jyothirmayi S, Ramesh R, Swarnalatha T, Renuka D. A finite element approach to bending, contact, and fatigue stress distribution in helical gear systems. Procedia Materials Science. 2014 Sep; 6:907–918.
- Govind T Sarkar, Yogesh L Yenarkar, Dipak V Bhope. Stress analysis of helical gear by finite element method. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research. 2013 Oct; 2(4):1-8.
- Raj Kumar E, Annamalai K. Recent nontraditional optimization techniques for Assembly sequence planning. International journal of pure and applied mathematics, 2015 Mar; 101(5):707-715.
- ISO 6336-2006. Calculation of load capacity of spur and helical gears.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.