Total views : 377
Transformer Tank Optimization using Design of Experiments
Background / Objective: Present study deals with the optimization of 6.6 MVA 66/11.5 KV transformer tank using Design Of Experiments (DOE) concepts such as Screening Methodology, Central Composite Design (CCD) and Response Surface Methodology (RSM). Objective is to reduce the weight of the transformer tank. Methods / Analysis: To achieve objective mentioned above individual wall analysis and optimization approach was used to reduce complexity and time requirement. In fact DOE simplified the number of FEA simulations. Screening Methodology is used for filter out the parameters or design variables which are not necessary for optimization. CCD technique helps to create quadratic model for response or objective variable and hence preparation of DOE matrix. Response surface was generated from the resulted DOE matrix to obtain optimum design point. Findings: Individual wall analysis is found time saving and verified with whole analysis. Approximately 15% reduction in weight of the wall resulted from the study. Same approach can be used for other walls of the transformer to get optimization of whole tank. Also methodology can be used to study different stiffener arrangement of the tank wall to get optimum response such as weight, stresses and deformation.
Central Composite Design, Design of Experiments, Finite Element Analysis, Optimization, Response Surface Methodology, Tank, Transformer.
- Mahsa Azami, Morteza Bahram, Sirous Nouri, Abdolhosein Naseri. A central composite design for the optimization of the removal of the azo dye, methyl orange, from waste water using the Fenton reaction. Journal of Serbian Chemical Society. 2012; 77(2):235-246.
- Marcin Dutka, Mario Ditaranto, Terese Løvås. Application of a Central Composite Design for the Study of NOx Emission Performance of a Low NOx Burner. Molecular Diversity Preservation International Journals –Energies. 2015; 8:1-22.
- Muhammed Demirel, Berkant Kayan. Application of response surface methodology and Central composite design for the optimization of textile dye degradation by wet air oxidation. International Journal of Industrial Chemistry (IJIC). 2012 Dec; 3(24):1-10.
- Cukor G, Jurkovi Z, Sekuli M. Rotable Central Composite Design of Experiments versus Taguchi Method in The Optimization of Turning. Metalurgija. 2011; 50(1):17-20.
- Zhen Zhang, Zaiping Pan, Qiuyuan Xu, Xiaohong Pan, Zhen Wang. Optimal Design of Power Transformer Tank Based on an Accurate Tank Mechanical Property Analysis Method. International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, 2013 Oct, p. 2229-32.
- Fernando Batista, Hélder Mendes, Emanuel Almeida. Structural Optimization of Power Transformer Tank Covers. 3rd International Conference on Integrity, Reliability and Failure, 2009 Jul.
- Shantanu R Torvi, Prachi Khullar, Deosharan Roy. Structural Design Optimization of 25 MVA 132 kV Power Transformer Tank Assembly. CG Global R&D Centre. p. 1-22.
- Armin Abazarpoor, Mohammad Halali, Hediyeh Khatibnezhad. Optimization of Acid Leaching of Rutile Containing Slag using Factorial Based Response Surface Modeling, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(4):1-8.
- Mahmoud Mohammadi, Mahin Nastaran, Alireza Sahebgharani. Sustainable Spatial Land Use Optimization through Non-dominated Sorting Genetic Algorithm-II (NSGAII): (Case Study: Baboldasht District of Isfahan). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Feb; 8(S3):118-129.
- Raj Kumar E, Annamalai K. Recent nontraditional optimization techniques for Assembly sequence planning. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics. 2015 Mar; 101(5):707-715.
- Biaosong Chen, Gang Liu, Jian Kang, Yunpeng Li. Design optimization of stiffened storage tank for spacecraft. Industrial Application: Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. 2008 Jul; 36(1):83-92.
- Manny UY, Jacqueline K. Telford. Optimization by Design of Experiment Techniques. Aerospace Conference, 2009 Mar, p. 1-10.
- CBIP manual on Power. http://www.cbip.org/pdf/Final Pub-List 1-4-2013.pdf. Date Accessed: 2013.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.