Total views : 265
Optimum MPPT Technique for the PV based Field Oriented Control of Induction Motor Feeding Centrifugal Pump
Objectives: To develop and analyze isolated photovoltaic based water pumping system employing Field Oriented Controlled (FOC) three-phase squirrel cage Induction Motor (IM) which in turn is used to run the centrifugal pump. To extract the maximum power from the solar panel during all conditions, Maximum Power Point Tracker (MPPT) has to be implemented. Method/Analysis: FOC-IM of 5th order differential equations have been solved using Runga Kutta Method for integration with dq axis in rotor reference frame in MATLAB/Simulink environment. The two MPPT techniques are based on calculations of the instantaneous values of the voltage and current of the PV cell. The Perturb and Observe (P&O) technique is based on the value of perturbation and the Incremental Conductance (INC) technique is implemented using the value of the Incremental Conductance. Findings: The power generation from various renewable energy sources is becoming popular because of greater efficiency and depletion of non renewable energy sources. In this paper, an isolated photovoltaic based model is considered which can be suitable for the remote areas where there is no grid connectivity. From the exhaustive study of literature, it is found that very few authors have worked on induction motor and that too employing FOC for PV based model. The characteristics of the Induction Motor are such that it draws high inrush current at starting. The peak power ratings of the inverters and converters depend on this starting current in such finite PV based sources. This ultimately leads to the high cost of the whole system. The analysis to this problem has not been discussed yet, which is an important concern in the field of PV based electric motor drives. This work is incorporated to achieve this objective. Novelty/Improvement: The whole developed model is analyzed using the two MPPT techniques viz Incremental Conductance and Perturb and Observe MPPT. The problem of starting current in the motor and the distortions in the torque deviations are highly dependent on the choice of MPPT. So keeping in view of the above two problems, the optimum MPPT technique has been stated in this work.
Centrifugal Pump, Field Oriented Control (FOC), Incremental Conductance (INC), Induction Motor (IM), Maximum Power Point Technique (MPPT), Photovoltaic System (PV), Perturb and Observe (P&O).
- Reddy PK, Rao VGM. Modelling and simulation of hybrid wind solar energy system using mppt. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(23):1–5.
- Moussi A, Saadi A, Betka A, Asher GM. Photovoltaic pumping systems technologies trends. Larhyss Journal. 2003; 127–50.
- Solar powered water pumps. Available from; http://www.nrdcindia.com/pages/solar20 powered 20waterpump.htm
- Malla SG, Bhende CN, Mishra S. Photovoltaic based water pumping system. IEEE. 2011.
- Rohit KB, Karve GM, Khatri. Solar water pumping system. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 2013; 3(7):323–7.
- Anna M, Immanuel S. MPPT based stand-alone water pumping system. ICCCET. 2011.
- Mokeddem A, Midoun A, Kadri D, Hiadsi S, Raja A. Performance of a directly-coupled PV water pumping system. Energy Conservation Management. 2011; 52(10):3089–95.
- Ahmed NA, Miyatake M, Al-Othman AK. Hybrid solar photovoltaic/wind turbine energy generation system with voltage-based maximum power point tracking. Electrical Power Components System. 2008; 37(1):43–60.
- Kulaksiz A. ANFIS-based estimation of PV module equivalent parameters: Application to a stand-alone PV system with MPPT controller. Turk J Electrical Engineering Computer Science. 2013; 21:2127–40.
- Nishioka K, Sakitani N, Kurobe K, Yamamoto Y, Ishikawa Y, Uraoka Y, Fuyuki T. Analysis of the temperature characteristics in polycrystalline Si solar cells using modified equivalent circuit model. Journal of Applied Physics. 2003; 42:7175–9.
- Imene Y, Jeddi N, Sana C, Maher C, Fernando T. MPPT techniques for a photovoltaic pumping system. 6th International Renewable Energy Congress (IREC); 2015.
- Abdelyazid A, Djamila R, Ahmed M, Zahra M, Toufik R, Seddik B. Application of direct torque control to a photovoltaic pumping system with sliding-mode control optimization. Available from: http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/uemp20
- Ioan D, Corneliu M. Increasing the efficiency of motor-pump systems using a vector controlled drive for PMSM application. 2014 International Symposium on Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering (ISFEE); 2015.
- Aashoor FAO, Robinson FVP. Maximum power point tracking of photovoltaic water pumping system using fuzzy logic controller. 2013 48th International Universities' Power Engineering Conference (UPEC); 2013.
- Water pumping system using fuzzy logic controller. IEEE; 2013 Sep 2-5.
- Sweta B, Aravind C. Mathematical modelling and simulation of directly coupled PV water pumping system employing switched reluctance motor. IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologie; India. 2011.
- Sreekumar T. Comparison of Proportional-Integral (P-I) and Integral-Proportional (I-P) controllers for speed control in Vector controlled Induction Motor Drive. 2nd International Conference on Power, Control and Embedded Systems; 2012.
- Abdelrahaman YEL, Mamadou LD. Comparative study of speed estimation techniques for sensorless vector control of induction machine. IECON 2012 - 38th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society; 2012.
- Singla C, Pahwa V, Kumar D. Selection of optimum reference frame for the field oriented control of an induction motor. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2016 Aug; 147(9):1–4.
- Shiqiong Z, Longyun K, Jing S, Guifang G, Bo C, Binggang C, Yiping T. A novel maximum power point tracking algorithms for stand-alone photovoltaic system. International Journal Control Automation System. 2010; 8(6):1364–71.
- Rekioua D, Bensmail S, Bettar N. Development of hybrid photovoltaic-fuel cell system for stand-alone application. International Journal Hydrogen Energy. 2014; 39(3):1604–11.
- Hua C, Lin JR. DSP-based controller application in battery storage of photovoltaic system. In Proceedings of IEEE IECON 22nd International Conference on Industrial Electronics, Control and Instrumentation; 1996. p. 1705–10.
- Deepak V, Savita N, Shandilya AM, Soubhagya KD. Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) techniques: Recapitulation in solar photovoltaic systems. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2016; 54:1018–34.
- Wasynczuk O. Dynamic behavior of a class of photovoltaic power systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. 1983; 102(9):3031–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.