Total views : 474
Fault Diagnosis of Bearings using Vibration Signals and Wavelets
Objectives: Being widely used in most of the industrial machineries, bearings are subjected to wear and tear. Failure of bearings can incur heavy losses in the industries. In order to prevent such mishaps during operation, it is necessary to subject the bearings to a suitable fault diagnosis technique. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Vibration analysis is performed to detect the fault in bearings. For the fault analysis, vibration signals were taken for good, inner race defect, outer race defect and combination of these defects. Since vibration signals are complex and the defect related signature is buried deep within the noise and high frequency resonance, simple signal processing cannot be used for effectively detecting bearing fault. In this paper, discrete wavelets transform were used to detect bearing faults. For wavelet and feature selection, J48 decision tree algorithm was used. For feature classification, Best First Tree (BFT) algorithm was used. Findings: The experimental results indicate biorthogonal wavelets show maximum successful bearing fault detection rate. The classification accuracy was calculated and found to be 96.25%. This result is further refined to get better classification accuracy and the final result was found to be 98%. Application/Improvements: This can be considered to be a part of a preventive maintenance method in order to avoid mishaps in industries. The classification accuracy can be further improved using different algorithms.
Biorthogonal, Decision Tree, Fault Diagnosis, Feature Selection, Vibration Signals, Wavelet Selection, Wavelet Transforms.
- Bently D. Predictive maintenance through the monitoring and diagnostics of rolling element bearings. Applications Note, ANO44. Bently Nevada Co; 1989. p. 2–8.
- Peng ZK , Chu FL. Application of wavelet transform in machine condition monitoring and fault diagnostics: A review with bibliography. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2004 Mar; 18(2):199–21.
- Nikolaou NG, Antoniadis IA. Rolling element bearing fault diagnosis using wavelet packets. NDT&E International. 2002 Apr; 35(3):197–205.
- Sakthivel NR, Sugumaran V, Babudevasenapati S. Vibration based fault diagnosis of monoblock centrifugal pump using decision tree. International Journal of Expert Systems with Applications. 2010 Jun; 37(6):4040–9.
- Pandya DH, Upadhyay SH, SHarsha SP. Fault diagnosis of rolling elements by using multinomial logistic regression and wavelet packet transform. Methodologies And Application. 2014 Feb; 18(2):255–66.
- Rajakarunakaran S, Venkumar P, Devaraj D, Rao KSP. Artificial Neural Network approach for fault detection in rotary system. Applied Soft Computing. 2008 Jan; 8(1):740–8.
- Sakthivel NR, Sugumaran V, Nair B. Comparison of decision tree-fuzzy and rough set-fuzzy methods for fault categorization of mono-block centrifugal pump. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2010 Aug; 24(6):1887–906.
- Sugumaran V, Muralidharan V,. Ramachandran KI. Feature selection using decision tree and classification through proximal support vector machine for fault diagnostics of roller bearing. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2007 Feb; 21(2):930–42.
- Muralidharan V, Sugumaran V. A comparative study of Naive Bayes classifier and Bayesnet classifier for fault diagnosis of monoblock centrifugal pump using wavelet analysis. Journal of Applied Soft Computing. 2012 Aug; 12(8):2023–9.
- Sugumaran V, Kumar TAR, Amarnath M Hemanta Kumar. Fault diagnosis of bearings through vibration signal using Bayes classifiers. International Journal for Computer Aided Engineering and Technology. 2014 Jan; 6(1):14–28.
- Lou X, Loparo KA. Bearing fault diagnosis based on wavelet transform and fuzzy inference. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2004 Sep; 18(7):1077–95.
- Tse PW, Peng YH, Yam R. Wavelet analysis and envelope detection for rolling element bearing fault diagnosis - Their effectiveness and flexibilities. Journal of Vibration and Acoustic. 2001 Mar; 123(3):303–10.
- Manju BR, Rajan AR, Sugumaran V. Wavelet design for fault diagnosis of Roller Bearings using Countinous Wavelet Transforms. IJMET. 2010 Jul–Aug; 1(1):38–48.
- Muralidharan V, Sugumaran V. Selection of Discrete Wavelets for fault diagnosis of monoblock centrifugal pump using the J48 algorithm. Applied Artificial Intelligence. 2013 Jan; 27(1):1–19.
- Prabhakar S, Mohanty AR, Sekhar AS. Application of Discrete Wavelet Transform for detection of ball bearing race faults. Tribology International . 2002 Dec; 35(12):793–800.
- Jagadeeshwaran R, Sugumaran V. Comparative study of decision tree classifier and Best First Tree classifier for fault diagnosis of automobile hydraulic brake system using statistical features. Measurement. 2013 Nov; 46(9):3247–60.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.