Total views : 406
Fault Diagnostics of a Gearbox via Acoustic Signal using Wavelet Features, J48 Decision Tree and Random Tree Classifier
Objectives: Heart of the transmission system in most machineries are gears for efficient power transmission. Even minor faults in gear can lead to major losses in terms of energy as well as in terms of money. The unwanted by-product while operating gear box are vibration and acoustic signals, which can be used for the condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of the gearbox. This study proposes the usage of machine learning algorithm for condition monitoring of a helical gearbox by using the acoustic signals produced by the gearbox. Methods/Analysis: The acoustic signals were captured using microphone from a gearbox with artificially created fault conditions. A comprehensive study was carried out using different discrete wavelet transformations for feature extraction which was further used in generating J48 decision tree algorithm and subsequently it was employed for selection and classification of the extracted features. Finding: Through this study the classification accuracy obtained is 97.619% by varying the different parameter to achieve the highest accuracy level. Data used in this study is exclusively obtained through experiment and subsequently through J48 decision tree and random tree classification accuracy level is studied to accomplish the highest accuracy. Novelty/Improvements: The comparison of different discrete wavelet transforms of the acoustic signals proved Daubechies 5 Discrete Wavelet Transform is the best suited one to use. The methodology yielded a satisfactory classification accuracy of 97.619%, which is higher than what was obtained by similar experiments with different methodology till date. The results and their analysis is discussed in the study. The performance of this methodology may be further improved by using different classifiers.
Acoustic Signals, Gearbox, J48 Decision Tree, Random Tree, Wavelets
- Wuxing L, Tse PW, Guilicai Z, Tilien S. Classification of gear faults using cumulant and the radial basis functions. Mechanical System Processing. 2004 Mar; 18(2):381–9.
- Amarnath M, Praveen Krishna IR. Local fault detection in helical gears via vibration and acoustic signals using EMD based statistical parameter analysis. Measurement. 2014 Dec; 58:154–64.
- Wu JD, Liu CH. An expert system for fault diagnosis in internal combustion engines using Wavelet Packet Transform and neural network. Expert Systems with Application. 2009 Apr; 36(3):4278–86.
- Yesilurt I. Fault detection and location in gears by the smoothed instantaneous power spectrum distribution. NDT&E International. 2003 Oct; 36(7):535–42.
- Aharamuthu K, Ayyasamy EP. Application of Discrete Wavelet Transform and Zhao-Atlas-Marks transforms in non-stationary gear fault diagnosis. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology. 2013 Mar; 27(3):641–7.
- Rafiee J, Rafiee MA, Tse PW. Application of mother wavelet functions for automatic gear and bearing fault diagnosis. Expert Systems with Applications. 2010 Jun; 37(6):4568–79.
- Kia SH, Henao H, Capolino GA. Diagnosis of broken bar fault in induction machines using Discrete Wavelet Transform without slip estimation. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications. 2009 Jul-Aug; 45(4):1395–404.
- Fan X, Zuo MJ. Gearbox fault detection using Hilbert and Wavelet Packet Transform. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2006 May; 20(4):966–82.
- Saravanan N, Ramachandran KI. Incipient gear box fault diagnosis using Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT) for feature extraction and classification using Artificial Neural Network (ANN). Expert Systems with Applications. 2010 Jun; 37(6):4168–81.
- Saravanan N, Kumar Siddabattuni VNS, Ramachandran KI. Fault diagnosis of spur bevel gear box using Artificial Neural Network (ANN) and Proximal Support Vector Machine (PSVM). Applied Soft Computing. 2010 Jan; 10(1):344–60.
- Sakthivel NR, Sugumaran V, Nair BB. Automatic rule learning using rough set for fuzzy classifier in fault categorization of centrifugal pump. International Journal of Applied Soft Computing. 2012 Jan; 12(1):196–203.
- Sharma A, Sugumaran V, Babu Devasenapati S. Misfire detection in an IC engine using vibration signal and Decision Tree algorithms. Measurement. 2014 Apr; 50:370–80.
- Suykens JAK, Van Gestel T, Vandewalle J, De Moor B. A Support Vector Machine formulation to PCA analysis and its Kernel version. IEEE Transactions of Neural Networks . 2003; 14(2):447–50.
- Samanta B, Al-balushi KR, Al-araim SA. Artificial Neural Networks and Support Vector Machines with Genetic Algorithm for bearing fault detection. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. 2003 Oct–Dec; 16(78):657–65.
- Chandrasekhar AM. Raghuveer K. Intrusion detection technique by using K-means, Fuzzy Neural Network and SVM Classifiers. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics (ICCCI); 2013 Jan. p. 1–7.
- Wu H, Zhang X, Xie H, Kuang Y. Classification of solder joint using feature selection based on Bayes Support Vector Machine. IEEE Transaction on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology. 2013 Mar; 3(3):516–22.
- Saravanan N, Kumar Siddabattuni VNS, Ramachandran KI. A comparative study on classification of features by SVM and PSVM extracted using Morlet wavelet for fault diagnosis of spur bevel gearbox. Expert Systems with Applications. 2008 Oct; 35(3):1351–66.
- Kohavi R. Scaling up the accuracy of Naive-Bayes classifiers: A Decision Tree hybrid. Second International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining; 1997 Sep. p. 202–7.
- Amarnath M, Jain D, Sugumaran V. Fault diagnosis of helical gearbox using naive Bayes and Bayes net. International Journal of Decision Support Systems. 2015; 1(1):4–17.
- C4.5 Algorithm. 2016. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C4.5_algorithm
- Staszewski WJ, Worden K, Tomlinson GR. Time-frequency analysis in gearbox fault detection using the Wigner-Ville distribution and pattern recognition. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 1997 Sep; 11(5):673–92.
- Yesilyurt I, Gu F, Ball AD. Gear tooth stiffness measurement using modal analysis and its use in wear fault severity assessment of spur gears. NDT&E International. 2003 Jul; 36(5):357–72.
- Yesilyurt I. Gearbox fault detection and severity assessment using vibration analysis. Ethos, e-These Online Service; 1997.
- Loutridis SJ. Damage detection in gear system using empirical mode decomposition. Engineering Structures. 2004 Oct; 26(12):1833–41.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.