Total views : 314
Acoustic Signal Based Condition Monitoring of Gearbox using Wavelets and Decision Tree Classifier
Objectives: Most machineries employ gears for efficient power transmission. Even minor faults with the gear box can lead to severe losses both in terms of energy and money. The vibration and acoustic signals from the gear box, which usually are said to be as an unwanted by-product of the operation, can be used for the condition monitoring and fault diagnosis of the gearbox. This study proposes the usage of machine learning algorithm for condition monitoring of a helical gearbox by using the sound signals produced by the gearbox. Methods/Analysis: The acoustic signals were captured using microphone from a gearbox with artificially created fault conditions. An exhaustive study using different discrete wavelet transformations for feature extraction from the acoustic signals was carried out and subsequently J48 Decision Tree algorithm was employed for selection and classification of the extracted features. Findings: The time domain acoustic signals were converted into frequency time domain data using different discrete wavelet transforms. Of all the wavelet ransforms, the Daubechies 5 Discrete Wavelet Transform was found to be the best suited for the current scenario. The methodology yielded a satisfactory classification accuracy of 97.6% when classified using J48 algorithm. Novelty/ Improvements: The classification accuracy yielded through this methodology is higher than what was obtained by similar experiments with different methodologies till date. The results and their analysis is discussed in the study. The whole methodology when put in a real time sytem will have the capability to monitor the condition and diagnose the faults in the gearbox quickly and effectively. The performance of this methodology may be further improved by using different classifier algorithms.
Acoustic Signal, Condition Monitoring, Decision Tree Classifier, Gearbox, Wavelets.
- Amarnath M, Sujatha C, Swarnamani S. Experimental studies on the effects of reduction in gear tooth stiffness and lubricant film thickness in a spur geared system. Tribology International. 2009 Feb; 42(2):340–52.
- Gu D, Kim J, An Y, Choi B. Detection of faults in gearboxes using acoustic emission signal. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology. 2011 May; 25(5):1279–86.
- Amarnath M, Krishna IRP. Local fault detection in helical gears via vibration and acoustic signals using EMD based statistical parameter analysis. Measurement. 2014 Dec; 58(1):154–64.
- Sakthivel NR, Indira V, Nair BB, Sugumaran V. Use of histogram features for Decision Tree based fault diagnosis of monoblock centrifugal pump. IJGCRSIS. 2011 Jan; 2(1):23–36.
- Wu JD, Liu CH. An expert system for fault diagnosis in internal combustion engines using wavelet packet transform and neural network. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009 Apr; 36(3):4278–86.
- Yesilyurt I. Fault detection and location in gears by the smoothed instantaneous power spectrum distribution. NDT&E International. 2003 Oct; 36(7):535–42.
- Aharamuthu K, Ayyasamy EP. Application of Discrete Wavelet Transform and Zhao-Atlas-Marks transforms in non-stationary gear fault diagnosis. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology. 2013 Mar; 27(3):641–7.
- Fan X, Zuo MJ. Gearbox fault detection using Hilbert and Wavelet Packet Transform. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2006 May; 20(4):966–82.
- Rafiee J, Rafiee MA, Tse PW. Application of mother wavelet functions for automatic gear and bearing fault diagnosis. Expert Systems with Applications. 2010 Jun; 37(6):4568–79.
- Kia SH, Henao H, Capolino GA. Diagnosis of broken-bar fault in induction machines using Discrete Wavelet Transform without slip estimation. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications. 2009 May; 45(4):1395–403.
- Sakthivel NR, Sugumaran V, Nair BB. Automatic rule learning using roughset for fuzzy classifier in fault categorization of centrifugal pump. International Journal of Applied soft computing. 2012 Jan; 12(1):196–203.
- Saravanan N , Ramachandran KI. Incipient gear box fault diagnosis using Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT) for feature extraction and classification using Artificial Neural Network (ANN). Expert Systems with Applications. 2010 Jun; 37(6):4168–81.
- Sharma A, Sugumaran V, Devasenapati SB. Misfire detection in an IC engine using vibration signal and Decision Tree algorithms. Measurement. 2014 Apr; 50(1):370–80.
- Suykens JAK, Gestel TV , Vandewalle J, De Moor B. A Support Vector Machine formulation to PCA analysis and its Kernel version. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks. 2003 Mar; 14(2):447–50.
- Samanta B, Al-balushi KR, Al-araim SA. Artificial Neural Networks and Support Vector Machines with Genetic Algorithm for bearing fault detection. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. 2003 Dec; 16(7):657–65.
- Li C, Sanchez RV, Zurita G, Cerrada M, Cabrera D. Rafael EV. Multimodal deep support vector classification with homologous features and its application to gearbox fault diagnosis. Neurocomputing. 2015 Nov; 168:119–27.
- Saravanan N, Siddabattuni VNSK, Ramachandran KI. A comparative study on classification of features by SVM and PSVM extracted using Morlet wavelet for fault diagnosis of spur bevel gear box. Expert Systems with Applications. 2008 Oct; 35(3):1351–66.
- Saravanan N, Siddabattuni VNSK, Ramachandran KI. Fault diagnosis of spur bevel gear box using Artificial Neural Network (ANN) and Proximal Support Vector Machine (PSVM). Applied Soft Computing. 2010 Jan; 10(1):344–60.
- Amarnath M, Jain D, Sugumaran V. Fault diagnosis of helical gear box using naive Bayes and Bayes net. International Journal of Decision Support Systems. 2015 Jan; 1(1):4–28.
- Saravanan N, Ramachandran KI. Fault diagnosis of spur bevel gear box using discrete wavelet features and Decision Tree classification. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009 Jul; 36 (5):9564–73.
- Amarnath M, Krishna IRP. Detection and diagnosis of surface wear failure in a spur geared system using EEMD based vibration signal analysis. Tribology International. 2013 May; 61:224–34.
- Muralidharan V, Sugumaran V. Feature extraction using wavelets and classification through Decision Tree algorithm for fault diagnosis of mono-block centrifugal pump. Measurement. 2013 Jan; 46(1):353–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.