Total views : 294
Experimental Studies on Heat Transfer Performance of Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger with Air Bubble Injection
Objective: The present work has been done to investigate the effect on the heat transfer characteristics by injecting air bubbles at different injection points. Methods: The experimentation has been carried out with distilled water and with and without injection of air bubbles. The effect on heat transfer coefficient and Nusselt number have been determined at various Reynolds Number. Findings: It has been observed that in comparison to the simple distilled water as cooling fluid, distilled water with air bubble injection shows more heat transfer enhancement. The result showed that the Nusselt number increased by 30%-45% with injection of air bubbles throughout the tube section. An enhancement of 25-40% in the heat transfer coefficient has been observed with the same condition. Improvements/Applications: This technique can be used in industries where shell and tubes are widely being used. Using this technique, the performance can be improved with much investment over operating cost.
Air Bubbles, Heat Transfer Coefficient, Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger.
- Ahmadzadehtalatapeh M, Yau YH. Energy conservation potential of heat pipe heat exchanger: Exprimental study and predictions. International Journal of Engineering Transection B: Applications. 2012 Aug; 25(3):193–200.
- Kahrom M, Haghparast P, Javadi SM. Optimization of heat transferenhancement of flat plate based on pereto genetic algorithm. International Journal of Engineering, Transaction A: Basics. 2010 Apr; 23(2):177–90.
- Lee HS. Thermal design. John Wiley and Sons; 2010.
- Li H, Kottke V. Analysis of local shell side heat and mass transfer in shell and tube heat exchanger with disc and doughnut baffles. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 1999 Sep; 42(18):3509–21.
- Peng B, Wang QW, Zhang C, Xie GN, Luo LQ Chen QY, Zeng M. An experimental study of shell and tube heat exchangers with continuous helical baffles. Journal of Heat Transfer. 2007 Jan; 129(10):1425–31.
- Jamsidi N, Farhadi M, Ganji DD, Sedighi K. Experimental analysis of heat transfer enhancement in a shell and tube heat exchanger. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2013 Mar; 51(1–2):644–52.
- Farajollahi B, Etemad S, Hojjat M. Heat transfer of nanofluids in shell and tube heat exchanger. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2010 Jan; 53(1–3):12–17.
- Shahrul IM, Mahbubul IM, Saidur R, Sabri MFM. Experimental investigation on Al2O3-W, SiO2-W and ZnO-W nanofluids and their applications in a shell and tube heat exchanger. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2016 Jun; 97:547–58.
- Thorncroft GE, Klausner JF, Mei R. An experimental investigation of bubble growth in vertical up flow and down flow boiling. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer.1998 Dec; 41(23):3857–71.
- Yoon HY, Koshizucha S, Oka Y. Direct calculation of bubble growth and rise in nucleate pool boiling. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. 2001 Feb; 27(2):277–98.
- Vlasogiannis P, Karagiannis G, Argyropoulos P, Bontozoglou. Air-water two-phase flow and heat transfer in a plate heat exchanger. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. 2002 May; 28(2):757–72.
- Kitagawa A, Kosuge K, Uchida K, Hagiwara Y. Heat transfer enhancement for laminar natural convection along a vertical plate due to sub-millimeter-bubble injection. Experimental Fluids. 2008 Jan; 45(3):743–84.
- Samroo R, Kaur N, Itoh K, Lee T, Banerjee S, Kawaji M. Turbulent flow characteristics in an annulus under air bubble injection and subcooled flow boiling conditions. Nuclear Engineering Design. 2014 Mar; 268:203–14.
- Dizaji HS, Jafarmadar S. Heat transfer enhancement due to air bubble injection into horizontal double pipe heat exchanger. International Journal of Automotive Engineering. 2014 Dec; 4(4):902–10.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.