Total views : 189
Tuning of Process Parameters of Indexable Carbide Cutters (Milling) by using Taguchi Methodology
Objective: Increase in production by maintaining quality of products with economical machining processes is main need of industry. A product can be made economical by reducing expenses of machining or by optimum use of tools. So if we use carbide, HSS tools as according to process, we can overcome these obstacles. In this paper we use two types of index able cutters and optimize their results. Both cutters have similar functions such as milling, gangue milling and side and face milling. Methods: Index able cutters are mostly used for bulk production in automotive industries, agriculture industries to produce hubs, brackets, structural parts etc. Mostly two types of cutters TPKN cutter (three edges) and SPKN (four edges) are used. There are used for machining of high strength material like aluminum. Many of the factors affect machining quality as well as the tool life. In this paper we have used to study how different parameters of both the tools affects machining of SG iron with index able cutters to achieve better results with changes in different parameters are analyzed and optimized by L18 orthogonal array with Taguchi methodology. By which we can decide which one of tool is more convenient to use as compare to another one. Findings: In this research we have concluded how different parameters affect SPKN and TPKN tools. Comparison of both the cutters has been done for same conditions of variable parameters. Applications: Machining in gang milling, face milling, side and face milling.
Index Able Cutters, MRR, SPKN, Surface Roughness, TPKN.
- Khorasani MM, Yazdi MRS, Safizadeh MS. Tool Life prediction in face milling machining of 7075 Al by using Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) and Taguchi Design of Experiment (DOE). A IACSIT International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2011 Feb; 3(1):30–5.
- Soshi M, Ueda E, Mori M. A productive and cost effecting CBN hard-milling based fabrication method of hardened sliding guide ways made of refined cast iron. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2014 Feb; 70(5):911–7.
- Altintas Y. Manufacturing automation: Metal cutting mechanics. Machine Tool Vibrations and CNC design. 2nd ed. Cambridge University Press. 2012 Jan.
- Kuram E. Optimization of the cutting fluids and parameters using Taguchi and ANOVA in milling. Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering. 2010 Jun-Jul; 2:1–5.
- Routara BC, Mohanty SD, Datta SD, Bandyopadhyay A, Mahapatra SS. Optimization in CNC end milling of UNS C34000 medium leaded brass with multiple surface roughnesses characteristics. Sadhana. 2010 Oct; 35(5):619–29.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.