Total views : 256
Study on Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of Aluminum Alloy 63401 Metal Matrix Composite Reinforced with Silicon Carbide Powder
Objectives: The present research examine the mechanical properties and microstructure of aluminum alloy 63401 metal matrix composite reinforced with silicon carbide powder of different wt% i.e. 3%, 6% and 9% and different grain size. Different weight percent of SiC i.e. 3%, 6% and 9% with different grain size of 177 μm, 149 μm and 74 μm. Methods: The mechanical properties i.e. hardness, tensile strength and impact strength were studied by preparing the required samples by stir casting method. Findings: From the obtained results we found that more the weight percentage of SiC powder, impact strength, tensile strength and hardness increases but the percentage elongation decreases with increase in weight percentage of SiC and increases with decrease in grain size of SiC. Also microstructure shows the nearly distribution of reinforcement material. Applications: They can be used in making body parts of vehicles having great impact strength. Making different parts of aeroplanes and also used in producing bus bars of higher strength.
Aluminum Alloys 63401, Silicon Carbide, Stir Casting.
- Prasanna, Devraj, Kumar R, Mahadevappa. A study on mechanical properties of silicon carbide-glass and red mud reinforced (LM25) composite. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering. 2014 May-Jun; 11(3):8–19.
- Vinitha Motgi BS. Evaluation of mechanical properties of Al 7075 alloy, fly ash, SiC and red mud reinforced metal matrix composite. International Journal for Scientific Research and Development. 2014; 2(7):190–3.
- Kumar VSM, Motagi BS. A study on mechanical properties of aluminum alloy (Lm6) reinforced with fly ash, red mud and silicon carbide. International Organization of Scientific Research Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering. 2014 Sep-Oct; 11(5):7–16.
- Alaneme KK, Bodurin MO. Mechanical behaviour of alumina reinforced AA 6063 metal matrix composites developed by two step-stir casting process. Acta Technica Corvinienses-Bulletin of Engineering; 2013 Jul-Sep. p. 105–10.
- Ahmed A, Rao PNS, Murthy PSL, Suraj S. Mechanical properties of aluminum alloy Al356.2 Matrix reinforced with zirconium particles. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2015 Jul; 2(4):1049–52.
- Amirkhanlou S, Niromund D. Synthesis and characterization of 356-SiCp composites by stir casting and compo casting methods. Transactions of Non ferrous Metals Society of China. 2010 Sep; 20(3):788–93.
- Idrisi Hussain A, Singh Dev V, Saxena V. Development and testing of Al5083 alloy reinforced by SiC particles. International Journal of Scientific Research Engineering and Technology. 2014 Feb; 2(11):697–704.
- Pradeep R, Kumar PBS, Prasanth B. Evaluation of mechanical properties of aluminum alloy 7075 reinforced with silicon carbide and red mud composite. International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science. 2014 Oct-Nov; 2(6):1081–8.
- Chrity TV, Murugan N, Kumar S. A comparative study on the microstructures and mechanical properties of Al 6061 alloy and the MMC Al 6061/TiB2/12P. Journal of Chemistry and Materials Science. 2010 Jan; 9(1):57–65.
- Ravesh Kumar S, Garg TK. Preparation and analysis for some mechanical property of aluminum based metal matrix composite reinforced with SiC and fly ash. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. 2012 Nov-Dec; 2(6):727–31.
- Hadi M, Sheikhi Morad M. Investigation of mechanical and microstructure of fine graincopper via friction stir processing method. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(11):1–9.
- Manoharan N, Selvakumar V. Cryogenic mechanical properties of PP/mmt polymer nanocomposites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Nov; 7(S7):16–23.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.