Total views : 991
Experimental Investigation of Heat Transfer Characteristics of Plate Heat Exchanger using Alumina - Water based Nanofluids at Different Orientations
Objectives: Fluids like nanofluids which are rich in thermal conductivity have very good impact on the heat transfer rate of any device. The main aim of this study is to carry out research on the heat transfer characteristics of plate heat exchanger with different orientations using Al2O3/nanofluids. Methods: Two different concentration (0.1% v/v and 0.2% v/v) of nanofluids have been used in this research. Inclination angles 0°, 30°, 60°, 90° have been used in this experiment. Experiments firstly carried out with double distilled water then with 0.1% and 0.2% v/v nanofluids. Performance of plate heat exchanger with use of nanofluids compared with water to check the effects of use of nanofluids. Findings: Results addresses that the overall performance of the plate heat improve by using nanofluids as a working fluid in a plate heat exchanger. Average increment of approximately 28% has been noticed in case of the nanofluids. Results also addresses that the average decrement of approximately 10- 15% has been observed when the orientation of plate heat exchanger changes from horizontal to inclined (30°). Improvements/Applications: This technique can be used in industries to improve the performance of heat exchange device.
Al2O3/Water Nanofluids, Heat Transfer Characteristics, Plate Heat Exchanger.
- Siginer A, Wang HP. Developments and applications of non-newtonian flows. American Society of Mechanical Engineers; 1995 Nov.
- Choi SUS. Enhancing the thermal conductivity of fluid with nano particles. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition; 1995 Nov. p. 1–8.
- Sudjito S, Wahydi S, Hamidy N. Effect of cooling process of Al2O3/water nanofluid on convective heat transfer. Feature Manipulation Engine Transactions. 2014 Feb; 42:155–61.
- Ganesh R, Irtisha DS, Kosti S, Nemade R. Heat transfer enhancement by nano fluids. Convective Heat Mass Transfer; 2012 Apr. p. 1–9.
- Namburu PK, Kulkarni DP, Mishra D, Das DK. Viscosity of copper oxide nanoparticles dispersed in the ethylene glycol and water mixture. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 2007 Nov; 32(2):397–402.
- Pang C, Jung JY, Lee J, Kang YT. Thermal conductivity measurement of methanol based nanofluids with Al2O3 and SiO2 particle. International Journal of Heat and MassTransfer. 2012 Oct; 55(s21-s22):5597–602.
- Chandrashekhar M, Suresh S, Bose AC. Experimental investigation and theoretical determination of thermal conductivity of Al2O3/water nanofluids. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 2010 Feb; 34(2):210–16.
- Nada EA. Effect of variable viscosity and thermal conductivity of Al2O3/water nanofluids on heat transfer enhancement in natural convection. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. 2009 Aug; 30(4):679–90.
- Zhu D, Li X, Wang N, Wang X, Gao J, Li H. Dispersion behavior and thermal conductivity characteristics of Al2O3/water nanofluids. Current Applied Physics. 2009 Jan; 9(1):131–9.
- Saxena R, Gangacharyulu D, Bulasara VK. Heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of dilute alumina –water nanofluids in pipe at different power inputs. Heat Transfer Engineering. 2016 May; 37(18):1554–65.
- Khan MS, Khan TS, Ming CC, Ayub ZH. Evaporation heat transfer and pressure drop of ammonia in a mixed configuration chevron plate heat exchanger. International Journal of Refrigeration. 2014 May; 41:92–102.
- Sarafraz MM, F. Hormozi F. Heat transfer, pressure drop and fouling studies of multi-walled carbon nanotube nanofluids inside a plate heat exchanger. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 2016 Apr; 72:1–11.
- Sharma D, Pandey K. Numerical investigation of heat transfer characteristics in triangular channel in light water nuclear reactor by using CuO-water based nanofluid. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(16):1–6.
- Kim JY, Park H, Park B, Choi S, Kim S. Experimental study on heat transfer performance of Rectangular plate heat pipe. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S1):110–14.
- Karmipour A, Alipour H, Akbari OA, Semiromi DT, Esfe MH. Studing the effect of indentation on flow parameters and slow heat transfer of water silver nanofluid with varying volume fraction in a rectangular two dimensional micro channel. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 Apr; 8(15):1–13.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.