Total views : 229
CNC Machining of Reverse Engineered Pseudo-symmetric Sculptured Surface Models
Replicating the complex sculptured surfaces with fair degree of precision cannot be accomplished without the use of reverse engineering technologies. The modern Computer Aided Design (CAD) systems offer variety of tools to manipulate 3D data of the reverse engineered parts/surface features so that these can be manufactured using multi-axis machining systems. Objectives: In the present work an attempt has been made to use the 3D scanning, CAD and Computer Numeric Control (CNC) technologies together for the machining of pseudo-symmetrical sculptured models. The 3D scanned models have been first converted to a triangulated/ STereoLithography (STL) data model of suitable accuracy. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The developed STL models are further manipulated in the Pro-E CAD environment for making machinable STL model suitable for a custom developed CNC tool path planning software code. The CNC tool path code takes the modified STL model as input to generate the roughing and finishing tool path data required for actual machining. The validity of the developed CNC tool path data files is verified using a 3D graphical CNC simulator before machining. Findings: The design details of the complex sculptured parts can be captured from initial handmade / crafted models using 3D scanning technologies. The scanned data can be used to generate the 3D CAD model of the scanned part using the general purpose CAD modelling software. Finally the sculptured artistic models are machined on a 3-axis CNC milling lathe. The machined sculptured surface models closely matched the design intend of the scanned parts, which proves the validity of the procedure followed for the machining of complex pseudo-symmetric surface models. Application/Improvements: To machine the complex sculptured surfaces. Five axis CNC milling can be use to machine the Bezier and Non-Uniform Rational B-Spline (NURBS) surfaces instead of STL. *
Computer Numeric Control (CNC), Pseudo-symmetric, Reverse Engineering, Sculptured Surface Models, STereoLithography (STL).
- Dragomatz D, Mann S. A classified bibliography of literature on NC milling path generation. Computer-Aided Design. 1997 Mar, 29(3):239-47.
- Fleisig RV, Spence AD. A constant feed and reduced angular acceleration interpolation algorithm for multi-axis machining. Computer-Aided Design. 2001 Jan; 33(1):1-15.
- Lasemi A, Xue D, Gu P. Recent development in CNC machining of freeform surfaces: A state-of-the-art review. Computer aided Design. 2010 Jul; 42(7):641-54.
- Makhanov SS. Adaptable geometric patterns for five-axis machining: a survey. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2010 Apr; 47(9):1167-208.
- Jensen CG, Anderson DC. A review of numerically controlled methods for finish-sculpture-surface machining. Institute of International Education Transactions. 1996; 28(1):30-39.
- Lauwers B, Kiswanto G, Kruth JP. Development of a five-axis milling tool path generation algorithm based on faceted models. Collège International pour la Recherche en Productique Annals - Manufacturing Technology. 2003; 52(1):85-88.
- Yau HT, Chuang CM, Lee YS. Numerical control machining of triangulated sculptured surfaces in a stereo lithographyformat with a generalized cutter. International Journal of Production Research. 2004 Jul; 42(13):2573-98.
- Manos NP, Bedi S, Miller D, Mann S. Single controlled axis lathe mill. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2007 Feb; 32(1):55-65.
- Patel K, Bolaños GS. Bassi R, Bedi S. Optimal tool shape selection based on surface geometry for three-axis CNC machining. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2011 Nov; 57(5):655-70.
- Duvedi RK, Bedi S, Batish A, Mann S. A multipoint method for 5-axis machining of triangulated surface models. Computer-Aided Design. 2014 Jul; 52:17-26.
- Duvedi RK, Bedi S, Batish A, Mann S. Numeric implementation of drop and tilt method of 5-axis tool positioning for machining of STL surfaces. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer-Verlag London. 2015 Jun; 78(9):1677-90.
- Duvedi RK, Batish A, Bedi S, Mann S. Scallop height of 5-axis machining of large triangles with a flat end mill. Computer Aided Design and Applications. 2015 Apr; 12(6):710-16.
- Mann S, Bedi S, Israeli G, Zhou X. Machine models and tool motions for simulating five-axis machining. Computer-Aided Design. 2010 Mar; 42(3):231-37.
- PBG 2048CNC. CNC Lathe Mill Manual
- Meshlabsofware.http://meshlab.sourceforge.net. Date accessed: 12/02/2014.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.