Total views : 260
Study on Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of Aluminium Alloy 63401 Reinforced with Alumina Powder
Objectives: This paper includes the study of mechanical properties and microstructure characterization of aluminium alloy 63401 reinforced with alumina powder of different mesh size and different weight percentage. Methods: Fabrication of composite material is done by stir casting process because it is the cheapest way to fabricate mass samples. Different grain size of (149μm, 74μm, 37μm) and different weight percentage of (3%, 6%, 9%) have been used in this experiment. Findings: The tensile strength, impact strength and hardness of the composite material produced by reinforcing alumina powder increases with increase in the percentage of alumina powder and also vary with particle size of alumina powder. Applications: This type of composite material can be used in aerospace and automobile sectors.
AL 63401, Alumina Powder, Stir Casting.
- Hassan AM, Alrashdan A, Hayajneh MT, Mayyas AT. Wear behaviour of Al–Mg–Cu-based composites containing Sic particles. Tribology International. 2009 Aug; 42(8):1230-38.
- Gui M, Kang SB. Dry sliding wear behaviour of plasma sprayed aluminium hybrid Composite coatings. Metallurgical and Material Transactions A. 2001 Sep; 32(9):2383-92.
- Tang F, Wu X, Ge S, Ye J, Zhu H, Hagiwara M, Schoenung JM. Dry sliding friction and wear properties of B4C particulate-reinforced Al-5083 matrix composites. Wear. 2008 Mar; 264(8):555-61.
- Zhan Y, Zhang G. Graphite and SiC hybrid particles reinforced copper composite and its tribological characteristic. Journal of Material Science and Letters. 2003 Aug; 22(15):1087-89.
- Leng J, Jiang L, Wu G, Tian S, Chen G. Effect of graphite particle reinforcement on dry sliding wear of SiC/Gr/Al composites. Rare Metal and Material Engineering. 2009 Nov; 38(11):1894-98.
- Alaneme KK, Bodunrin MO. Mechanical behaviour of alumina reinforced AA6063 metal matrix composite developed by two step-stir casting process. Acta Technica Corviniensis- Bulletin of Engineering. 2013 Jul, p. 105-110.
- Kumar GBV, Rao CSP, Selvaraj N, Bhagyashekar MS. Studies on Al6061-SiC and Al7075-Al2O3 metal matrix composites. Journal of Minerals and Material Characterization and Engineering. 2010 Jan; 9(1):43-55.
- Devraj P, Kumar R, Vappa M, Sharanbasappa RP. A study of mechanical properties of Silicon carbide, E-glass and Red mud reinforced Aluminium (LM25) composite. International Organization of Scientific Research Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering. 2014 May-Jun; 11(3):8-19.
- Mahajan G, Karve N, Patil U, Kuppan P, Venkatesan K. Analysis of microstructure, hardness and wear of Al-SiC-TiB2 hybrid metal matrix composite. Indian journal of science and technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S2):101-05.
- Senapati AK, Mishra PC, Routray BC, Ganguly RI. Mechanical behaviour of aluminium metal matrix composite reinforced with untreated and treated waste fly ash. Indian journal of science and technology. 2015 May; 8(S9):111-18.
- Devaraju A, Pazhanive K. Evaluation of Microstructure, Mechanical and Wear Properties of Aluminium Reinforced with Boron Carbide Nano Composite. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(20):1-6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.