Total views : 288
Experimental Studies on Heat Transfer Performance of Double Pipe Heat Exchanger with using Baffles and Nanofluids
Objective: The present study was made to investigate the enhancement in the heat transfer characteristics of CuO water base nanofluids by inserting the baffles in the annulus of the double pipe heat exchanger. Statistical Analysis: The experimentation was carried out with distilled water and copper oxide water base nanofluids at 0.1% and 0.2% volume concentration. The effect on heat transfer coefficient and Nusselt number is determined in this experiment at various temperatures. Findings: It has been observed that in comparison to the distilled water, copper oxide nanofluids with baffles shows more heat transfer enhancement. The result showed that the Nusselt number increased by 8% without introducing baffles and nanofluids and 10-12% enhancement was observed with baffles and nanofluids. The enhancement of 22-25 % has been observed in the heat transfer coefficient at 0.1% volume concentration and 25-30 % of enhancement 0.2% volume concentration. Applications: In automobile radiators, cooling towers, air preheaters, refrigeration, air conditioning, condensers etc double pipe heat exchanger with baffles inserts can be easily implemented.
Baffles, Copper Oxide Nanofluids, Double Pipe Heat Exchanger, Heat Transfer Coefficient, Nusselt Number.
- Choi SUS. Nanofluids: A new field of scientific research and innovative applications. Heat transfer engineering. 2008; 29(5):429–31
- Paisarn N, Tanapon S. Heat transfer enhancement and pressure drop through the horizontal concentric tube with twisted wire brush inserts. International Communicatiions in Heat and Mass Transfer. 2011; 38:236–41.
- Chun BH, Kang HU, Kim SH. Effect of alumina nanoparticlesin the fluid on heat transfer in double pipe heat exchanger system. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. Korean J Chem Eng. 2008; 25(5):966–71.
- Voicu. Mixed convection ina vertical double pipe heat exchanger. International Journal of Thermal Sciences. 2007; 540–50.
- Zamzamian A. Experimental investigation of forced convective heat transfer coefficient in nanofluids of Al2O3/EG and CuO/EG in a double pipe and plate heat exchanger under turbulent flow. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 2011; 495–502.
- Duangthongsuk W, Wongwises S. Heat transfer enhancement and pressure drop characteristics of TiO2 –water nanofluid in a double tube counter flow heat exchanger. International Journal of Heat Mass Transfer. 2009; 2059–67.
- Asirvatham LG, Raja B, Lal DM, Wongwises S. Effect of convective heat transfer of nanofluids with correlations. International Journal of Heat Mass Transfer. 2011; 626–31.
- Pardhi CK, Baredar P. Performance Improvement of double pipe heat exchanger using turbulater. International Journal of Engineering Science and Advanced Technology. 881 –85.
- Mahrabian MA, Mansouri SH, Sheihzadeh GA. The overall heat transfer characterstics of double pipe heat exchanger:comparision of experimental data with pridiction of standard co-relations. International Journal of Engineering Transaction. 2002; 15(4):395–406.
- Abbasian, Arani AA, Amani J. Experimental study on the effect of TiO2 –water on heat transfer and pressure drop. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 2012; 107–15.
- Chun BH. Effect of alumina nanoparticles in the fluid on heat transfer in double pipe heat exchanger system. Korean J Chem Eng. 2008; 25(5):966–71.
- Pak B, Cho YI. Hydrodynamic and heat transfer study of dispersed fluids with submicronmetallic oxide particles. Experimental Heat Transfer. 1998; 151–70.
- Wen D, Ding Y. Experimental investigation into convective heat transfer of nanofluids at the entrance region under laminar flow conditions. International Journal of Heat Mass Transfer. 2004; 47(24):5181–88.
- Saxena R, Gangacharyulu D, Bulasara VK. Heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of dilute alumina-water nanofluids in a pipe at different power inputs. Heat Transfer Engineering. 2016. Doi:10.1080/01457632.2016.1151298.
- Kumar D, Pandey MK. Numerical investigation of heat transfer characteristics in triangular channel in light water nuclear reactor by using CuO water based nanofluids. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(16). Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i16/92574.
- Agarwal Y, Bhagoria JL. Heat transfer characteristics of a copper- nickel multi corrugated copper fins in a cross flow heat exchanger. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Nov; 4(11). ISSN: 0974-6846.
- Xuan Y, Roetzel W. Conceptions for heat transfer correlations of nanofluids. International Journal of Heat Mass Transfer. 2000; 3701–07.
- Yu W, Choi S. The role of interfacial layers in the enhanced thermal conductivity of nanofluids. Journal of Nanoparticle Research. 2003; 5:167–71.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.