Total views : 223
A Novel Denoising and Segmentation of Brain Tumors in MRI Images
Objectives: The objective of this work is to study denoising and segmentation methods to extract brain tumor area from the MRI image, implemented using MATLAB2013b and to examine its performance metrics. Methods/Statistical Analysis: As preprocessing stage is essential for better segmentation as it removes noise that makes images having similar qualities so that tumor area can be shown and extracted with great accuracy. An anisotropic diffusion filter with 8-connected neighborhood is employed for noise removal and Fast Bounding Box (FBB) for exactly showing tumor area on MRI images. Finally Support vector machine classifies the boundary and extracts the tumor from the MRI image. Findings: Brain tumor is the major cause of cancer deaths in human which is due to uncontrollable cells growth in brain portion. Prior detection, diagnosis and accurate healing of brain tumor are the primary work to prevent human death. Image segmentation can also be done in several approaches like thresholding, region growing, watersheds and contours. Specialists with their basic knowledge do manual segmentation, which is time consuming process, where this limitation can be overcome by our fully automatic proposed method. Employing of an isotropic diffusion filter with 8-connected neighborhood compare to 4-connected neighborhood results in considerable improvements in terms of lower identical error rates. Our proposed Fast Bounding Box (FBB) method is applied that exactly shows tumor area on MRI images and its central region is selected judiciously to have sample points required for functionality of one class SVM classifier training. To achieve optimal classification level there is necessity of SVM with optimum efficiency, so that we adapted Support vector machine that immediately stops its operation once all the points are separated. Application/Improvements: Segmented tumor obtained with precision are very useful for radiologists and specialists to had good idea of estimating tumor position and size with great dealt with ease and without any prior information.
Brain Tumor, Feature Extraction, Fast Bounding Box, MRI, Support Vector Machine, Tumor Extraction.
- Zhang N. Feature selection based segmentation of multisource images: application to brain tumor segmentation in multi sequence MRI [PhD Thesis]. Lyon: L’Institut National des Sciences Appliquees; 2011.
- Harati V, Khayati R, Farzan A. Fully automated tumor segmentation based on improved fuzzy connectedness algorithm in brain MR images. Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2011 Jul; 41(7):483-92.
- Singh SK, Singh KB, Singh V. Medical image de noising in the wavelet domain using Haar and Db3 filtering. IRJES. 2012 Sep; 1(1):001-8.
- Rupinderpal K, Rajneet K. Survey of de-noising methods using filters and fast wavelet transform. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering. 2013 Feb; 3(2):134-6.
- Rajeshwari S, Sree ST. Efficient quality analysis of MRI image using preprocessing techniques. Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Information and Communication Technologies (ICT); Chennai. 2013. p. 391-6.
- Anand C, Piyush C, Cheeran AN, Yashant A. Improving signal to noise ratio of low dose CT image using wavelet transform. JCSE. 2012 May; 4(5):779-87.
- Kumar BBS, Satyanarayana PS. Compression and de noising analysis from still images using symlets wavelet technique. IJARS. 2013 Aug; 2(8):1-11.
- Guo L, Zhao L, Wu Y, Li Y, Xu G, Yan Q. Tumor detection in mr images using one-class immune feature weighted SVMs. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 2011 Oct; 47(10):3849-52.
- Zhou1 J, Chan KL, Chong VFH, Krishnan SM. Extraction of brain tumor from MR images using one-class support vector machine. IEEE Proceedings of 27th Annual Conference on Engineering in Medicine and Biology; Singapore. 2005. p. 6411-4.
- Otsu N. A threshold selection method from gray level histogram. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics SMC. 1979 Jan; 9(1):62–6.
- Perona P, Malik J. Scale-space and edge detection using anisotropic diffusion. IEEE Trans on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 1990 Jul; 12(7):629–39.
- Diaz I, Boulanger P, Greiner R, Murtha A. A critical review of the effect of de-noising algorithms on MRI brain tumor segmentation. IEEE Annual International Conference on Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC); 2011 Sep. p. 3934-7.
- Rajalakshmi N, Prabha VL. Brain tumor detection of MR images based on color-converted hybrid PSO+K-means clustering segmentation. European Journal of Scientific Research. 2012 Apr; 70(1):5-14.
- Saha BN, Ray N, Greiner R, Murtha A, Zhang H. Quick detection of brain tumors and edemas: A bounding box method using symmetry. Elsevier Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics. 2012 Mar; 36(2):95–107.
- Bian ZQ, Zhang XG. Pattern Recognition [M]. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press; 2000.
- Prabhu C, Narayana Moorthy S. An improved method to overcome existing problems in brain tumor segmentation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/71374
- Baraiya N, Modi H. Comparative study of different methods for brain tumor extraction from MRI images using image processing. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(4). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i4/85624
- Jayasri T, Hemalatha M. Categorization of respiratory signal using ANN and SVM based on feature extraction algorithm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Sep; 6(9). Doi no:10.17485/ijst/2013/v6i9/37144
- Mahalakshmi S, Velmurugan T. Detection of brain tumor by particle swarm optimization using image segmentation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(22). Doi no:10.17485/ ijst/2015/v8i22/79092
- Fazli S, Nadirkhanlou P. A novel method for automatic segmentation of brain tumors in MRI images. IJASCSE. 2013; 2(6).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.