Total views : 309
Design and Development of Linear Velocity Measurement System using Texas Instruments Hall Effect Sensor DRV5023-Q1 and Microcontroller MSP430G2553
Objectives: Angular and linear velocity measurements play an important role in monitoring and controlling the speed of motors used in applications such as conveyors, turbines, robots, automobiles and other moving objects. In the present paper, an inexpensive and portable system for the measurement of rotations per minute (RPM), linear and angular velocities is developed using Texas Instruments Hall effect sensor: DRV5023-Q1 and microcontroller MSP430G2553. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A unipolar Hall sensor switch produces pulses when a tiny magnet is brought in its vicinity. These pulses are counted by using the microcontroller in a fixed time interval and number of pulses per second gives frequency or rotations per second (RPS). From frequency, RPM, angular and linear velocities are computed. Findings: The measured parameters are displayed on LCD. The experimental frequencies are compared with the frequencies measured using commercial frequency meter (PHILIPS PM6624D). The linearity in velocity measurement (RPM) is represented in the form of a graph. Application/Improvement: In the present work an inexpensive and robust system is designed and developed for the linear velocity measurement. Further, the system is portable and works on a single rechargeable 9V battery. Such systems can be used in complex environment also.
Hall Effect Sensor, Linear Velocity, MSP430G2553, RPM, Tachometer.
- Singh N, Raghuvir S, Toma T. Design of a low-cost contact-less digital tachometer with added wireless feature. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE). 2013; 3(7):21-23.
- What is a tachometer. Date of accessed: 02/09/2016: Available from: http://www.azosensors.com/article.aspx?
- Jones BE. Simple capacitance transducer for instantaneous angular velocity measurement. Electronics Letters. 1970 1st October; 6(20):651-52.
- Sergey Y, Yurish Y, Nikolay V, Kirianaki K. Design of high performances digital tachometers and tachometric systems based on the method of the depended count. Ukraine: Proceedings of the VII-th International Conference CADSM’LViV-Slavsko. 2003; p.18-22.
- Bonert R. Design of a high performance digital tachometer with a microcontroller. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement. 1989; 38(6):1104-08.
- Carlos F, Christiansen C, Battaiotto R, Fernandez D, Tacconi E. Digital measurement of angular velocity for speed control. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 1989; 36(1):79-83.
- Sreelekha K, Nagaraju B, Rao KR. Design and development of a microcontroller based system for measurement of RPM. International Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering. 2012; 1(2):9-14.
- Uttarkar NK, Kanchi RR. Elsevier Publications: Design and development of Texas Instrument’s MSP430F149 based linear velocity measurement system, ERICA. 2013; p. 460-63.
- Petrucha V, Ripka P. Rotational speed measurement and angular position reference for a cryogenic propellant electric pump. Journal of Electrical Engineering. 2015; 66(7):199-202.
- Bekirov EA, Ebubekirov EA, Asanov MM, Yu M, Zaliskyi Z. Compact electronic tachometer for unmanned aerial vehicles. IEEE 3rd International conference Actual Problems of unmanned Areial Vehicles Developments(APUAVD) Proceedings. 2015; p. 63-5.
- Das A, Das DK. Automatic speed measurements by using magnetic pickup sensor. Indian Streams Research Journal. 2014; 3(12):1-5.
- Chouthai A, Karhu R, Kulkarni S. RPM Measurement and calculations using TSOP IR receiver. International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. 2013; 2(7):3357-62.
- Cheng P, Mohamed MS, Mustafa M, Oelmann B. Contactless rotor RPM measurement using Laser mouse sensors. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement. 2012; 61(3):740-48.
- Pu JT, Wang H. A novel variable M/T method for speed measurement with high precision in a wide speed range. 2nd International Conference on Electronic & Mechanical Engineering and Information Technology (EMEIT-China). 2012; p. 1855-58.
- Xiao-Dong ZHU, Song-Nian YU. Measurement angular velocity based on video technology. China: IEEE 4th International Congress on Image and Signal Processing. 2011; p. 1936-40.
- Kumar NS, Reddy RDVR, Kumar BP. Harish A. Digital frequency meter using DMA terminal count stop method. International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2010; 2(2):34-7.
- Petrella R, Tursini M. An Embedded System for Position and Speed Measurement Adopting Incremental Encoders. IEEE transactions on Industry Applications. 2008; 44(5):1436-44.
- Ananthi C, Sekhar OC. Velocity estimation from Hall sensors using Digital Signal Processor and modelling and simulation of electro-mechanical actuator. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(26):1-7.
- DRV5023-Q1 Automotive digital-switch Hall effect sensor. Date of accessed: 9/2/2016: Available from: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/drv5023-q1.pdf.
- MSP430G25x3 mixed signal controller. Date of accessed: 16/6/2014: Available from: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430g2553.pdf.
- Gummadi S, Kanchi RR. Embedded system laboratory design using Texas Instruments launchpad with Energia. International Journal of Conceptions on Computing and Information technology. 2015; 3(1):62-8.
- Code Composer Studio (CCS) Integrated Development Environment (IDE). Date of accessed: 15/12/2015: Available from: www.ti.com/tool/ccstudio.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.