Total views : 165
Flexural Response of Fibre Reinforced Polymer Laminated Pre-stressed Concrete Beams
Objectives: To examine the effect of Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastic (GFRP) laminated on strength and deformation capacity of pre-stressed concrete beams under static loading condition. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In this study, 7 Pre-Stressed Concrete (PSC) beams were cast and laminated with GFRP. The beams were tested under monotonically increasing loading and manual readings were recorded. Sufficient data was obtained on the strength, deformation and failure characteristics of pre-stressed beams with and without GFRP laminates for beams tested under static loading. Findings: In all the pre-stressed concrete beams, 5mm UDCGFRP strengthened PSC beams showed an improved flexural strength. The test results inferred that strengthened pre-stressed concrete beams showed 93.15% increase in load carrying capacity than that of control specimens. All GFRP laminated pre-stressed concrete beams experience flexural failure. Application/Improvements: The pre-stressed concrete beams laminated with glass fibre reinforced polymer were found to be very effective in load carrying capacity, deflection and ductility. It can be also be suitably adopted for rehabilitation and restoration of corrosion damaged, old infrastructures and seismic affected concrete structures.
Fibre Reinforced Polymer, Flexural, Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastic (GFRP), Post-Tensioned, Pre-Stressed Concrete, Strengthening.
- Zealakshmi D, Ravichandran A, Kothandaraman S. Flexural Behavior of Confined Hybrid Fibre in the Plastic Hinging Region of the High Strength Concrete Beam, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(9):1-5.
- Zealakshmi D, Ravichandran A, Kothandaraman S. Prediction of Flexural Performance of Confined Hybrid Fibre Reinforced High Strength Concrete Beam by Artificial Neural Networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 2016; 9(32):1-5.
- ACI Committee 440. Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures. (ACI 440.2R-08). American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, 2008.
- Priyadharshini E, Veerakumar R, Selvamani P, Kaveri S. An Experimental Study on Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Beam using Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 2016 Jan; 9(2):1-4.
- Dawood MB, Al-Katib HH. Flexural Strength of Pre-stressed Concrete Beams With Openings and Strengthened With CFRP Sheets. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research, 2015; 4(6):161-72.
- Hosen MA, Jumaat MZ, Alengaram UJ, Islam ABM, Hashim BH. Near Surface Mounted Composites for Flexural Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Beams. Polymers, 2016; 8(3):67.
- Spadea G, Bencardino F, Sorrenti F, Swamy RN. Structural effectiveness of FRP materials in strengthening RC beams. Engineering Structures, 2015; 99:631-41.
- Hussien OF, Elafandy THK, Abdelrahman AA, Baky SA, Nasr EA. Behavior of bonded and unbonded pre stressed normal and high strength concrete beams. HBRC Journal, 2012; 8(3):239-51.
- Revathy J, Saranya S, Illakkiya B. Behaviour of Prestressed Concrete Beams Strengthened with Externally Bonded Fibre Reinforced Polymer Laminates. International Journal of Structural Analysis and Design, 2014; 1(2):60-4.
- El Meski F, Harajli M. Flexural Behavior of Unbonded Post tensioned Concrete Members Strengthened Using External FRP Composites. Journal of Composites for Construction, 2012; 17(2):197-207.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.