Total views : 279
Shuffled Frog Leaping Algorithm (SFLA) for Short Term Optimal Scheduling of Thermal Units with Emission Limitation and Prohibited Operational Zone (POZ) Constraints
Objectives: The objective of this paper is to decide the startup and shut down status of thermal generating units to meet the fluctuating load over a limited period at a lowest cost and also with lowest emission. Methods/Analysis: This paper presents Shuffled Frog Leaping Algorithm to explain short term Unit Commitment Problem solution with regard to Emission limitation and Prohibited Operating Zone (POZ) constraint. Findings: Fuel cost savings can be obtained by proper commitment of the available generating units. The total operating cost includes both the fuel cost and cost associated with the startup, shut down and maintenance of units. A variety of constraints like spinning reserve, generation limit constraint, minimum up time, minimum down time, system power balance and response rate constraints like ramp up constraint, ramp down constraint and prohibited operating zone constraints are considered for investigation. Novelty /Improvement: The problem is solved using an integer coded Shuffled Frog Leaping Algorithm which offers a practical unit commitment problem. A MATLAB code has been developed to explain the unit commitment problem using SFLA. The results are extensively validated for standard IEEE 39 bus with 10 units system. The results obtained are compared with existing method.
Economic Dispatch (ED), Emission Limitation, Prohibited Operating Zone (POZ), Shuffled Frog Leaping Algorithm (SFLA), Unit Commitment (UC).
- Kerr RH, Scheidt JL, Fontana AJ, Wiley JK. Unit commitment. IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. 1966; PAS-85:417–21
- Padhy NP. Unit commitment:A bibliographical survey. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2004; 19(2):1196–205.
- Fazlollah R, Reza E. Unit commitment in power system by combination of dynamic programming, genetic algorithm and particle swarm optimization. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(2):134–41.
- Alireza G, Rozbeh J. A new approach for solving the unit commitment problem by cuckoo search algorithm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Sep; 6(9).
- Cohen AI,Yoshimura M. A branch- and -bound algorithm for unit commitment. IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems.1983; 102:444–51.
- Dasgupta D, McGregor DR. Thermal unit commitment using genetic algorithms. Proceedings of Institution of Electrical Engineering, Generation, Transmission and Distribution. 1994; 141: 459–65.
- Yang H, Yang P, Huang C. A parallel genetic algorithm approach to solving the unit commitment problem: Implementation on the transputer networks. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1997; 12(2): 661–8.
- Lin W-M, Cheng F-S,Tsay M-T. An improved tabu search for economic dispatch with multiple minima. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2002; vol. 17: pp. 108–112.
- Wong KP, Wong YW. Short term hydro thermal scheduling part I: Simmulated annealing approach. Proceedings of Institution of Electrical Engineering, Generation, Transmission and Distribution. 1994; 141(5): 497–501.
- Selvakumar K, Vignesh RS, Vijayabalan R. Shuffled frog leaping algorithm for solving profit based unit commitment problem. Proceedings of IEEE ICCCA.2012;1–6.
- Selvakumar K, Venkatesan T, Sanavullah MY. Price Based Unit Commitment problem solution using shuffled frog leaping algorithm. Proceedings of IEEE ICAESM. 2012;794–9.
- Selvakumar K, Vijayakumar K, Palanisamy R, Karthikeyan D, Santhoshkumar G. SFLA to solve short term thermal unit commitment problem with startup and shutdown ramp limits. International review on modelling and simulations. 2015 Dec; 8(6):670–8.
- Venkatesan T Sanavullah MY. SFLA approach to solve PBUC problem with emission limitation. International Journal of Electric Power and Energy Systems. 2013; 46:1–9.
- Jahromi MZ, Bioki MMH, Rashidinejad M, Fadaeinedjad R. Solution to the unit commitment problem using an artificial neural network. Turkish Journal of Electricla Engineering and Computer Sciences. 2013; 21:198–212.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.