Total views : 294
Modeling and Control of Low Frequency Dynamics of a Smart System
Background/Objectives: Active vibration control is an important aspect in mechatronic system dynamics and control. The objective of this manuscript is to present a classical PI controller in order to control the vibrations of a piezoelectric laminate flexible cantilever beam when excited by various signals. Methods/Statistical analysis: Finite element modeling techniques are employed to analytically develop the mathematical model of the smart system which replicates the low frequency system dynamics. The sensor, exciter and control actuator dynamics are modeled as well. The programming platform selected for developing the math model is MATLAB. The developed model was exported to SIMULINK platform for the controller design wherein classical PI control technique is implemented. Findings: The developed model is verified for its accuracy from its frequency response to free vibration condition which showed a close match between the resonant frequencies of the model with that derived from theory of vibrations. PI controller is the most commonly used controller worldwide due to its ease in computation as well as cost effectiveness. Its efficiency is proved in this manuscript when the system was subjected to free vibration in open loop as well as with the controller in loop. Further, as in practical cases, the system was also subjected to harmonic excitations at the dominant resonant frequencies and here as well, the controller was highly efficient in damping out the vibrations. Application/Improvements: The work presented in this manuscript can be extrapolated to any fixed-free system in aerospace, defence as well as heavy industries. The performance of the active controller can be further improved by opting for math intensive robust control strategies.
Active Vibration Control, Modeling, Smart Systems, PI Controller.
- Xing JD, Guang M, Juan CP. Vibration Control of Piezoelectric Smart Structures Based on System Identification Technique: Numerical Simulation and Experimental Study, Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2006 Nov; 297(3-5):68093.
- Hurlebaus S, Gaul L. Smart Structure Dynamics, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2006 Feb; 20(2):25581.
- Song G, Sethi V, Li HN. Vibration Control of Civil Structures using Piezoceramic Smart Materials: A Review, Engineering Structures. 2006 Sep; 28(11):151324.
- Annadurai A, Ravichandran A. Flexural Behavior of Hybrid Fiber Reinforced High Strength Concrete, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1):15. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/74084A.
- Alhaza KA, Majeed MA. Free Vibration Control of a Cantilever Beam Using Combined Time Delay Feedback, Journal of Vibration and Control. 2012 Apr; 18(5):60921.
- Bandyopadhyay B, Manjunath TC, Umapathy M. Modeling, Control and Implementation of Smart Structures, 1st Editionn, Springer: Berlin, 2007.
- Parameswaran AP, Gangadharan K. Parametric Modeling and FPGA Based Real Time Active Vibration Control of a Piezoelectric Laminate Cantilever Beam At Resonance, Journal of Vibration and Control. 2014 Jan; 21(14):2881–95.
- Santa RK, Musalaiah G, Mohana KCK. Finite Element Analysis of a Four Wheeler Automobile Car Chassis, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):15. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i2/83339.
- Arun PP, Ananthakrishnan B, Gangadharan KV. Modeling and Design of Field Programmable Gate Array Based Real Time Robust Controller for Active Control of Vibrating Smart System, Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2015 Jun; 345:1833. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsv.2015.02.002.
- Arun PP, Ananthakrishnan B, Gangadharan KV. Design and Development of a Model Free Robust Controller for Active Control of Dominant Flexural Modes of Vibrations in a Smart System, Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2015 Oct; 355:118. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsv.2015.05.006.
- Jaffar Sadiq Ali A, Ramesh G.P. Comparison of PI and PID Controlled Wind Generator Fed Γ- Z Source Based PMSM Drives, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1):16. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/71289.
- Parameswaran AP, et.al. Active Vibration Control of a Smart Cantilever Beam on General Purpose Operating System, Defence Science Journal. 2013 Jul; 63(4):41317.
- Parameswaran AP, Gangadharan K. Active Vibration Control of a Smart Cantilever Beam at Resonance: A Comparison Between Conventional and Real Time Control. Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA), IEEE 2012, 23539.
- Fei J. Active Vibration Control of Flexible Steel Cantilever Beam using Piezoelectric Actuators. Proceedings of 37th South Eastern Symposium on System Theory, IEEE 2005, 3539.
- Hwang W, Park HC. Finite Element Modeling of Piezoelectric Sensors and Actuators, AIAA J. 1993 May; 31(5):930–37.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.