Total views : 189
Optimal Active and Reactive Power Dispatch Problem Solution using Whale Optimization Algorithm
Background/Objectives: Optimal Power Flow (OPF) problem is very common and important problem for effective power system operation and planning. OPF is previously solved by many optimization techniques. Methods/Statistical analysis: To solve the OPF problem, the Whale Optimization Algorithm (WOA) is employed on the IEEE-30 bus test system. It is a population-based algorithm.WOA is inspired from the bubble-net hunting strategy of humpback whales. WOA has a fast convergence rate due to the use of roulette wheel selection method. Various mathematical steps are used in the algorithm. Findings: The problems con-sidered in the OPF problem are Fuel Cost Reduction, Active Power Loss Minimization, and Reactive Power Loss Minimization. These problems are solved by adjusting the control parameters of the system. The results obtained by WOA are compared with other techniques such as Flower Pollination Algorithm (FPA) and Particle Swarm Optimizer (PSO). Application/Improvements: Results shows that WOA gives better optimisation values for the particular case as compared with FPA, PSO and other well-known techniques that confirm the effectiveness of the suggested algorithm.
Active Power Loss Minimization, Optimal Power Flow, Reactive Power Loss Minimization, Whale Optimization Algorithm.
- Duman S, Güvenç U, Sönmez Y, Yörükeren N. Optimal power flow using gravitational search algorithm. Energy Conversion and Management. 2012 Jul; 59:86–95.
- Bouchekara HREH, Abido MA, Chaib AE, Mehasni R. Optimal power flow using the league championship algorithm: a case study of the Algerian power system. Energy Conversion and Management. 2014 Nov; 87:58–70.
- Bouchekara HREH, Abido MA, Boucherma M. Optimal power flow using teaching-learning-based optimization technique. Electric Power Systems Research. 2014 Sep; 114:49–59.
- Ela AAAE, Abido MA. Optimal power flow using differential evolution algorithm. Electric Power Systems Research.2010 Jul; 80(7):878–85.
- Bouchekara HREH. Optimal power flow using black-holebased optimization approach. Applied Soft Computing.2014 Nov; 24:879–88.
- Frank S, Steponavice I, Rebennack S. Optimal power flow: a bibliographic survey I. Formulations and deterministic methods. Energy Systems. 2012 Sep; 3(3):221–58.
- AlRashidi MR, El-Hawary ME. Applications of computational intelligence techniques for solving the revived optimal power flow problem. Electric Power Systems Research.2009 Apr; 79(4):694–702.
- Abido MA. Optimal power flow using particle swarm optimization.International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems. 2002 Oct; 24(7):563–71.
- Lee K, Park Y, Ortiz J. A united approach to optimal real and reactive power dispatch. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. 1985 May; PAS-104(5):1147–53.
- Alsac O, Stot B. Optimal load flow with steady-state security.Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. 1974 May; PAS-93(3):745–51.
- Hariharan T, Sundaram KM. Optimal power flow using hybrid intelligent algorithm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(23):1–9.
- Rahmati M, Effatnejad R, Safari A. Comprehensive Learning Particle Swarm Optimization (CLPSO) for multi-objective optimal power flow. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Mar; 7(3):262–70.
- Mirjalili S, Lewis A. The Whale Optimization Algorithm (WOA). Journal Advance in Engineering Software. 2016 May; 95(C):51–67.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.