Total views : 100
Selective Plane Replacement Watermarking and Cryptography (SPRWC)
Background/Objectives: Telemedicine is an innovative system of healthcare provision from long distance. Though the technology adds to facilitating in reducing the patients’ visit, but requires innovative techniques to prevent illegal intruders during the transaction of medical images. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This paper introduces Selective Plane Replacement Watermarking with RSA Cryptography (SPRWRC) that combines bit plane slicing technique with a standard public key cryptographic algorithm by embedding the hospital logo as invisible watermark. The medical image that is to be shared over the public network is subjected to bit plane slicing. The hospital logo is encrypted by the standard public key cryptographic algorithm namely Rivest Shamir Adleman (RSA). The encrypted hospital logo is embedded into the MSB plane of the medical image. The LSB plane of the medical image is replaced with the embedded MSB plane. The image is reconstructed and transmitted over the public network. Findings: The hybrid algorithm explores a watermarking approach in spatial domain with hospital logo as the watermark. The maximum Entropy, NPCR and UACI values are 7.988, 0.998 and 0.46 respectively which are closer to the upper limit of theoretical values. The effectiveness of the proposed algorithm is verified against various attacks. The proposed method with encryption gives better result than without encryption due to scrambling of the watermark and embedding into the cover image does not show perceptible change on watermarked image. Application/Improvements: Protection of the integrity and confidentiality of medical images transactioned over public networks.
Bit Plane Slicing, Medical Image Security, RSA Algorithm, Watermarking.
- Turner LF. Digital data security system. Patent IPN. WO 89/08915. 1989.
- Thanki RM, Borisagar KR. Experimental study of sparse watermarking techniques for multibiometric system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(1):42–8.
- Chan CK, Cheng LM. Hiding data in images by simple LSB substitution. Elsevier Pattern Recognition. 2004 Mar; 37(3):469–74.
- Bramara Neelima K, Saravanan T. Sample image watermarking study. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 Nov; 8(31):1–5.
- Sharp T. An implementation of key based digital signal steganography. Proceedings of 4th International Workshop on Information Hiding, Springer LNCS. India. 2001 Oct; 2137:13–26.
- Ker AD. Steganalysis of LSB matching in gray scale images.IEEE Signal Processing Letters. 2005 Jun; 12(6):441–4.
- Mielikainen J. LSB matching revisited. IEEE Signal Processing Letters. 2006 May; 13(5):285–7.
- Wang RZ, Lin CF, Lin JC. Hiding data in images by optimal moderately significant bit replacement. IEEE Electronic Letters. 2000 Dec; 36(25):2069–70.
- Wang RZ, Lin CF, Lin JC. Image hiding by optimal LSB substitution and genetic algorithm. Elsevier Pattern Recognition.2001 Mar; 34(3):671–83.
- Puech W, Odrigues JM. A new crypto watermarking method for medical images safe transfer. Proceedings of the 12th European Signal processing conference (EUSIPCO’04); Vienna, Austria. 2004 Sep. p. 1481–4.
- Cheng S, Wu Q, Castleman KR. Non-ubiquitous digital watermarking for record indexing and integrity protection of medical images. Proceedings of ICIP; Italy. 2005 Sep. p.1062–5.
- Acharya RU, Bhat PS, Kumar SLC. Transmission and storage of medical images with patient information. J Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2003 Jul; 33(4):303–10.
- Memon NA, Gilani SAM, Ali A. Watermarking of chest CT scan medical images for content authentication. Proceedings of international conference on information and communication technologies; 2009 Aug. p. 175–80.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.