Total views : 276
A Novel Method of Equivalencing DFIG based Wind Farm for Stability Studies
Objectives: Analyzing the stability of large scale wind power plant (WPP) is very cumbersome and simulation time required performing the analysis is long-drawn-out. Thus a single equivalent model of WPP is developed. Methods/Statistical analysis: Kron’s based network reduction is proposed for the WPP. Two network reduction methodologies are adopted and wind turbine mechanical and electrical parameters are rescaled which is discussed in detail in the paper. Transient stability analysis is performed to validate the equivalence method. Study system consists of 23 buses with 20 DFIG wind turbine generating units connected to the main grid of utility system. Findings: Transient stability analysis is conducted for the study system. Dynamic response of detailed WPP and proposed equivalent system matches accurately for the three phases to ground fault disturbance at point of common coupling (PCC). At PCC the Voltage, Real power and Reactive power values are very close to proposed equivalent system when compared to detailed WPP. In addition, the percentage error computed is least for the proposed system. Time taken to simulate the equivalent system is very less compared to the detailed WPP and existing literature work. All the simulations are carried out in DIgSILENT Power FactoryTM software. Application/Improvements: Remarkable simulation time reduction and accuracy is achieved for the proposed method. Thus, the equivalent method is applied for quick assessment of transient stability of large scale WPP.
Dynamics Response, Kron’s Reduction, Large Scale Wind Power Plant, Network Reduction, Transient Stability.
- Fernández LM, Jurado F, Saenz JR. Aggregated dynamic model for wind farms with doubly fed induction generator wind turbines. Renewable Energy. 2008 Jan; 33(1):129–140.
- Galan HN, Canedo CJ, Loukianov A. Equivalent models of wind generation systems with SCIG. In 2012 Power Engineering and Automation Conference. 2012 Sep. p. 1–6.
- Shaik JB, Burthi LR. Application of power matrix technique for controlling DFIG wind turbine system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(23):1–5.
- Pulgar-Painemal HA, Sauer PW. Power system modal analysis considering doubly-fed induction generators. In Bulk Power System Dynamics and Control (iREP)-VIII (iREP), 2010 iREP Symposium 2010 Aug. p. 1–7.
- Kim DE, El-Sharkawi MA. Dynamic equivalent model of wind power plant using parameter identification. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 2016 Mar; 31(1):37–45.
- Ali M, Ilie IS, Milanović JV, Chicco G. Probabilistic clustering of wind generators. In IEEE PES General Meeting. 2010 Jul. p. 1–6.
- Zhou HQ, Song ZP, Wang JP, Xue Y. A review on dynamic equivalent methods for large scale wind farms. In Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC). 2011 Asia-Pacific. 2011 Mar. p. 1–7.
- Kumar SS, Thukaram D. Alternate proof for steady-state equivalent circuit of a doubly fed induction machine. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2016 Aug; 31(8):5378–83.
- Lubosny Z, Lubosny Z. Wind turbine operation in electric power systems. Advanced modeling. Heidelberg: Springer. 2003 Sep. p. 60–90.
- Heier S. Grid integration of wind energy: onshore and offshore conversion systems. Wiley-Blackwell, 3rd Edition. 2014 Jun.
- Pulgar Painemal HA. Wind farm model for power system stability analysis. Doctoral Dissertation. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2011 Jan.
- Muljadi E, Pasupulati S, Ellis A, Kosterov D. Method of equivalencing for a large wind power plant with multiple turbine representation. In Power and Energy Society General Meeting-Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century. 2008 Jul. p. 1–9.
- DIgSILENT Power Factory V14 – User Manual. file:///C:/Users/laptop/Downloads/Whats_New_V14_1.pdf. Date Accessed: 2/02/2010.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.