Total views : 4427
Digital Control of Photovoltaic based Multilevel Converter for Improved Harmonic Performance
Objectives: In the last two decades, various control algorithms have been proposed for several multilevel converter topologies each having their pros and cons compared with improvement in harmonic performance and efficiency. The multicarrier modulation strategy seems to be the most common thread for multilevel topologies. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The harmonic observations for phase shifted and phase disposition multicarrier strategy is different for cascaded and neutral point clamped topologies. The exemplification of mathematical analysis and hardware in loop results with Nexys 4 FPGA digital controller with Xilinx and MATLAB/Simulink for digital control modulation of Marx multilevel inverter for photovoltaic application is discussed. Findings: The balanced charging and discharging of the capacitor will lead to less leakage current, further reducing the health hazards to the working personals in the region. The analysis and implementation of the most suitable carrier based control strategy technique show superiority over the harmonic content for different techniques for the aforementioned topology. The hardware results show the similarity with the simulated version with comparison with pre-existing topologies. Application/Improvements: The paper discusses the application with real-time hardware photovoltaic implementation of self-boost capable Marx multilevel inverter with an added advantage of equalization with capacitor charge. An improved total harmonic distortion evaluation with preexisting topologies is presented.
Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA), Multilevel Inverters (MLI), Photovoltaic System (PVS), Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), Xilinx System Generator (XSG).
- Rodriguez J, Lai JS, Peng FZ. Multilevel Inverters: A survey of topologies, controls and applications. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2002; 49(4);724–38.
- Lai JS, Peng FZ. Multilevel converters - A new breed of power converters. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Applications. 1996; 32(3):509–17.
- Bhagwat PM, Stefanovic VR. Generalized structure of a multilevel PWM inverter. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Applications. 1983;19(6):1057–69.
- Gupta S, Ahmad A, Samuel P. Switching loss reduction of switched capacitor multilevel inverter using bus clamping modulation. Proceedings of 2015 Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON); India. 2015. p. 1–6.
- Babu AR. Comparative analysis of cascaded multilevel inverter for phase disposition and phase shift carrier PWM for different load. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(7):251–62.
- Mohan N, Undeland TM, Robbins WP. Power electronics: Converters, applications and design. 2nd ed. New York: Wiley; 1995.
- Peng FZ. A generalized multilevel inverter topology with self voltage balancing. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Applications. 2001; 37(2):611–8.
- Rodriguez JI, Leeb SB. A multilevel inverter topology for inductively coupled power transfer. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2006; 21(6):1607–17.
- Buccella C, Cecati C, Latafat H. Digital control of power converters; A survey. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Informatics. 2012; 8(3):437–47.
- Ahmad A, Samuel P, Amar Y. Solarizing India: Tapping the excellent potential. Renewable Energy Magazine, Govt of India. 2015 Dec; 9(3):13–7.
- Brito D, Gomes MA, Galotto L, Sampaio LP, Melo GA, Canesin CA. Evaluation of the main MPPT techniques for photovoltaic applications. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2013; 60(3):1156–67.
- Holmes DG, Lipo TA. Pulse width modulation for power converters principles and practice. Wiley-IEEE Press; 2003.
- Kant P, Ahmad A, Samuel P. Analysis and implementation of multicarrier modulation techniques for Marx multilevel inverter. Proceedings of IEEE 2015 International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering; Rome, Italy. 2015. p. 1149–54.
- Carrara G, Gardella S, Marchesoni M, Salutari R, Sciutto G. A new multilevel PWM method: A theoretical analysis. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 1992; 7(3):497–505.
- Hammon J, Vander Menve FS. Voltage harmonics generated by voltage-fed inverters using PWM natural sampling. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics.1988; 3(3):297–302.
- McGrath BP, Holmes DG. A comparison of multicarrier PWM strategies for cascaded and neutral point clamped multilevel inverters. Proceedings of IEEE 2000 Power Electronics Specialists Conference; 2000 Jun. p. 674–9.
- Holmes DG, McGrath BP. Opportunities for harmonic cancellation with carrier-based PWM for a two-level and multilevel cascaded inverters. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Applications. 2001; 37(2):574–82.
- Ahmad A, Gupta R. Digital PWM of cascaded multilevel voltage source inverter using FPGA. Proceedings of IEEE 2013 Students Conference on Engineering and Systems; Allahabad, India. 2013. p. 1–5.
- McGrath BP, Holmes DG. Multicarrier PWM strategies for multilevel inverters. IEEE Trans on Ind Elec. 2002; 49:858–67.
- Hinago Y, Koizumi H. A switched-capacitor inverter using series/parallel conversion with inductive load. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2012; 59(2):878–87.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.