Total views : 319
Metasurface based Circularly Polarized Reconfigurable Antenna
Objective: The polarization reconfigurable elliptical slot antenna using corner truncated square Metasurface (MS) is proposed. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The proposed antenna has an elliptical slot radiator with aperture coupled microstrip feed and Metasurface is placed just above the slot antenna. The antenna reconfigures to LP, RHCP and LHCP using Metasurface. The antenna performance is observed in its three polarization states. The Metasurface antenna is designed and numerical simulation is presented using HFSS. Findings: The investigation reveals that the antenna resonates at 3.5 GHz and it has an impedance bandwidth of 370 MHz. The linear and circular polarization is obtained when the Metasurface is rotated at different angles with relative to the slot antenna. Additionally, due to the Metasurface structure, the wide axial ratio bandwidth of about 350 MHz is obtained. The gain of about 7.5 dB is obtained for both LHCP and RHCP and that for LP is 6.8 dB. Applications: The Metasurface loaded antenna exhibit characteristics that can meet the requirements of WiMAX (3.5 GHz) applications.
Metasurface, Microstrip Patch, Polarization Reconfigurability, Slot Antenna.
- Jeen-Sheen R, Wang-Lin L, Tsair-Rong C. Circular Polarization and polarization reconfiguration designs for annular slot antennas. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations. 2012 Dec; 60(12):5998–6002.
- Nisha ASA. Hybrid coupled feed circularly polarized patch antenna for military applications. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8 (29). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i29/63684.
- Kim JM, Park JH, Baek CW, Kim YK Kwon Y. Electrostatically-driven low voltage micromechanical optical switches using robust single crystal silicon actuators. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering. 2010; 20(9):095007.
- Newman HS. RF MEMS switches and their applications. Proceeding of 40th Annual International Reliability Physics Symposium; Dallas, TX. 2002. p. 111–5.
- Kim JM, Park JH, Baek CW, Kim YK. The SiOG-based Single Crystalline Silicon (SCS) RF MEMS switch with uniform characteristics. Journal of Microelectromechanics Systems. 2004 Dec; 13(6):1036–42.
- Jung CW, Lee MK, Li G, de Flaviis F. Reconfigurable scanbeam single-arm spiral antenna integrated with RF-MEMS switches. IEEE Transaction on Antennas Propagation. 2006 Feb; 54(2):455–63.
- Yashchyshyn Y. Reconfigurable antennas based on the RF switch technology. Proceedings of 5th MEMSTECH International Conference; 2009 Apr. p. 155–7.
- Rajaraman G, Anitha M, Mukerjee A, Sood K, Jyoti R. Dual-band, miniaturized, enhanced-gain patch antennas using differentially-loaded Metastructures. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(1). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i1/53640.
- Engheta N, Ziolkowski RW. Metamaterials: Physics and engineering explorations. Wiley-IEEE Press; 2006.
- Zhou H. A novel high-directivity microstrip patch antenna based on zero-index metamaterials. IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter. 2009; 8:538–41.
- Majid HA, Abdul Rahim MK, Masri T. Microstrip antennas gain enhancement using left-handed metamaterial structure. Proceedings in Electromagnetics Research. 2009; 8:235–47.
- A. Eladati A, Denidni TA. Frequency selective surface for beam-switching applications. IEEE Transactionon Antennas and Propagations. 2013 Jan; 61(1):195–200.
- Padooru YR, Yakovlev AB, Chen PY, Alu A. Analytical modelling of conformal mantel cloaks for cylindrical objects using sub-wavelength printed and slotted array. Journal of Applied Physics. 2012; 112(3):034907.
- Chen H, Hou X, Deng L. Design of frequency selective surfaces for a planar slotted waveguide antenna. IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagations Letter. 2009; 8: 1231–3.
- Zhang J, Wang J, Chen M, Zhang Z. RCS reduction of patch array antenna by electromagnetic band-gap structure. IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter. 2012; 11:1048–51.
- Zhu HL, Cheung SW, Chung KL, Yuk TI. Linear-to circular polarization conversion using metasurface. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations. 2013 Sep; 61(9):4615–23.
- Zhu HL, Cheung SW, Liu XH, Yuk TI. Design of polarization reconfigurable antenna using Metasurface. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations. 2014 Jun; 62(6):2891–8.
- Holloway CL, Kuester EF, Smith DR. An overview of the theory and applications of Metasurfaces: The two-dimensional equivalents of metamaterials. IEEE on Antennas and Propagations Magazine. 2012 Apr; 54(2):10–35.
- Numan AB, Sharawi MS. Extraction of material parameters for metamaterials using a full wave simulator. IEEE on Antennas and Propagations Magazine, 2013 Oct; 55(5):2891–8.
- Sung YJ, Jang TU, Kim KS. A reconfigurable microstrip antenna for switchable polarization. IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letter. 2004 Nov; 14(11):534–6.
- Zhongbao W, Shanjun F, Shiquiang F, Shouli J. An inmarasat BGAn terminal patch antenna array with unequal input impedance elements and conductor-backed ACPW series-feed network. IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagations. 2012 Mar; 60(3):1642–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.