Total views : 251
A study on the Properties of Natural Sandwich Laminates
Objectives: To analyze the characteristic strengths which suits for structural applications on newly developed fiber reinforced laminates. Methods/Analysis: Four laminates were processed and prepared by including three types of reinforcements namely, natural, metallic and synthetic fibers at various combinations in polyester matrix resin. The reinforcement composition has been maintained as 30 % by weight and the polymeric resin composition has been maintained at 70 % by weight in all the laminates. The influence of reinforcements on the characteristics has been examined by changing the composition of reinforcements in each laminates. Findings: Mechanical strengths of the developed laminates under tension, compression, flexure and impact have been investigated. The work revealed that the pure natural composite is lacking in all characteristic strengths but showed an extended elongation at break. All the characteristic strengths are found to be good when there is an equal composition of natural, metallic and synthetic reinforcement. Application/Improvement: Introduction of new composites helps the end users to select an appropriate alternative to conventional materials. This research work aims to develop new hybrid composite with inclusion of natural, metallic and synthetic fibers as reinforcements
Metallic Fiber, Mechanical Properties, Natural Fiber, Synthetic Fiber.
- Vinayagamoorthy R, Subramanyam KG, Nikhil Kumar T, Harshavardhan Reddy Y. Modeling and analysis of drilling induced damages on hybrid composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(16):1–10.
- Karthikeyan A, Balamurugan K, Kalpana A. The effect of SLS treatment on tensile property of coconut fiber reinforced epoxy composites. Iranian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014; 38 :157–67.
- Asgarinia S, Viriyasuthee C, Phillips S, Dube M, Baets J, Vuure AV, Verpoest I, Lessard L. Tension-tension fatigue behaviour of woven flax/epoxy composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2015 Jun;3 4(11):857–67.
- Vinayagamoorthy R, Rajeswari N. Mechanical performance studies on Vetiveria zizanioides/ Jute/glass fiber-reinforced hybrid polymeric composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2014 Jan; 33(1):81–92.
- Dalbehera S, Acharya SK. Study on mechanical properties of natural fiber reinforced woven jute-glass hybrid epoxy composites. Advanced Polymer Science and Technology. 2014 Feb; 4(1):1–6.
- Rajesh G, Prasad AVR, Gupta AVS. Mechanical and degradation properties of successive alkali treated completely biodegradable sisal fiber reinforced poly lactic acid composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2015 Jun; 34(12):951–61.
- Hamma A, Kaci M, Mohammed Ishak ZA, Pegoretti A. Starch-grafted- polypropylene/kenaf fibres composites Part 1: Mechanical performances and visco elastic behaviour. Composites: Part A- Applied Science and Manufacturing. 2014 Jan; 56:328–35.
- Vinayagamoorthy R, Sivanarasimha S, Padmanabhan V, Ganesh V, Karthikeyan S. Experimental studies on water absorption and thermal degradation of natural composites. International Journal of Applied Engineering and Research. 2015; 10(68):663–8.
- Shokrieh MM, Memar M. Stress corrosion cracking of Basalt/Epoxy composites under bending loading. Applied Composite Materials, 2010 Apr; 17(2):121–35.
- Senthil PV, Sirsshti A. Studies on material and mechanical properties of natural fiber reinforced composites. International Journal of Engineering and Science. 2014 Nov; 3(11):18–27.
- Vinayagamoorthy R, Karthikeyan S, Prem Bhargav RS, Rajivalochan TV. Properties investigations on metallic fiber reinforced sandwich composites. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2015 Nov; 814:101–05.
- Aldo RC, Ovenstone J. Fabrication of woven metal fibre reinforced glass matrix composites. Applied Composite Materials. 1997 May; 4(3):144–55.
- Vinayagamoorthy R, Sivanarasimha S, Vinay Kumar KR, Padmanabhan V. Characteristic investigations on loofah, jute and glass fiber reinforced sandwich polymeric composites. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2015 Nov; 813:14–8.
- Razak NIA, Ibrahim NA, Zainuddin N, Rayung M, Saad WZ. The influence of chemical surface modification of kenaf fiber using hydrogen peroxide on the mechanical properties of biodegradable kenaf fiber/poly (lactic acid) composites. Molecules. 2014 Mar; 19(3):2957–68.
- Idicula M, Joseph K, Thomas S. Mechanical performance of short banana/sisal hybrid fiber reinforced polyester composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2010 Jan; 29:12–29.
- Dixit S, Verma P. The Effect of Hybridization on Mechanical Behaviour of Coir/Sisal/Jute Fibers Reinforced Polyester Composite Material. Research Journal of Chemical Science. 2012 Jun; 2(6):91–3.
- Patel VA, Parsania PH. Preparation, Physico-Chemical Study of Glass--Sisal (Treated--Untreated) Hybrid Composites of Bisphenol-C based Mixed Epoxy-Phenolic Resins. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2010 Jan; 29:52–9.
- Venkata Reddy G, Venkata Naidu S, Shobha Rani T. Impact Properties of Kapok Based Unsaturated Polyester Hybrid Composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2008 Nov; 27(16-17):1789–804.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.