Total views : 307
Mechanical Properties and Phase Transformations in Resistance Spot Welded Dissimilar Joints of AISI409M/AISI301 Steel
Objectives: In this study, the mechanical properties and phase transformations of resistance spot welded dissimilar joints between austenitic stainless steel AISI 301 and ferity stainless steel AISI 409M are investigated. Methods/Analysis: Mechanical properties such as tensile shear strength, failure energy, failure mode, nugget size and surface indentation were analysed at varying current ratings. Macrostructure was examined for size and shape. Microstructure at various locations such as, fusion zone and heat affected zones were investigated. Micro hardness measurement was done at various locations along the weld. Findings: Tensile shear strength increases with increase in welding current in expulsion free welds. Fusion zone hardness was found to be larger than that of both base metals and heat affected zones. Nugget size and energy absorbing capacity of the spot weld were found to be in correlation with weld current in expulsion free samples. Electrode indentation on the nugget surface increases with increase in welding current. Fusion zone microstructure consists of martensite and ferrite. Asymmetrical nugget shape was observed. Novelty/Improvement: Investigating the effects of resistance spot welding on the mechanical properties and phase transformations of ferritic-austenitic dissimilar metal weld joint.
AISI301, AISI409M, Dissimilar Metal Welding, Resistance Spot Welding, Tensile Shear Strength.
- Shamsul JB, Hisyam MM. Study of spot welding of austenitic stainless steel type 304. Journal of Applied Sciences Research. 2007 Jan; 3(11):1494-97.
- Pouranvari M. Effect of welding current on the mechanical response of resistance spot welds of unequal thickness steel sheets in tensile-shear loading condition. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Sciences and Engineering. 2011 Sep; 5(12):63-7.
- Hamidinejad SM, Kolahan F, Kokabi AH. The modelling and process analysis of resistance spot welding on galvanized steel sheets used in car body manufacturing. Materials and Design. 2012; 34:759-67.
- Feng JC, Wang YR, Zhang ZD. Nugget growth characteristic for AZ31B magnesium alloy during resistance spot welding. Science and Technology of Welding and Joining. 2006; 11(2):154-62.
- Pouranvari M, Marashi SPH, Alizadehsh M. Welding metallurgy of dissimilar AISI 430/DQSK steels resistance spot welds. Welding Journal. 2015 Jun; 94(6):203-10.
- Pouranvari M, Ranjbarnoodeh M. Effect of welding current on energy absorption of AISI 304 resistance spot welds. Research Journal of Applied Sciences Engineering and Technology. 2012 Sep; 4(17):2911-14.
- Alenius M, Somervuori, Hannien H. Exploring the mechanical properties of spot welded dissimilar joints for stainless and galvanized steels. Welding Journal. 2006 Dec; 85(12):305-13.
- Marashi P, Pouranvari M, Amirabdollahian S, Abedi A, Goodarzi M. Microstructure and failure behavior of dissimilar resistance spot welds between low carbon galvanized and austenitic stainless steels. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2008 May; 480(1-2):175-80.
- Pouranvari M. Analysis of fracture mode of galvanized low carbon steel resistance spot welds. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Sciences and Engineering. 2011 Sep; 2(6):36-40.
- Pouranvari M, Ranjbarnoodeh E. Resistance spot welding characteristic of ferrite-martensite DP600 dual phase advanced high strength steel-part III: mechanical properties. World Applied Sciences Journal. 2011 Jan; 15(11):1521-26.
- Sun X, Stephens EV, Khaleel MA. Effects of fusion zone size and failure mode on peak load and energy absorption of advanced high strength steel spot welds under lap shear loading conditions. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2008 Jun; 15(4):356-67.
- Pouranvari M, Asgari HR, Mosavizadeh SM, Marashi PH, Goodarzi M. Effect of weld nugget size on overload failure mode of resistance spot welds. Science and Technology of Welding and Joining. 2007; 12(3):217-25.
- Subrammanian A, Jabaraj DB, Bupesh Raja VK. Microstructure and mechanical properties of resistance spot welded joints of AISI 409M ferritic stainless steel. Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals. 2016; 69(3):767-74.
- Lippold JC, Kotecki J. Welding metallurgy and weld ability of stainless steels. John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.