Total views : 265
Parameter Optimization of Electro-Discharge Machining (EDM) in AISI D2 Die Steel using Taguchi Technique
Objectives: To find the important parameters that affects the performance output (i.e.) to boost the Material Removal Rate (MRR) of the workpiece. Methods: Electro–Discharge Machining (EDM) is a thermal based machining process which is used to remove ‘hard to cut materials’ with complex shapes. The principle with the EDM or spark eroding machining is that the unwanted materials are removed with the repeated current discharges between cathode and the anode, separated by a dielectric fluid and is subjected to an electric voltage. Findings: This paper investigates in optimizing the process variables of EDM by employing a traditional technique. The parameters chosen for optimization are pulse on time, pulse off time followed by the current and L9 Orthogonal Array (OA) has been selected to examine the impact of the process variables on the performance i.e. on the material removal rate. The experimental trials have been done on AISI D2 die steel with positive polarity and brass has been chosen as an electrode material. Applications: Mainly, the EDM are employed to machine difficult to cut materials like nickel base super alloys, titanium etc.
AISI D2 Die Steel, Design of Experiments (DOE), Electro-Discharge Machining, Material Removal Rate.
- Zhang JH, Lee TC, Lau WS. Study on the electro-discharge machining of a hot pressed aluminum oxide based ceramic. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 1997 Jan; 63(13):908-12.
- Haron CHC, Ghani JA, Burhnuddin Y, Seong YK, Sweez CY. Investigation on the influence of machining parameters when machine tool steel using EDM. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2001 Oct; 116(1):84-7.
- Lin JL, Lin CL. The use of orthogonal array with grey relational analysis to optimize the electro discharge machining process with multiple performance characteristics. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. 2002 Jan; 42(2):237-44.
- Gao Q, Zhang QH, Su SP, Zhang JH. Parameter optimization model in electro discharge machining process. Journal of Zhejiang University, Science A. 2008 Jan; 9(1):104-8.
- George PM, Ragunath PK, Manocha LM, Warrier AM. EDM machining of carbon-carbon composite a Taguchi approach. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2004 Jan; 145(1):66-71.
- Jabbaripour B, Sadeghi MH, Faridvand SH, Shabgard MR. Investigating the effects of EDM parameters on surface integrity, MRR and TWR in machining of Ti–6Al–4V. Machining Science and Technology. 2012; 16(3):419-44.
- Das MK, Kumar K, Barman TK, Sahoo P. Optimization of surface roughness and MRR using WPCA. Procedia Engineering. 2013 Nov; 64:446-55.
- Krishnan SA, Samuel GL. Multi-objective optimization of material removal rate and surface roughness in wire electrical discharge turning. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2013; 67(9-12):2021-32.
- Ikram A, Mufti NA, Saleem MQ, Khan AZ. Parametric optimization of surface roughness, kerf and MRR in WEDM using Taguchi Design of Experiment. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2013; 27(7):213341.
- Thomas S, Ramesh S, Jeykrishnan J. Parametric optimization of powder mixed electro discharge machining using Taguchi technique. International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology. 2016 Jun; 7(3):1-12.
- Rajyalakshmi G, Ramaiah PV. Application of Taguchi, Fuzzy – Grey relational analysis for process parameter optimization of WEDM on Inconel 825. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):1-12.
- J. Jeykrishnan, B. Vijaya Ramnath, S. Akilesh, R. P. Pradeep Kumar. Optimization of process parameters on EN24 tool steel using Taguchi technique in electro-discharge machining (EDM). IOP Conference series: Materials science and engineering. 2016 Sep; 149(1).
- J. Jeykrishnan, B. Vijaya Ramnath, G. Sureshrajan, M. Siva Bharath, X. Hervin Savariraj, S. AKilesh. Effects of die-sinking electro-discharge machining parameters on surface roughness in inconel 825 alloy. Indian journal of science and technology. 2016 Nov; 41(9).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.