Total views : 292
Mechanical and Micro Structural Characterization of Al6082-TiO2 Metal Matrix Composites produced via Compo Casting Method
Objectives: Aluminum Matrix Composites (AMCs) are considered as a distinct category of the advanced materials, which have superior strength, light weight and good wear resistance. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In the present study, Al6082 is chosen as matrix material and Titanium Oxide (TiO2) particles as reinforcement. Aluminum-TiO2 composites reinforced with various weight percentages (0, 3, 6 and 9 wt. %) were produced by semi-solid state compo casting route. The microstructure of fabricated composites and monolithic alloys were examined by Optical Microscope (OP). Hardness and Ultimate Tensile Strength (UTS) of the produced composites were investigated. Findings: The test results show that the mechanical behaviors of the fabricated composites are enhanced by increasing the Titanium Oxide content. The UTS and hardness of the produced composite enhanced with the addition of higher percentage of TiO2. Application/Improvements: The mechanical performances of the Al-TiO2 AMCs are higher than that of the base monolithic alloy.
Al6082, Compo Casting, Microstructural Characterization, TiO2
- Canakci A. Microstructure and abrasive wear behavior of B4C particle reinforced 2014Al matrix composites. Journal of Material Science. 2011 Apr; 46(8):2805–13.
- Rao RN, Das S. Effect of sliding distance on the wear and friction behavior of as cast and heat-treated Al-SiCp composites. Materials and Design. 2011 May; 32(5):3051–8.
- Vijayaramnath B, Elanchezhian C, Annamalai RM, Aravind S, Atreya TSA, Vignesh V, Subramanian C. Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites – A review. Review Advanced Material Science. 2014; 38:55–60.
- Reddy AC, Zitoun E. Matrix Al-alloys for silicon carbide particle reinforced Metal Matrix Composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Dec; 3(12):1184–7.
- Vinayagam M, Karthick M, Belginpaul DL. Fabrication and development of aluminum alloy AA6063-Titanium carbide composite prepared by in situ method. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015 Jan; 10(5):12475–82.
- Mohanavel V, Rajan K, Arul S, Senthil PV. Study on microstructure and mechanical behavior of Particulate Reinforced Aluminum Matrix Composites (PRAMCS). International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology. 2016; 7:252–3.
- Vijayaramnath B, Elanchezhian C, Jaivignesh M, Rajesh S, Parswajinan C, Ghias ASA. Evaluation of mechanical properties of aluminum alloy-alumina-boron carbide metal matrix composites. Materials and Design. 2014 Jun; 58:332–8.
- Srivastava MK, Mandal RK, Mohan S, Pathak JP, Ojha SN. Wear characteristics of Al-Al2O3 composites produced by powder metallurgy process. Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences. 1999; 6:27–33.
- Mohanavel V, Rajan K, Senthilkumar KR. Study on mechanical properties of AA6351 alloy reinforced with Titanium di-Boride (TiB2) composite by in situ casting method. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2015 Aug; 787:583–7.
- Dinaharan I, Murugan N, Parameswaran S. Influence of in situ formed ZrB2 particles on microstructure and mechanical properties of AA6061 Metal Matrix Composites. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2011 Jul; 528(18):5733–40.
- Anand SS, Mohan B. Enhanced hardness property in the development of Al-TiC composites through P/M techniques. Advanced Materials Research. 2012 Jul; 548:243–9.
- Mohanavel V, Arun Kumar E, Karthik M, Kumar P, Devaraj N. Evaluation of mechanical properties of AA6360 aluminum alloy – B4C – Al2O3 Metal Matrix Composites (MMCs). International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015; 10(68):753–6.
- Sajjadi SA, Ezatpour HR, Beygi H. Microstructure and mechanical properties of Al-Al2O3 micro and nano composites fabricated by stir casting. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2011 Nov; 528(29-30):8765–71.
- Sajjadi A, Niroumand B. Microstructure and mechanical properties of Al356/SiCp cast composites fabricated by a novel technique. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance. 2013 Jan; 22(1):85–93.
- Amirkhanlou S, Niroumand B. Synthesis and characteristics of 356-SiCp composites by stir casting and compo casting methods. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China. 2010 Sep; 20(S3):s788–93.
- Gladston JAK, Sherief NM, Dinaharan I, Selvam JDR. Production and characteristics of rich husk ash particulate reinforced AA6061 aluminum alloy composites by compo casting. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China. 2015 Mar; 25(3):683–91.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.