Total views : 440
Machining Characteristics of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites: A Review
Background/Objectives: In the fast growing manufacturing world, the main aim of the manufacturer is to make good quality products at minimum cost and in less time. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Over the last three decades, composite materials, plastics and ceramics have been the dominant emerging materials. The machining of these materials is not easy when comparing with traditional engineering materials because of their anisotropic properties and inhomogeneous nature. Findings: In this paper, the literature on the research topic, drilling characteristics composites were reviewed. The influence of various cutting parameters on thrust force, torque and delamination peel-up and push-out of the drill in the machining of these materials is reviewed. Improvements/Applications: The various modeling techniques used for modeling the drilling parameters, developing a model and predicting the influence of the control parameters are reviewed using the available literature.
Delamination, Machining, Process Parameters, Thrust Force, Torque.
- Doran JH, Hanley F. Machining of boron/epoxy composites. Metals Engineering Quarterly. 1972; 12(3):38–43.
- Dandekar CR, Shin YC. Modeling of machining of composite materials: A review. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. 2012; 57:102–21.
- Rao BS, Rudramoorthy R, Srinivas S, Rao BN. Effect of drilling induced damage on notched tensile and pin bearing strengths of woven GFR–epoxy composites. Materials Science and Engineering. 2008; 472:347–52.
- Davim JP, Reis P, Antonio CAC. Experimental study of drilling Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics (GFRP) manufactured by hand lay-up. Composites Science and Technology. 2004; 64(2):289–97.
- Arola D, Sultan MB, Ramulu M. Finite element modeling of edge trimming fiber reinforced plastics. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering. 2002; 124(1):32–41.
- Phadnis VA, Makhdum F, Roy A, Silberschmidt VV. Drilling in carbon/epoxy composites: Experimental investigations and finite element implementation. Composites: Part A. 2013; 47:41–51.
- Koboevic N, Jurjevic M, Koboevic Z. Influence of cutting parameters on thrust force, drilling torque and delamination during drilling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced composites. Technical Gazette. 2012; 19:391–8.
- Khashaba UA, EI-Sonbaty IA, Selmy AI, Megahed AA. Machinability analysis in drilling woven GFR/epoxy composites: Part I – Effect of machining parameters. Composites: Part A. 2010; 41:391–400.
- Khashaba UA, EI-Sonbaty IA, Selmy AI, Megahed AA. Machinability analysis in drilling woven GFR/epoxy composites: Part II – Effect of drill wear. Composites: Part A. 2010; 41:1130–7.
- Durao LM, Goncalves DJS, Tavares JMRS, de Albuquerque VHC, Vieira AA, Marques AT. Drilling tool geometry evaluation for reinforced composite laminates. Composite Structures. 2010; 92:1545–50.
- Mohan NS, Ramachandra A, Kulkarni SM. Machining of fiber reinforced thermoplastics: Influence of feed and drill size on thrust force and torque during drilling. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2005; 24:1247–57.
- Franke V. Drilling of long fiber reinforced thermoplastics – Influence of the cutting edge on the machining results. CIRP Ann Manufacturing Technology. 2011; 60:65–8.
- Ramesh M. Studies on mechanical and machining characteristics of hybrid natural fiber composites. [PhD Thesis]. 2015.
- Wang X, Wang LJ, Tao JP. Investigation on thrust in vibration drilling of fiber reinforced plastics. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2004; 148:239–44.
- Gaitonde VN, Karnik SR, Rubio JC, Correia AE, Abrao AM, Davim JP. Analysis of parametric influence on delamination in high-speed drilling of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic composites. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2008; 203:431–8.
- Zhang LB, Wang LJ, Liu XY, Zhao HW, Wang X, Luo HY. Mechanical model for predicting thrust and torque in vibration drilling fiber reinforced composite materials. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. 2001; 41:641–57.
- IIiescu D, Gehin D, Gutierrez ME, Girot F. Modeling and tool wear in drilling of CFRP. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. 2010; 50:204–13.
- Davim JP, Reis P. Study of delamination in drilling Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRP) using design experiments. Composite Structures. 2003; 59:481–7.
- Davim JP, Reis P. Drilling Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics manufactured by autoclave-experimental and statistical study. Materials and Design. 2003; 24:315–24.
- Dillibabu G, Sivajibabu K, Gowd UM. Effect of machining parameters on milled natural fiber-reinforced plastic composites. Journal of Advanced Mechanical Engineering. 2013; 1:1–12.
- Chandramohan D, Marimuthu K. Thrust force and torque in drilling the natural fiber reinforced polymer composite materials and evaluation of delamination factor for bone graft substitutes - A work of fiction approach. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2010; 2(10):6437–51.
- Valarmathi TN, Palanikumar K, Latha B. Measurement and analysis of thrust force in drilling of Particle Board (PB) composite panels. Measurement. 2013; 46:1220–30.
- Jayabal S, Natarajan U, Sekar U. Regression modeling and optimization of machinability behavior of glass-coir-polyester hybrid composite using factorial design methodology. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2011; 55:263–73.
- Chandramohan D, Marimuthu K. Drilling of natural fiber particle reinforced polymer composite material. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Studies. 2011; 1:134–45.
- Shyha I, Soo S, Aspinwall D, Bradley S. Effect of laminate configuration and feed rate on cutting performance when drilling holes in Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic composites. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2010; 210:1023–34.
- Ramesh M, Palanikumar K, Reddy KH. Experimental investigation and analysis of machining characteristics in drilling hybrid glass-sisal-jute fiber reinforced polymer composites. 5th International and 26th All India Manufacturing Technology, Design and Research Conference (AIMTDR 2014); IIT Guwahati, Assam, India. 2014,
- Linbo Z, Lijiang W, Xin W. Study on vibration drilling of fiber reinforced plastics with hybrid variation parameters method. Composites: Part A. 2003; 34:237–44.
- Durao LMP, de Moura MFSF, Marques AT. Numerical prediction of delamination onset in carbon/epoxy composites drilling. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. 2008; 75:2767–78.
- Marques AT, Durao LM, Magalhaes AG, Silva JF, Manuel J, Tavares RS. Delamination analysis of Carbon Fiber Reinforced laminates: Evaluation of a special step drill. Composites Science and Technology. 2009; 69:2376–82.
- Narayanan TL, Madhavan S, Sinha A. Investigation of thrust, torque and delamination on drilling of glass fabric/polypropylene matrix composite. IEEE Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Mechanical and Electrical Technology (ICMET); 2010. p. 99–103.
- Murthy BRN, Rodrigues LLR, Sharma NY, Anjaiah D. Influence of process parameters on the quality of the hole in drilling of GFRP composites - An experimental investigation using DOE. IEEE Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Mechanical and Electrical Technology (ICMET); 2010. p. 87–90.
- Naveen PNE, Yasaswi M, Prasad RV. Experimental investigation of drilling parameters on composite materials. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering. 2012; 2:30–7.
- Pramanik A, Zhang LC, Arsecularatne JA. Prediction of cutting forces in machining of metal matrix composites. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. 2006; 46:1975–83.
- Rajmohan T, Palanikumar K. Optimization of machining parameters for surface roughness and burr height in drilling hybrid composites. Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 2012; 27:320–8.
- Shyha IS, Aspinwall DK, Soo SL, Bradley S. Drill geometry and operating effects when cutting small diameter holes in CFRP. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. 2009; 49:1008–14.
- Dillibabu G, Sivajibabu K, Gowd UM. Optimization of machining parameters in drilling hemp fiber reinforced composites to maximize the tensile strength using design experiments. Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences. 2009; 20:385–90.
- Jayabal S, Natarajan U. Optimization of thrust force, torque and tool wear in drilling of coir fiber-reinforced composites using Nelder–Mead and genetic algorithm methods. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2010; 51:371–81.
- Ramesh M, Elvin RP, Palanikumar K, Reddy KH. Surface roughness optimization of machining parameters in machining of composite materials. International Journal of Applied Research in Mechanical Engineering. 2011; 1:26–32.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.