Total views : 288
Experimental Investigation of DSS/HRS GTAW Weldments
Objectives: The Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) of blanks 2 mm thick of Duplex Stainless Steel (DSS) and Hot Rolled Medium and High Tensile Structural Steel (HRS) is carried out to investigate the metallurgical, mechanical properties and the fracture. Methods: The characterization of the weldments involves tests, viz. macrostructure, microstructure, micro composition analysis through Energy Dispersive Analysis of X ray (EDAX) to find out the metallurgical properties and micro hardness test, tensile test, bend test to determine the mechanical properties of the weldments. Topography of tensile test fractured specimens was analyzed with the help of Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and determines the influence of the welding on the ductility of the weld material. Findings: The increase in the weld zone micro hardness and formation of dendritic delta ferrite microstructure, when compared with the DSS parent metal having elongated grained austenite with ferrite and the HRS parent metal having fine grains of ferrite, caused the joint efficiency of the DSS/HRS weldment to increase. The Energy Dispersive Analysis of X ray (EDAX) indicates the formation of dendritic delta ferrite microstructure is attributed to the presence of elements like Si and Cr. The SEM fractography analysis indicates that the weldments possess good tensile strength without decrease in ductility of the fusion zone. Applications: Experimental investigation of mechanical properties and microstructure of DSS-HRS dissimilar GTAW weld joints and fracture analysis with EDAX to identify the changes in the chemical compositions of the fractured specimen.
Duplex Stainless Steel, GTAW, Hot Rolled Steel, Mechanical Properties, Microstructure.
- Bureau of Indian Standards. 2008. Available from: http://www.bis.org.in/sf/mtd/MTD4(4730).pdf
- Topolska S, Labanowski J. Effect of microstructure on impact toughness of duplex and super duplex stainless steels. Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering. 2009 Oct; 36(2):1-11.
- Pawan Kumar BK, Nishant R. Parameters optimization for gas metal arc welding of austenitic stainless steel and low carbon steel using Taguchi’s technique. International Journal of Engineering and Management Research. 2013 Aug; 3(4):18-22
- Devakumar D, Jabaraj DB, Bupesh Raja VK, Periyasamy P. Characterization of duplex stainless steel/cold reduced low carbon steel dissimilar weld joints by GTAW. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2015 Jun; 766-767:780-78.
- Chern T, Tseng K, Tsai HL. Study of the characteristics of duplex stainless steel activated tungsten inert gas welds. Materials and Design. 2011 Jan; 32(1):255-63.
- Dupont JN, Banovic SW, Marder AR. Microstructural evolution and weldability of dissimilar welds between a super austenitic stainless steel and nickel-based alloys. Welding Research Journal. 2003 Jun:125–35.
- Tseng KH. Development and application of oxide based flux powder for tungsten inert Gas welding of austenitic stainless steel. Powder Technology. 2013 Jan; 233:72-9.
- Mirshekari GR, Taxakoli E, Atapour M, Sadeghian B. Microstructure and corrosion behavior of Multi pass gas tungsten arc welded 304L stainless steel. Materials and Design. 2014 Mar; 55:905-11.
- Deepak JR, Bupesh Raja VK, Anandapadmanaban V, Maheshwar V. Experimental investigation and finite element analysis of thermal distribution in heat affected zone of A588 steel during GMAW. International Journal of Advances in Engineering Research. 2015 Jun; 9(6):1-15.
- Tseng KH, Hsu CY. Performance of activated TIG process in austenitic stainless Steel welds. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2011 Mar; 211(3):503-12.
- Subrammanian A, Jabaraj DB, Bupesh Raja VK. Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of Resistance Spot Welded Joints of AISI 409M Ferritic Stainless Steel. Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals. 2016 Apr; 69(3):767-74.
- Devakumar D, Jabaraj DB, Bupesh Raja VK. Literature review on the effect of processing on the mechanical and metallurgical properties of low carbon steels. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2015 Jun; 10(11):5012-6.
- Ravinder SK, Jarial. Parametric optimization of TIG welding on stainless steel (202) and mild steel by using taguchi method. International Journal of Enhanced Research in Science Technology and Engineering. 2015 Jun; 4(6):484-94.
- Celik A, Alsaran A. Mechanical and structural properties of similar and dissimilar steel joints. Materials Characterization.1999 Nov; 43(5):311-8.
- Subrammanian A, Jabaraj DB, Bupesh Raja VK. Investigation of microstructure and mechanical properties of resistance spot welded dissimilar joints between ferritic stainless steel and weathering steel. Applied Mechanics and Materials.2015 Jun; 766-767:770-9.
- Parkes D, Xu W, Westerbaan D, Nayak SS, Zhou Y, Goodwin F, Bhole S, Chen DL. Microstructure and fatigue properties of fiber laser welded dissimilar joints between high strength low alloy and dual-phase steels. Materials and Design. 2013 Oct; 51:665-75.
- Devakumar D, Jabaraj DB, Bupesh Raja VK. Investigation on microstructure and mechanical properties of similar, dissimilar metal weld joints by gas tungsten arc welding. International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering. 2014 May; 2(5):23-8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.