Total views : 284
Effect of Deep Cryogenic Treatment on the Dimensional Stability of Aisi 440c Bearing Steel
The interest of realizing cryogenic treatment on various materials has been increased recently. The dimensional stability of Shallow Cryogenic Treated (SCT) and Deep Cryogenic Treated (DCT) AISI 440C bearing steel compassion with Conventionally Heat Treated (CHT) have been investigated in this paper. Thermo mechanical analysis is carried out using a dilatometer. The temperature of the CHT, SCT and DCT specimens were increased upto 810 oC (1083k) with a constant rate of 5oC/min from atmospheric temperature. By using Linear Variable Differential Transformer (LVDT) the change in length of the specimens during the experiment is measured. By using these data, Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion (α) has been found for all the specimens, and DCT specimen has 8.7% lower than SCT and 14% lower than CHT specimen.
Bearing Steel, Deep Cryogenic Treatment, Thermal Expansion Coefficient.
- Arslan Y, Uygur I, Jazdzewska A. The effect of cryogenic treatent on microstructure and mechanical response of AISI D3 tool steel punches. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering. 2015 Jun; 137(3):1–6.
- Lohith KSM, Sondur VB, Sondur VV. The effect of cryogenic treatment on the hardness friction and wear resistance of asustenitic ductile iron type D3 tool steel. Journal of Modern Engineering Research. 2014 Jul; 4(7):24–9.
- Candane D, Alagumurthi N, Palaniradja K. Effect of deep cryogenic treatent on AISI T42 high speed steel. International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology. 2013 Oct; 3(4):1164–70.
- Bensely A, Senthilkumar D, Lal DM, Nagarajan G, Rajadurai A. Effect of cryogenic treatment on tensile behaviour of case carburized steel-815M17. Journal of Material Characterization. 2007 May; 58(5):485–91.
- Akhbarizadeh A, Shafyei A, Golozar MA. Effect of cryogenic treatment on wear behaviour of D6 tool steel. Materials and Design. 2009 Sep; 30(8):3259–64.
- Meng F, Tagashira K, Sohma H. Wear resistance and micrstructure of cryogenic treated Fe-1, 4Cr-1C bearing Steel. Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia. 1994 Oct; 31(7):865–8.
- Siva RS, Jaswin AM, Lal DM. Enhancing the wear resistance of 100Cr6 bearing steel using cryogenic treatment. Tribology Transaction. 2012 Mar; 55(3):387–93.
- Amini K, Nategh S, Shafyei A, Rezaeian A. The effect of cryogenic treatment on mechanical properties of 80CrMo125 tool steel. International Journal of ISSI. 2010; 7(2):12–7.
- Idayan A, Gnanavelbabu A, Rajkumar K. Influence of deep cryogenic treatment on the mechanical properties of AISI 440C Bearing steel. Procedia Engineering. 2014 Dec; 97:1683–91.
- Jaswin MA, Lal DM. Effect of cryogenic treatment on corrossion resistance and thermal expansion of valve steels. International Journal of Engineering Echnology, Management and Applied Sciences. 2015 Mar; 3(3):305–13.
- Sona TM, Lomte SV. Effect of deep cryogenic treatment on surface integrity and dimensional stability of D2 tool steel. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology. 2015 Aug; 4(8):67–71.
- Hariharan P, Mohan S, Rajadurai A, Mohanlal D, Renganarayanan S. Effect of cryogenic treatment on dimensional stability of ball bearing. Proceedings of the International Conference on Mechanical Engineering (ICME2003); Dhaka, Bangladesh. 2003 Dec. p. 1–4.
- ASM Handbook, Heat Treating. Available from: https://books.google.co.in/books/about/ASM_handbook.html?id=ZURLAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.